• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yttermayn's "Saga of the Dragon Cult" OOC

Leif

Adventurer
So far we've got:

Helfdan: Some FR
Scott: Seminary student/demonologist?
Voda Vosa: Homeless guy named Phillip aka 'Stinky Joe'
Leif: A radio DJ named Dr. Billy Saturn [that's his on-air name, not his real name]

I used Venus Flytrap as inspiration, but I think I can work some minor humor in with the name Dr. Billy Saturn. ;) And I'm pretty much hooked now, so I eliminated the 'maybe'. Hope that's ok. I definitely want to be the 'social skill monkey' in the group. Unless there are objections?

Last edited:

Yttermayn

First Post
That will be completely spiffy! Glad to have your talent on board! Now I'm eager to see what kind of backgrounds you all work up. Any info on your First Responder yet, Helfdan? Also, if I do end up publishing stories or excerpts or something from this experiment, are there any concerns? I have been toying with the idea of doing something along the lines of what other authors have done with free podcast audio ala podiobooks.com or just a free text release like David Wellington has done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Island_%28novel%29).

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Boss, when you talked about 'first responders', I thought that an interesting and useful character would be a rescue worker/fireman/paramedic type.
That's great, [MENTION=11732]Helfdan[/MENTION]! All the firemen that I have known are cross-trained as paramedics and they're generally quite physically powerful, too. ;) He should be able to keep most of us alive, anyway, unless Yttermayn just goes nuts on us with a tpk.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
that would end the book in a most horrid fasion.

@ ytterman: if you use the game to write a book that turns into a movie, I want a part in the movie!! and maybe a .1% of the royalties from the book.

Yttermayn

First Post
Scott: Sure, since .1% of nothing is still nothing, I think I can accommodate you. ;-)
As far as player death goes, I think most or all of the main characters should probably survive to the end. Your minor, secondary characters, however, may not... Which is my subtle way of saying that it would be awesome if each of you wanted to also create secondary, less fleshed out companion characters that probably have some kind of connection to your main char. They would be more or less NPC's controlled jointly. I wouldn't get all obsessed about their stats or skills or anything, the focus would be on relationships.
Another thing I was thinking about was that at times, for dramatic/storytelling purposes, I have no problem with tossing out die rolls, particularly if there is an excellent paragraph of writing explaining how the task or check was accomplished or failed sitting in my PM inbox. This goes for both PC and NPC chars, I'd be writing them too.
A third thing I was thinking about was that we should be strict about keeping OOC stuff exclusively in the OOC thread so as not to disrupt the story flow, and make it easier to retrieve and sort the thread into documents for editing later.
Thoughts?

Leif

Adventurer
Dr. Billy Saturn

For a secondary character, what saith the DM about a starry-eyed college student awash in the throes of the hero-worship of his favorite DJ, the Doctor? Billy tells him over and over that he shouldn't follow him so much because it can only lead to trouble, but the radio/tv major at the local university is determined to get his senior project with the assistance of Billy, and, doubtless, get an A+ on it. He is also a part-time DJ at Billy's station, picking up a graveyard shift as a fill-in when someone's out for whatever reason.

Sounds good to me, how about you? :D

And hey, can I prevail upon you for 18% of your nothing? (Just so I can rub DeWar's nose in it.)

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Working on the origin. Unless I missed a particular detail about the setting, I was thinking of playing a fireman who was a rookie 9 yrs ago, when he was involved in rescue efforts at ground zero during the 9/11 attack. This shaped his perception of his career choice, and he has become a workaholic who takes every unsuccessful rescue attempt/life lost on his watch personally.

Yttermayn

First Post
That... is totally bitchin', Helfdan! I might have one or two others join us, they are personal friends who are very creative and I know at least one has done some writing. We'll see if they want aboard.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads