Spirited Away
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
Raiders of the Lost Arc
It's a Wonderful Life
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
Howl's Moving Castle
How to Train your Dragon
Mary Poppins

The book is absolutely magical and wonderful.

As for the animated movie, I loved it as a kid and still do. Topcraft, the animation studio responsible for it (and The Hobbit and Flight of Dragons) would go on to become Studio Ghibli.

*facepalm* I can't believe I forgot about The Last Unicorn. One of my all time favorites. I really should read the book though.

Descartes

Explorer
In no meaningful order here"s mine:
1. Excalibur
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. Dragonlance (animated)
4. Dragonslayer
5. The Last Unicorn
6. The Hobbit: The Journey Begins
7. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
8. The Sword & the Sorcerer
9. The Record of Lodoss War
10. Dungeons & Dragons: The Wrath of the Dragon God

So in defense of some of these choices I say: The Hobbit movies actually made the dwarves kinda bad***. In the book they were weak and a bit cowardly in my memory. The 2nd Dungeons & Dragons movie was low budget but really reflected a night of gaming. I have a flimsy overall plot and you give me bad dialogue and choices. Sounds like most games I've been in.

The second D&D movie, if it had come out first, would've probably been better-accepted. But after the drek of the first one, pretty much all forgiveness was already spent and lost. Still, the first one's soundtrack, when taken on its own, is pretty good.

The 2nd Dungeons & Dragons movie was low budget but really reflected a night of gaming. I have a flimsy overall plot and you give me bad dialogue and choices. Sounds like most games I've been in.

horacethegrey

First Post
The second D&D movie, if it had come out first, would've probably been better-accepted. But after the drek of the first one, pretty much all forgiveness was already spent and lost. Still, the first one's soundtrack, when taken on its own, is pretty good.

Eh... People will think me crazy for saying this, but I thought the 2nd D&D movie was worst than the first. I know I know... The first movie had Marlon Wayans being useless and Jeremy Irons hamming it up, but at least Irons was fun to watch! :D The 1st movie is of the 'So Bad It's Good' category, the 2nd movie was just so bad. :-S

I'm convinced that Wayans and Irons were the only ones that knew how bad it was going to end up, and thus hammed it up to the nth degree. Everyone else is playing it at face value, except maybe Richard O'Brien and Lee Arenberg.

The first movie had Marlon Wayans being useless and Jeremy Irons hamming it up, but at least Irons was fun to watch! :D The 1st movie is of the 'So Bad It's Good' category, the 2nd movie was just so bad. :-S

Jhaelen

First Post
Tough call. There are very few genuine fantasy movies that I actually consider to be good.

My favorite is probably Pan's Labyrinth followed by the LotR trilogy. I also liked Hellboy. Old favorites include Highlander, Time Bandits, and The Dark Crystal.
If I'm to include animated movies, I pretty much like everything from Studio Ghibli. My favorite Anime is 'Jin Roh'. Is 7th Element fantasy? If so, I liked that, too.

There's a lot more good sci-fi movies or - for the lack of a better term - movies with some fantastic elements than actual fantasy movies. E.g. I quite liked 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Okay...lemme see.

Nothing twee. Nothing modern. Nothing Science fantasy. And no magical realism.

So here goes.

1. Conan the Barbarian
2. Excalibur -

I could switch the one and two place very easily. For a long time Excalibur was first, but for the last decade of my life, it's been Conan. People change.

3. The Last Unicorn-I loved unicorns entirely too much as a child.
4. Dragonslayer- Vermithrax is still my favorite dragon of all time.
5. The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
6. Beastmaster-but only the first one!
7. Deathstalker 2
8. Deathstalker
9. The Sword & the Sorceror--yes, I love me some cheesy 80's fantasy.
10. Legend--haven't watched this one in a long time; it might even go higher. Again...it's the unicorns man.

Mallus

Legend
No particular order...

The 5,000 Fingers of Doctor T.
Watership Down.
The Princess Bride.
Excalibur.
The Return of the King.
Castle in the Sky.
Jason and the Argonauts.
City of Lost Children.
The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.