• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie Apocalypse campaign

Wulfang

First Post
I am looking for a system to run a 'Walking Dead' / 'Zombie Apocalypse' type campaign.

Can you recommend a system?

Ideally I would rather something that is aimed at the genre, but I am open to a generic system if need be.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I'd use Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. It's simple and easy to run. It has sanity checks that you can use for when people see the dead shambling around and for when they see horribly gruesome deaths. And it's sufficiently deadly for the genre.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Chronicles of Darkness (the nWoD core rules for humans) might also be worth a look. It has a form of sanity/morality check that you can use when people take morally questionable actions in response to the dead shambling around. How deadly it is is pretty easily controlled, such that you can have things ranging from the TV series 1st season, when everyone was pretty clumsy, to the current season, when they've all taken several levels of Badass....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think a major question comes up: What about a zombie apocalypse story are your interested in?

For example: What most interests you: interesting combat scenes against zombies, telling the story of PCs during the fall of human civilization, telling the story of the PCs in a low-resource environment with zombies as an environmental threat, or telling the story of the PCs rebuilding the world after the apocalypse?

innerdude

Legend
Savage Worlds + War of the Dead campaign setting. Seriously, this is FANTASTIC for a zombie apocalypse game.

I was a player in a group for this last year. Even if you choose to completely ignore the War of the Dead "plot point" events, the setting information, setting rules, and basic setup is excellent.

This was easily one of my top 3 all time favorite campaigns.

Wulfang

First Post
Like the Walking Dead TV Show/Comic

So telling a story of the PCs in a low-resource environment with zombies and other people as a threat.

We used to play d20 Modern for those sorts of campaigns but the system just isn't lethal enough and has no real rules that support the genre.

FFG's End of the World line has very good ideas but its a little too simplistic for my group. I mean, the system doesn't even have skills.

I'll check out "After Zombies"

Wulfang

First Post
I thought World of Darkness was mainly for vampires, the supernatural and such? Is there a supplement that goes at length about the Walking Dead?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I thought World of Darkness was mainly for vampires, the supernatural and such? Is there a supplement that goes at length about the Walking Dead?

The New World of Darkness (now called "Chronicles of Darkness". I believe) has at its core a set of rules for mundane mortals, as its own book. Vampires and other supernaturals are separate extensions off the core.

To do The Walking Dead, the PCs are just normal people, and those core rules can handle them. The zombies are monsters, and they don't really have many special powers to speak of. You may need some rules for how to deal with them in large groups, but the individuals are very basic things you can whip up yourself without much issue.

Remove ads