The Guardian on Reading RPGs: Why don’t RPG manuals count as books?

Roleplaying games are being mentioned in the mainstream press again, and you don't get much more mainstream than The Guardian. An article today, by Damien Walter, discusses the joy of reading (as opposed to playing) roleplaying games, and compares them to other forms of book reading as he asks the question "You don’t have to actually play a role-playing game for it to fire your imagination, so why don’t RPG manuals count as books?"

Roleplaying games are being mentioned in the mainstream press again, and you don't get much more mainstream than The Guardian. An article today, by Damien Walter, discusses the joy of reading (as opposed to playing) roleplaying games, and compares them to other forms of book reading as he asks the question "You don’t have to actually play a role-playing game for it to fire your imagination, so why don’t RPG manuals count as books?"

You'll find the full article here.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
They do count as books. Consider that rulebooks are really just a form of functional text - that is, they seek to instruct and explain a process..."how to." Sourcebooks are fiction with aspects of functional text if there are special rules.

I've kept a reading log since 2005, in which I list and briefly review every book I read, fiction or informational. I count my RPG books, when I finish them, as 'reads' - I see no reason not to.

Desalus

First Post
"So I’m always surprised, and a little dismayed, when RPGs are left out of the popular discussion about books and reading." Well, the first thing is that there is only one RPG that can be considered anywhere near popular. The second reason is that most people do not buy these books to simply read them, they buy it so that they can play the actual game. So let's see, you have a small amount of people buying these games, and an even smaller sub-segment buying them to read them. Is it any surprise that they are left out of popular discussion about books and reading?

Buying RPG books for the sole purpose of reading but not playing them sounds about as exciting as reading through a strategy guide for a video game, but never actually playing the video game.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ah, the Guardian. Ask a stupid question, and then fail to answer it.

While I don't care much for The Guardian, I think that this article isn't a bad one. The entire idea of "reading an RPG book for the sake of reading it, rather than to use it in a game" is something that I suspect happens quite often in the RPG community.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
While I don't care much for The Guardian, I think that this article isn't a bad one. The entire idea of "reading an RPG book for the sake of reading it, rather than to use it in a game" is something that I suspect happens quite often in the RPG community.

It happens quite often for me, as our gaming group only averages about 6 games a year, so the list of books I have read but not played seems to grow every year.

Currently in that category would be:
13th Age and 13 True Ways, Rogue Trader, DeathWatch and a few supplements, Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion, The Strange

TheSwartz

Explorer
I thought I was the only one; this is why it's weird that I say I have only played a couple games of D&D but have been a fan since I was a kid and have been reading the D&D books since 2nd ed.

delericho

Legend

I don't really have a problem with the article. But the subheading, "so why don’t RPG manuals count as books?" is a nonsense - RPGs most definitely do count as books (well, except the ones that are PDF, or other formats, of course). And since the question is a nonsense, of course he doesn't answer it.

Converse02

Explorer
Who says RPG manuals don't count as books?
I suspect lots of people, if not the majority, buy the books, skim them, and never play them. We just don't like to admit it.

Some of the books are very long, and lots of D&D fans are busy (full time jobs plus kids, girlfriend plus school, etc) I barely see my friends now, can barely keep up with work-related reading, let alone play RPGs. However, RPG books get more beautiful and cool every year, there isn't really anything like them. I am curious to see how the game evolves across editions. The new classes, new monsters, new adventures. I just like them, and I now have the money to buy multiple $40-$50 books at a time.

I, too, stopped playing at 2nd and now just collect the books. I get D&D, Star Wars RPG, Numenera, The One Ring, etc. I will never play them (maybe when I retire), but the books are works of art. I love Star Wars and LotR, and these books shred information on them in addition to the novels and movies. I just love collecting them and supporting the hobby, but I am mad busy running my family and business. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads