Tink-Tink-Boom vs. the Death Spiral: The Damage Mechanic in RPGs

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Regardless of the particular gloss, all systems with a damage mechanic fall into one of two categories: an attritional model (TTB) where you are fine until you aren’t (either falling unconscious or dying) or a system of gradual decay (Death Spiral) whereby accumulated wounds seriously impact your ability to function.

The biggest advantage of the TTB approach is simplicity. You (generally) have a bank of Hit Points. Things do damage to you that deplete that bank. When you hit zero Hit Points, you die. Some systems, like those derived from Basic Roleplaying such as Call of Cthulhu or King Arthur Pendragon, introduce a tripwire point that triggers unconsciousness prior to death—if your character takes enough damage to reduce them below that threshold, you simply pass out. Other systems, such as the Palladium Books family of games, Champions, or Dragon Heresy, break Hit Points into two categories representing mere shock or bruises on the one hand and life-threatening injuries on the other. (Often in these systems, characters have far more “shock” points than “vitality” points.)

These elaborations on the basic TTB system were presumably introduced in an effort to add a dash of “realism” to the mechanic, as that is the fundamental downside of the classic Hit Point arrangement: in real life, people who suffer repeated injuries tend to feel the effects well prior to expiring.

And thus the Death Spiral.

Whether as a result of wanting to treat injury more realistically or (somewhat paradoxically) to move the system in a more narratively-focused direction, qualitative wound categories have been around for decades. Early White Wolf games like Ars Magica and Vampire: The Masquerade helped pave the way with their hierarchical wound categories. More recent systems such as Apocalypse World and its many offshoots use variations on this approach as well, albeit often through ticking off boxes or filling in a track on the character sheet.

What these systems all have in common is that, as more boxes are ticked or wound categories are marked off, more and more penalties accrue. Perhaps in a dice pool system you lose dice out of your pool; in a system that relies on single dice rolls, you likely suffer a penalty to your roll. You might also suffer shock effects, lose actions, etc.

The point is: getting wounded slows you down and makes you a less effective fighter. It also tends to speed up your headlong rush towards the final curtain as the penalties accrue—hence the term “death spiral.”

Although there’s much to be said for the increased realism of this approach, it also must be said that it comes with an increased burden of modifiers and conditions to keep in mind. Although this may not weigh too heavily on a player’s shoulders, I can say from personal experience that keeping track of NPC wounds is often an onerous imposition for already-harried GM brains.

What do you say, gentle reader? Is the simplicity of the TTN system not worth the loss of realism? Is the Death Spiral too brutal, or is it grimly satisfying? And is that grim satisfaction worth the extra variables required of the players and GM to track?

On a final, personal note, this will be my last UGC article for EN World. It’s been a lot of fun writing these game theory articles, as well as the Storyteller’s Vault and Statosphere Roundups, and I’m looking forward to continuing to read the excellent output from UGC contributors both present and future!

This article was contributed by David Larkins (sirlarkins) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Who wrote this? talien or sirlarkins?

as a player and dm, the idea of added realism appeals to me but as the article mentions, prefer the simplistically of TTB.

Banesfinger

Explorer
I think traditional Hit Points (TTB) tends to break-down at high level due to player's suspension of disbelief:
"I have over 100 HPs so I can easily walk off that 300-foot cliff."
"I have over 100 HPs so I can have 20+ arrows sticking out of me like a pin-cushion from that line of archers"

Both systems (TTB and Death spiral) need to make 'exceptions' to their own rules for "mooks" (bad guys who can be taken out by one hit).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Like many, I fiddle with the mechanics of my own RPG system. (Well, more than one, but for here I'm talking about what I label as "My crunchy one" as opposed to "My narrative one".)

First, I use a more hybrid mechanic, with a quickly replenishing reservoir that was used both to resist and power your own high end abilities. So it had elements of "Tink".

If you didn't use that reservoir (either it's out or your saving it to power your abilities), wounds (physical, emotional, etc.) would have impacts on your characters, though nothing so all encompassing as a straight penalty to everything. Which the article labels as "death spiral" though normally when I use that term it also includes making it harder to resist damage like in Shadowrun, which I was careful not to do.

Conditional penalties push people out of their comfort zones if they impact their normal tactics, fostering creativity in a "necessity is the mother of invention" sort of way.

However, all PCs (and certain foes muhahaha) also get a free ability call "When the Going Gets Tough...". Basically, when you're down to your last legs you get a large boost to what you can do, enough to be a good boost for the ways you aren't wounded and partially offset where you are. And in this, resisting damage is boosted.

This was intended to help GMs boost tension. Before that point there are penalties, no one wants to get hurt as it either wounds you or takes from you points to activate cool powers. And the players feel it as their characters get wounded with penalties, ratcheting up tension. But the final divide between "really hurt" and "down for the count" (or dead) is a lot bigger than it looks like, so a GM can push and still know that a single bad roll won't run though the buffer and kill them off.

Though that ability is like an adrenaline high - it'll get you through whatever is happening now, but you're still badly wounded and you need to take that into consideration in your future plans.

jhilahd

Explorer
Yeah, I like both systems for each of their merits and their horrible effects on game play. :D
Hit Points are something I have to remind players, who sudden start pulling back after taking 90% damage, that they are just as effective with 1 hp than if they were at full.
Be a hero.

And Wounds(ala Savage Worlds/L5R/7th sea) or aka death spiral is great because the effects are felt as you are injured. Players in those games, for the most part, realize that combat isn't always worth it. And that a simple encounter may kill you.
And that the death spiral is sucky too. It cripples your game play, but adds a certain amount verisimilitude to the game. (I think I spelled that correctly...)

Generally speaking, I prefer the abstracted TTB to the Death Spiral mechanic.

I think that the Death Spiral mechanic is further complicated by the recovery mechanic. I don’t want to spend an entire gaming session gimped with no possibility of recovery, having to recalculate how awful I am each time it gets worse and worse. And when you’re running the game, that can be a lot of enemies with conditions to keep track of.

Philippe Marcil

First Post
This is a pretty good idea that appear in many games, I great to offset the death spiral sometime lack of dramatic comeback.

However, all PCs (and certain foes muhahaha) also get a free ability call "When the Going Gets Tough...". Basically, when you're down to your last legs you get a large boost to what you can do, enough to be a good boost for the ways you aren't wounded and partially offset where you are. And in this, resisting damage is boosted.

Though that ability is like an adrenaline high - it'll get you through whatever is happening now, but you're still badly wounded and you need to take that into consideration in your future plans.

Philippe Marcil

First Post
I think the distinction between TTB and Death Spiral is arbitrary. As discussed some system but mark or threshold in TTB that give you penalty or reward opponent (ex.: being blodied in 4 edition).

But ultimately is not realism that we grave in our rpg but dramatic feeling and gameplay impact.

Death Spiral tend to make the PC`s cagey (as noted by Blue) which is good in some game/genre (ex.: Horror Genre) but is terrible for other (ex.: High Fantasy).

As such hybrid are interesting as they should bring out some other genres. That also why some game system fall flat for some genre - D20 Modern felt a bit weird when your character could soak a shotgun blast without flinching like in a video game.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases