• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Standard Adventurer's Kit

Look into the Streamlight ProTac 1L. 180 lumens and pretty darn small (under 3.5"). I carry mine clipped into my right front pocket.
Looks nice. I might try one on if I don't have to go too far out of my way to find one I have to agree with Adam Savage from that link, though. Smaller and brighter is the magic combination I want, but I also want/need to be able to replace batteries by stepping into any convenience store. That Coleman is about the best combination I've found and I keep it handy for work - I just don't carry it ON me which I would prefer. Battery life is better than the Streamlight would have (just an hour for the Streamlight?) and replacement batteries are lots cheaper than 3w lithiums would be. Still, I may give it try so thanks for the recommendation.

In my desk drawer I also have a backup which is a Techlite Lumen Master - a Costco 3-for-$20 thing which is pretty good as well. 3 AAA's and also about 150 lumens I believe. Don't care for the shape of it though which is why it's in the drawer. Certainly cheap so I don't really trust its reliability either. I've had too many $40 flashlights fall out of my hand to their doom a mere 3' to the ground but the Coleman has at least survived a while.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Looks nice. I might try one on if I don't have to go too far out of my way to find one I have to agree with Adam Savage from that link, though. Smaller and brighter is the magic combination I want, but I also want/need to be able to replace batteries by stepping into any convenience store. That Coleman is about the best combination I've found and I keep it handy for work - I just don't carry it ON me which I would prefer. Battery life is better than the Streamlight would have (just an hour for the Streamlight?) and replacement batteries are lots cheaper than 3w lithiums would be. Still, I may give it try so thanks for the recommendation.

In my desk drawer I also have a backup which is a Techlite Lumen Master - a Costco 3-for-$20 thing which is pretty good as well. 3 AAA's and also about 150 lumens I believe. Don't care for the shape of it though which is why it's in the drawer. Certainly cheap so I don't really trust its reliability either. I've had too many $40 flashlights fall out of my hand to their doom a mere 3' to the ground but the Coleman has at least survived a while.

I've had mine a while and haven't replaced the battery. It's not something I carry as an emergency, get me out of the wilderness kind of light - I have other lights for that. ;) I use it at work mostly to look at various things for short periods of time and at home for the same sort of quick peeks. Works well enough for that.

I hear you about the battery thing, though. Easy to find is a hell of a lot better. In this case, for me, the size advantage is big enough. Like I said, I typically have backups around anyway. I have a 3 D cell Mag Lite in my truck and a white gas Coleman lantern. When I hunt I carry an LED head lamp (white or red light) and a backup blood trail assist light that could be used to get out of the woods in a pinch.

If I were to use my EDC flashlight for more serious work I'd probably carry something else. Like I said, though, it's small, has decent output, a strobe and an option for low power, longer use. It stays pretty securely clipped to my pocket and its button is set up in the tactical style - rear of the housing, light press for light as long as you hold (2 for strobe, 3 for low power) or click for constant on. Oh, it's also small enough that I've held it in my teeth while working on a car, too. For $50 or so it's tough to beat.

Oh, just remembered it comes with a belt pouch, too. Never used it so I can't comment on how nice/not nice it is.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Clothes, shoes, wallet, keys, phone.
When traveling to some place new, a small stuffed bear (long story--short version: Cardboard Stanley).

When dealing with empty apartment: paint & caulk stained clothes, a variety of screwdrivers, hammers, brushes, squeegees, cleaners, dremmel, power drill, and variety pack of bits.

For silly parties: Nerf Guns and Lightsaber toys, as well as Cards Against Humanity, Give Me The Brain, and Lord of the Fries
If weirdness like the zombie apocolypse strikes: poser knife (stupid design, but impresses the, well, less than savy), bungee cords, one of many swords (probably not the 2-hander Victorian "fake"), super glue, baking soda, x-acto knife, and the Handy Man's Secret Weapon: duct tape.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wallet
Money clip (with blade & nail file attachments)
Keys (the ring has a flashlight & pill case on it)
Phone
Business cards
IPod Touch
Verizon Hotspot
2-3 pens in pocket protector: typically a rollerball, a stylus/pen, and a ballpoint or multifunction pen/mechanical pencil
Sunglasses (mirrored, prescription)
Assorted jewelry

Typically, I'll also carry my iPad2, but not always.

Sometimes, I carry a pocket knife. I have a few- a couple from my BSA days, a small Victorinox and others- but mostly I leave them in places of convenience, like in my car, on my nightstand, etc.

Anything more than that, and I'm using one of my shoulder briefcases.

@ Zombie_Babies Just made a quick trip to Bass Pro and picked one up for no particularly good reason. A 12-pk of the batts was only $30 so I grabbed that too to be sure I had spares around. It fits REAL nice in the pocket. Guess I'll see how well it works on the job.

Remove ads