• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your weapon

CroBob

First Post
I'm trying to make general distinctions between certain weapon types for something I'm working on. Of these kinds of weapons, why do you choose that one instead of one of the others? What sorts of benefits does that weapon give you such that you prefer it?

Axe
Hammer
Spear
Sword

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Axe
Hammer
Spear
Sword

Depends on the PC.

Axes- as both tools & weapons- are classic for "woodsmen" who value its utility; barbarians and other warriors who like the way it can penetrate armor and shields.

Hammers are another tool/weapon- along with picks, they make a great peasant weapon, especially for masons, miners and smiths. They're also good for delivering damage to armored opponents via blunt force trauma and hydrostatic shock.

Spears are versatile and fast. Many can be thrown, all add significant reach. In a mass melee, as a thrusting weapon, their quickness can deliver deadly blows from a variety of angles. Some spears like the assegai have large, heavy, bladed points that can also deliver viscous slashing wounds.

Swords are not as good at slashing or piercing or bludgeoning as the others, but many of them can be used to deliver all three kinds of blows, making them very flexible. They're also a common symbol of nobility.

Razjah

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz made the points I was going to, so I'll just talk about why I choose certain weapons.

It depends on the PC and the mechanic behind them. For some reason many RPGs give swords great abilities. If there is no strong reason for me to have my character use an inferior weapon, I won't. For example, I want to make a character who uses a greatclub, because in real life a big chunk of wood works well as a bludgeoning device. But mechanically these weapons get gimped in most systems.

It also comes down to abilities. I'm playing a ranger in a game where I use a falchion and a few crit feats to have some debuff abilities for my character. I'd love to see reach weapons be more useful and for bludgeoning weapons be better in games. Hammers, maces, and clubs saw use with many more people than swords.

CroBob

First Post
I get that, and thank you for the feedback. However, I'm talking about the weapons themselves. What properties do they have such that you would choose one over the other, regardless how well balanced those are between eachother? What properties and uses does each weapon have, in and of that weapon, regardless who's wielding it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think I answered that question.

If you are a commoner who wants a really good weapon that can be carried without raising too many eyes, a hammer or axe is the way to go.

If you value speed and reach, you go for a spear.

Swords are for nobility and situational flexibility.

Asmor

First Post
I'm trying to make general distinctions between certain weapon types for something I'm working on. Of these kinds of weapons, why do you choose that one instead of one of the others? What sorts of benefits does that weapon give you such that you prefer it?

Axe
Hammer
Spear
Sword

Blunt weapons are more effective against armored foes, but since their lethality relies on mass they tend to be slow and difficult to wield.

Spears are great because of their reach, but if an enemy manages to get past them then they are nearly useless. They're also good for setting against the ground to receive a charge.

Swords are fast and versatile.

Not really sure why someone would choose to use an axe. It feels like a compromise between a hammer and a sword, but it lacks the stabbing capability of the sword and I don't think its mass would be sufficient to get through most armor. I guess an axe might be best against foes with medium armor, where the axe has enough momentum to actually cut through the armor.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Tomahawk or as it is now called a tactical combat hand ax - ;) Duel wield weapons and also throwing weapons, damage overall is good and useful as a tool, add to that, easy to conceal.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not really sure why someone would choose to use an axe

An axe has most of its mass concentrated at the end of a longish handle, much like a hammer or mace, coupled with the mechanical advantage of a wedge (its edge), so it concentrates that force into a small area- very good for penetrating armor or severing a limb.

delericho

Legend
IRL? The spear - I'm reasonably sure it's the one I'd be least likely to hurt myself with.

In game, it's the sword. Because of the Jedi Knights, the Knights of the Round Table, Aragorn... basically, that's just the weapon that most of the key characters in my fantasy background used.

Razjah

Explorer
IRL? The spear - I'm reasonably sure it's the one I'd be least likely to hurt myself with.

I agree.

As for the game- I'd have to go with hammer or axe. I'm bored of swords at my tables, so I want a hammer or an axe. Or a spear if I can fight like a wuxia character or a spartan.

Remove ads