Your ideal class orgainization

mellored

Legend
I'll go wild a little bit with the FF inspired mechanics: how about using the grid from FF12 to map class features and skills? All classes have a different starting point on the grid, but all classes share the same grid. All features for each class are all in the same ''sector'' on the grid. You gain XP for completing quests and use those points to progress, square by square, in you desired direction on the grid. You could go pure class and unlocking all squares for your class, go deeper and deeper in your specialized features or you can just take some features from your starting class then change direction and cross into another class grid (some kind of multi-classing).
IMO: an actual grid would both be too much to keep track of in a table-top game, as well as limits some combo's. Such as wanting to be really a lighting based two weapon fighter, and needing to specialize down the wizard, picking up unwanted fire spells, and all the way down fighter side, picking up unwated armor.

Or just a wizard, who has 29 cantrips to choose from.

But the idea of "class/sectors" and "abilites/feats/squares" could work.

Satyrn

First Post
I'd do six base classes, each one focused on a different ability score. And then I'd try to fit in various martial and magical subclasses into each.

So, like a Charismatic Hero base class would have both a martial captain subclass and a magical bard. The Smart Hero would have a martial tactician subclass and the wizard. Etc. (Ignore my desire to create a warlord for each of them.)

G

Guest 6801328

My nomination:

1. Fewer classes. Probably just Fighter, Rogue, Priest, Wizard (and I admit I struggle to differentiate the last two...it's mostly about flavor of spell...I might make the priest function mechanically more like the Warlock, honestly). These would have fewer features than in current classes, to leave more space for subclasses.

2. Subclasses would add abilities that are specific to their superclasses. An example would be an Illusionist Wizard, or Cavalier Fighter.

3. Templates would add flavorful abilities that might be attached to any class/sub-class. Woodsman, Shape-changer (which is not necessarily the same as Lycanthrope), Bard, "Animal Companion" (not sure what the noun form is of that), Psionicist, Paladin, Barbarian, Martial Artist, Zombie Master, etc.

4. Finally, Feats add finishing touches. Feats would be weaker than the most OP ones now, and would not use the same mechanic as ASIs, so that they won't be evaluated in terms of "better or worse than +2".

Draegn

Explorer
But there we go again . . . Every time I start considering what I would change about D&D I end up going so far that the game becomes unrecognizable. D&D is built upon such a flawed foundation that the only way to significantly improve upon 5e is to tear it apart and start from scratch, but then you no longer have D&D. *sigh*

When asked how I can call my game D&D I explain it like this:

If we go to Costa Coffee you have no idea of what my exact drink will be, you do however, have an expectation as to the type of beverage I'll be having. The same is said of D&D. You can expect AC, HP, HD, saving throws, "spell slots" (...by any other name....). EXP and levels. You don't know what house rules, home brew or third party content to be in play.

In my game the sum of your backgrounds define what your "class" is.

Yaarel

He Mage
I'd do six base classes, each one focused on a different ability score. And then I'd try to fit in various martial and magical subclasses into each.

So, like a Charismatic Hero base class would have both a martial captain subclass and a magical bard. The Smart Hero would have a martial tactician subclass and the wizard. Etc. (Ignore my desire to create a warlord for each of them.)

I only see four meaningful ability scores.
• Strength (athletics, gymnastics, melee combat)
• Dexterity (finetuning, range combat, stealth, crafting)
• Intelligence (perception, knowledge)
• Charisma (persuasion, empathy, will)

Along these lines, the base classes include:
• Strength − fighter
• Dexterity − rogue
• Intelligence − wizard
• Charisma − bard

But really, I would want both a magic and a nonmagical class for each ability.

Last edited:

GameOgre

Adventurer
Fighter
Magic User
Thief
Cleric
Bard

I would build each of those with class options that you pick as you level up that made you more and more specialized. A ranger for instance would just be a Fighter who picked the class abilities for outdoor survival and possibly a beast companion ect.. Your Fighter"Ranger" may not have chosen all ranger type class selection choices, maybe he doesn't want a pet or to specialize in ranged weapons...so each character would pick the class choices that he desired but there is little need for so many separate class's that can be done under the large class umbrella.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Oh, and back to FF tactics for a moment, if a little off topic.

The other thing they had was that everyone started battle with 0 magic points, and then you gained some each turn. So it took a few rounds before you could unleash your big spells.
A bit like dragon ball z, where you powered up as the fight went on.
Or 13th age's escalation die.

I think something like that would be good. Though I'm not sure of what the best mechanic for it.

For something like this, I'd really be careful of how the mechanic will interact with the narrative. For example, if it's just spending time to pull in magic, why can't you be at full magic if you are actively ambushing someone. Can you cast out-of-combat spells all day because there's no time limit of gathering power?

For particular settings, the standard trope of the power of spilled blood might work. Out of combat casting is basically done from HPs, as you have to cut yourself (or someone else) to have blood power, while in a combat there's a lot being spilled.

In that case, would it be blood you spill yourself, which gives each caster their own pool of magic, or that it's any spilt blood which means that you and any allied casters AND any foe casters are all competing to use the same pool of power. (Which might put a nice practical limit on why soldiers haven't been replaced by casters - they would get in each other's way).

Dang, I'm really feeling that right now.

Satyrn

First Post
I only see four meaningful ability scores.
• Strength (athletics, gymnastics, melee combat)
• Dexterity (finetuning, range combat, stealth, crafting)
• Intelligence (perception, knowledge)
• Charisma (persuasion, empathy, will)

Along these lines, the base classes include:
• Strength − fighter
• Dexterity − rogue
• Intelligence − wizard
• Charisma − bard

But really, I would want both a magic and a nonmagical class for each ability.
Constitution and Wisdom can be fit in there, too.

Constitution would be the Tough Hero, and would include the sort of characters that coukd be gest described by Timex's slogan - takes a licking, but keeps on ticking. The barbarian fits here, and a magical class could focus on shapeshifting or other body transformations. Plus, some sort of warlord.

Wisdom is the Dedicated Hero, and would obviously include clerics, but it would also be the source of ki for monks. And then of course there'd be some sort of Wise Leader.

The base idea is not mine. I'm stealing from D20 modern.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
SO, to finish off where we began yesterday...

MYSTICS
The Cleric: divine channeling, divine magic, decent armor/weapons, decent in a fight, as a caster, as support. Channels Divinity
--The Templar*: the best in a fight, better armor, better weapons, divine channeling, less magic. Channels Divinity.
*What's the difference between a templar and a paladin you ask? Quite obviously, the Paladin is a fighter who prays. The Templar is a pray-er who fights.
--The Ascetic["Friar/Priest/Cloistered Monk"]: the best as support (can fight, has various knowledge and skills, magical powers, etc...), less armor/weapons. Channel Spirit.
--The Warlock: the best as a caster, Arcane magic, decent armor/weapons, decent in a fight. Channel Arcane.

The Druid: nature magic, nature channeling, decent armor/weapons, decent in a fight, as a caster, as support. Channels Nature.
--The Bard: best as support, channeling, mix of magic, decent armor/weapons. Channels Nature.
--The Shaman: best in a fight, channeling, limited magic, decent armor/weapons. Channels Spirit.

WIZARDS
The Mage: best at arcane magic, limited weapons/no armor. Casts spells.
--The Illusionist: best at illusion magic.
--The Necromancer: best at necromancy.
--The Witch: best at a mix of magic.

The Psychic: best at mental powers, some telepathy, some telekinesis, some effects upon areas of the physical world, limited weapons/no armor. Manifests Powers.
--The Telepath: best at telepathy, using/manipulating the mind.
--The Telekinetic: best at telekinetics, using/manipulating objects/force energies.
--The Sorcerer: best at exerting will over a single element/area of the physical world.

mellored

Legend
For something like this, I'd really be careful of how the mechanic will interact with the narrative. For example, if it's just spending time to pull in magic, why can't you be at full magic if you are actively ambushing someone. Can you cast out-of-combat spells all day because there's no time limit of gathering power?

For particular settings, the standard trope of the power of spilled blood might work. Out of combat casting is basically done from HPs, as you have to cut yourself (or someone else) to have blood power, while in a combat there's a lot being spilled.

In that case, would it be blood you spill yourself, which gives each caster their own pool of magic, or that it's any spilt blood which means that you and any allied casters AND any foe casters are all competing to use the same pool of power. (Which might put a nice practical limit on why soldiers haven't been replaced by casters - they would get in each other's way).

Dang, I'm really feeling that right now.
There can be more than one mechanic, depending on the class.

Sorcerer's take time to gather magical energy works nicely, but holding onto it becomes straining. Warlocks and Barbarians can gather energies from spilt blood. And fighters might get's to their opponent's weaknesses, each clash of swords reveals a weakness in their defense.

Also, you can do it on the defensive side. Armor that can deflect nearly all blows, but wears out as it does so, leaving bigger and bigger gaps. "Any attack roll below 20 is is turned into a miss. Each time the armor does this, reduce it's protection is reduced by 1"

As for ambushes, make it easy to detect magic. So being full of magic makes you glow like a beacon. Easy to see it coming. Otherwise, if you use some trickery to pull it off, congratulations on your ambush.

Finally, most of out-of-combat spells already work as rituals, so making allowing it as default is fine. Then add limits to the spells you don't want people to spam. Like diamonds for resurection. Or only having 3 wishes. And I'm not worred about out-of-combat fireballs.

Remove ads