Tink-Tink-Boom vs. the Death Spiral: The Damage Mechanic in RPGs

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Regardless of the particular gloss, all systems with a damage mechanic fall into one of two categories: an attritional model (TTB) where you are fine until you aren’t (either falling unconscious or dying) or a system of gradual decay (Death Spiral) whereby accumulated wounds seriously impact your ability to function.

The biggest advantage of the TTB approach is simplicity. You (generally) have a bank of Hit Points. Things do damage to you that deplete that bank. When you hit zero Hit Points, you die. Some systems, like those derived from Basic Roleplaying such as Call of Cthulhu or King Arthur Pendragon, introduce a tripwire point that triggers unconsciousness prior to death—if your character takes enough damage to reduce them below that threshold, you simply pass out. Other systems, such as the Palladium Books family of games, Champions, or Dragon Heresy, break Hit Points into two categories representing mere shock or bruises on the one hand and life-threatening injuries on the other. (Often in these systems, characters have far more “shock” points than “vitality” points.)

These elaborations on the basic TTB system were presumably introduced in an effort to add a dash of “realism” to the mechanic, as that is the fundamental downside of the classic Hit Point arrangement: in real life, people who suffer repeated injuries tend to feel the effects well prior to expiring.

And thus the Death Spiral.

Whether as a result of wanting to treat injury more realistically or (somewhat paradoxically) to move the system in a more narratively-focused direction, qualitative wound categories have been around for decades. Early White Wolf games like Ars Magica and Vampire: The Masquerade helped pave the way with their hierarchical wound categories. More recent systems such as Apocalypse World and its many offshoots use variations on this approach as well, albeit often through ticking off boxes or filling in a track on the character sheet.

What these systems all have in common is that, as more boxes are ticked or wound categories are marked off, more and more penalties accrue. Perhaps in a dice pool system you lose dice out of your pool; in a system that relies on single dice rolls, you likely suffer a penalty to your roll. You might also suffer shock effects, lose actions, etc.

The point is: getting wounded slows you down and makes you a less effective fighter. It also tends to speed up your headlong rush towards the final curtain as the penalties accrue—hence the term “death spiral.”

Although there’s much to be said for the increased realism of this approach, it also must be said that it comes with an increased burden of modifiers and conditions to keep in mind. Although this may not weigh too heavily on a player’s shoulders, I can say from personal experience that keeping track of NPC wounds is often an onerous imposition for already-harried GM brains.

What do you say, gentle reader? Is the simplicity of the TTN system not worth the loss of realism? Is the Death Spiral too brutal, or is it grimly satisfying? And is that grim satisfaction worth the extra variables required of the players and GM to track?

On a final, personal note, this will be my last UGC article for EN World. It’s been a lot of fun writing these game theory articles, as well as the Storyteller’s Vault and Statosphere Roundups, and I’m looking forward to continuing to read the excellent output from UGC contributors both present and future!

This article was contributed by David Larkins (sirlarkins) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

aramis erak

Legend
That's quite possible, since most of the studies come from the age of guns.

People also often don't do proper analysis of the data. For example, the Police shootings data. The 1990 or 1991 report by DoJ (My roommate at the time ordered a copy) was analyzed and found that 1-shot stops are often not 1-shot kills, and a significant fraction of 1-shot kills are not part of a successful stop of a violent offender... (As in, they died from a single shot, but weren't stopped from fleeing and/or continuing to fight. Some died in custody, some died on the run.)

It even analyzed for accuracy where the suspect had been hit and returned fire... there was a clear "impairment of accuracy"... as in, suspects who had been shot were less likely to hit police. When the chances of being hit in a firefight drop from around 20% to 15%, that "5% impairment" is pretty valuable.

It's worth noting that police engagements are heavily biased towards under 5m; almost all officer involved shootings not being part of CRIT/SWAT/TRU are under 15m. Officers are almost universally trained to aim center of mass, as that's the best chance of a 1-shot stop. Head shots are harder, and often result in one-shot kills, but not always a 1-shot stop. (Part of that was blamed upon officers tending to be slow to call for an ambulance for someone they shot in the head. One can hypothesize on that, but the document made no conclusions on why they were slow to call. Another part of that is that many of the 70's and 80's shootings involved folks on PCP; they can often keep coming with wounds that are going to kill them in minutes. Think "Zombie-movie" levels of "feel no pain".)

The average number of rounds needed to stop someone was about 2 and change into them; the average needed to kill someone was only 3 and change.... but with police, trained tactical shooters, averaging only slightly better than 30% hit rates... 3 hits is more than a revolver can deliver. The report was instrumental in Anchorage Police switching to semi-auto weapons with high capacity magazines.

Also note: in some states, police using suppressive fire is forbidden - and many departments will punish officers if the intent was suppression against anyone other than a spree killer; it's extremely risky in terms of non-visible uninvolved persons. Now, not a few violent offenders are happy to engage in suppression fire....

Oh, and some more current data on lethality - https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
Interesting read. Not as in depth, but note the "% who were not incapacitated" numbers...

Li Shenron

Legend
I am guessing that the people who say "being injured doesn't affect your ability to fight" haven't actually been injured, and have not injured other people in fights.

I did competitive fighting for a number of years, and I can assure you that when you are hurt you are less effective. Can you keep fighting? Sure -- and maybe it is just "not quitting" that these studies cite. But you are definitely less effective.

I remember fighting with a broken rib and it was a bitch. I knew I was hurt as any repeat hit to the chest would cause sufficient pain to interrupt my attacks. My opponent realized it and the fight soon devolved into me protecting myself and slowly losing on points. I just spiraled into a loss.

I also remember a fight where my opponent was fitter than me, so I spent the second round losing points but injuring his right shoulder to drop his reaction ability. That worked as I was able to get through his guard more often. Eeked out a narrow win.

I dunno how you measure "5% impairment", but if you watch any form of competitive fighting where injury is a goal -- a boxing match, for example -- you will see that once an opponent is injured, they are most likely going to lose. Cut a boxer over the eye? Death spiral. Break an MMA opponent's rib? Death spiral.

If that wasn't the case, why would referees ever call a TKO? If they were only "5% less good" after taking injuries, why would you ever call a fight?

I think that's the problem: you are basing your opinion on unarmed fighting experience.

Try competitive fighting with a real sword or axe or morningstar or bow-and-arrows. My guess is that the first injury will be either serious enough to put you out of fight, if not outright fatal. Most of the times, the most realistic rule might after all be "0 hit points = dead", as in some older editions. I see the current rule "0 hit points = unconscious" as a very generous concession for the sake of keep going with your character (because we all know that >90% of the times it means you'll be revived).

If I had to complicate the rules, I'd rather change what happens at 0 hp, but I wouldn't change what happens before that.

I think that's the problem: you are basing your opinion on unarmed fighting experience.

Try competitive fighting with a real sword or axe or morningstar or bow-and-arrows. My guess is that the first injury will be either serious enough to put you out of fight, if not outright fatal.
Keep in mind, also, that most people who suffer sword hits within any game are wearing armor. Or if they aren't wearing armor, then they're wizards, and reality doesn't apply to them.

An unarmed strike against an unarmored foe does not seem like a terrible basis for estimating the effect of a weapon strike against armor.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Keep in mind, also, that most people who suffer sword hits within any game are wearing armor. Or if they aren't wearing armor, then they're wizards, and reality doesn't apply to them.

An unarmed strike against an unarmored foe does not seem like a terrible basis for estimating the effect of a weapon strike against armor.
I tend to strike for arm pits and the like where at all possible ... And light leathers is not going to change the nature of a spear thrust.
Then there is the barbarian ... Shrug

Starfox

Hero
My summary of what has been said so far - we can each use the rule we like, and each of us has sufficient justification in our own minds to do so. :D Good arguments from both sides, but nothing game-changing. Which was of course the respected result - but a lot of enlightening information was shared. All good.

I love a good discussion as much as some of my fictional characters enjoy a good brawl. Maybe for the same reasons.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads