Tink-Tink-Boom vs. the Death Spiral: The Damage Mechanic in RPGs

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Broadly speaking, every traditional role-playing game has some sort of system for tracking the health and well-being of its characters. Classically, as in Dungeons & Dragons, these are expressed as Hit Points. Other systems such as Savage Worlds or Vampire: The Masquerade use some sort of qualitative wound mechanic. For the purposes of this article, which will compare the relative merits of each approach, we’ll call the former approach Tink-Tink-Boom (or TTB for short) and the latter the Death Spiral.

Regardless of the particular gloss, all systems with a damage mechanic fall into one of two categories: an attritional model (TTB) where you are fine until you aren’t (either falling unconscious or dying) or a system of gradual decay (Death Spiral) whereby accumulated wounds seriously impact your ability to function.

The biggest advantage of the TTB approach is simplicity. You (generally) have a bank of Hit Points. Things do damage to you that deplete that bank. When you hit zero Hit Points, you die. Some systems, like those derived from Basic Roleplaying such as Call of Cthulhu or King Arthur Pendragon, introduce a tripwire point that triggers unconsciousness prior to death—if your character takes enough damage to reduce them below that threshold, you simply pass out. Other systems, such as the Palladium Books family of games, Champions, or Dragon Heresy, break Hit Points into two categories representing mere shock or bruises on the one hand and life-threatening injuries on the other. (Often in these systems, characters have far more “shock” points than “vitality” points.)

These elaborations on the basic TTB system were presumably introduced in an effort to add a dash of “realism” to the mechanic, as that is the fundamental downside of the classic Hit Point arrangement: in real life, people who suffer repeated injuries tend to feel the effects well prior to expiring.

And thus the Death Spiral.

Whether as a result of wanting to treat injury more realistically or (somewhat paradoxically) to move the system in a more narratively-focused direction, qualitative wound categories have been around for decades. Early White Wolf games like Ars Magica and Vampire: The Masquerade helped pave the way with their hierarchical wound categories. More recent systems such as Apocalypse World and its many offshoots use variations on this approach as well, albeit often through ticking off boxes or filling in a track on the character sheet.

What these systems all have in common is that, as more boxes are ticked or wound categories are marked off, more and more penalties accrue. Perhaps in a dice pool system you lose dice out of your pool; in a system that relies on single dice rolls, you likely suffer a penalty to your roll. You might also suffer shock effects, lose actions, etc.

The point is: getting wounded slows you down and makes you a less effective fighter. It also tends to speed up your headlong rush towards the final curtain as the penalties accrue—hence the term “death spiral.”

Although there’s much to be said for the increased realism of this approach, it also must be said that it comes with an increased burden of modifiers and conditions to keep in mind. Although this may not weigh too heavily on a player’s shoulders, I can say from personal experience that keeping track of NPC wounds is often an onerous imposition for already-harried GM brains.

What do you say, gentle reader? Is the simplicity of the TTN system not worth the loss of realism? Is the Death Spiral too brutal, or is it grimly satisfying? And is that grim satisfaction worth the extra variables required of the players and GM to track?

On a final, personal note, this will be my last UGC article for EN World. It’s been a lot of fun writing these game theory articles, as well as the Storyteller’s Vault and Statosphere Roundups, and I’m looking forward to continuing to read the excellent output from UGC contributors both present and future!

This article was contributed by David Larkins (sirlarkins) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I actually find hit points just as or even more realistic than the death spiral. People who take significant wounds go into shock and are out of the fight. If you don't go into shock, adrenaline and stress keeps you going at more or less full capacity. Only someone VERY high can continue fighting after suffering a wound that would mechanically impair them, such as the loss of the use of a limb.

There are of course exceptions, people who have gone on fighting when physically impaired. But they are exceptions.

Yeah back when I started playing I had knee jerk negative response to hit points... But the more I have read in various studies and government records about traumatic response it now seems that death spiral is the fear induced illusion. (so death spiral might just be win for the horror genre)

5 percent impairment on the government reports was the most they measured before it went to 100 percent impairment for the reasons you mention. Nature abhors death spiral. They didnt differentiate mortal vs non-mortal injuries and based on other things I have seen some of those 5 percent impairments were probably still horrible injuries which had decent chance of resulting in death.

A realistic system might be ALL death save based with minor impairments that fade fast til you really fail that save. The unpredictability of human response is however not going to be fun to play in my opinion. One guy who was able to ignore a minor injury on one occasion was fully impaired by the same injury on another occasion (and its not about being a "tough guy" either) there wasnt a good pattern.

Government studies also showed only 1 in 6 shots by police actually hit a human target ... turns out police are often not firing to hit someone though so that stat is questionable about accuracy (with suppression fire, ie battlefield control not being uncommon) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Which, given the reasoning that "death spiral" is more realistic for gritty games, is kind of ironic.

I am mulling over the "Death save for everything" for realistic games. Maybe ones with simpler chargen?

I am guessing that the people who say "being injured doesn't affect your ability to fight" haven't actually been injured, and have not injured other people in fights.

I did competitive fighting for a number of years, and I can assure you that when you are hurt you are less effective. Can you keep fighting? Sure -- and maybe it is just "not quitting" that these studies cite. But you are definitely less effective.

I remember fighting with a broken rib and it was a bitch. I knew I was hurt as any repeat hit to the chest would cause sufficient pain to interrupt my attacks. My opponent realized it and the fight soon devolved into me protecting myself and slowly losing on points. I just spiraled into a loss.

I also remember a fight where my opponent was fitter than me, so I spent the second round losing points but injuring his right shoulder to drop his reaction ability. That worked as I was able to get through his guard more often. Eeked out a narrow win.

I dunno how you measure "5% impairment", but if you watch any form of competitive fighting where injury is a goal -- a boxing match, for example -- you will see that once an opponent is injured, they are most likely going to lose. Cut a boxer over the eye? Death spiral. Break an MMA opponent's rib? Death spiral.

If that wasn't the case, why would referees ever call a TKO? If they were only "5% less good" after taking injuries, why would you ever call a fight?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I dunno about realistic for either system.

From what I've seen in multiple sources...as, I think [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION] mentions above,...the individual response and circumstances of an injury seem much wilder and more determinant that anything else. There are real-life examples of Death Spirals, TTB*, and "One Hits". I agree that "realism" might just take the form of a "damage save" mechanic that yields three results: 1)No big deal, costume damage 2) Keep going, but see how bad it is after the fight 3) You're out/down (possibly dead, but maybe roll to see how).

Personally, my beef with the TTB result is the lack of dramatic interest. There's really only one narrative there, its all Disney Damage. Yes, I've seen and even performed modifications on it to make is better. But still, if we're shooting to emulate the fiction here, TTB isn't very good at it. Heroes often have to suffer and work past all sorts of lingering injuries in dramatically interesting ways, and TTB just skips right over that. (Of course, if you're not personally shooting to emulate fiction, then TTB works just fine.)

Which means I like systems that kick out interesting wounds or consequences, but the straight up Death Spiral seems a tough bit of business. IME, the way Fate handles it (some TTB "Stress" points and some Consequences that can also absorb damage at the cost of a longer-term problem) works pretty well for my purposes, combining the best of both worlds. It seems to me that there are a lot more "hybrid" or "middle ground" systems available today that are something like this.

My $.02.

*With the exception that TTB systems rarely take into account the "coming down" aspect of adrenaline rushes. Once that adrenaline wears off and the blood pressure drops and the swelling starts to kick in....best not to think of it. Although, if a game did have this in it, that would be cool...allowing for those final moments and last words as the hero bleeds out after the fight.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I dunno how you measure "5% impairment",

Honestly I do not know either they were military studies... with inadequately revealed methods.

You know Boxing et al are generally designed to reduce injury so its a poor comparison with weapons designed to increase injury.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
*With the exception that TTB systems rarely take into account the "coming down" aspect of adrenaline rushes. Once that adrenaline wears off and the blood pressure drops and the swelling starts to kick in....best not to think of it. Although, if a game did have this in it, that would be cool...allowing for those final moments and last words as the hero bleeds out after the fight.

Yes that part is generally ignored for story reasons I think... but it might be a good tool for giving a hero a finale, particularly useful if the player wants to go with a new character and the battle was satisfying.

aramis erak

Legend
I think people underestimate the impact of melee wounds.

Blunt trauma hurts later, often in hours, not immediately, assuming it doesn't cause you to pass out from internal bleeding beforehand. Endorphins are pretty good at masking it.

Broken bones, however, are a whole 'nother matter, and most melee wounds on medieval skeletons involve breaking bones. Sometimes cleanly, sometimes not. Many, even ones that would be long term disabling, often show remodelling.

Break an arm, and that arm starts to swell pretty quickly. It can be disabling in under a minute - as the body diverts blood to stabilize it... but minor breaks usually simply make lots of pain. More than

Break the arm completely - either clean or shattered - and the arm is almost immediately useless.

Crack some ribs, and they are impairing for a week or more - but not immediately. (Lots of personal experience.)

Actually break them? As in through-break? Breathing suddenly becomes risky. Shatter them? Well, we did some destructive testing on a pig. (Humanely euthanized a few hours before. And eaten, after.) A word to the ribs sent bits of rib through the entire thoracic cavity. Blood in the lungs is highly impairing - not for the pain, but for the loss of oxygen transport.

Cut open the brachial, femoral, jugular or carotid? Unconsciousness is in under a minute from blood loss, or stop doing anything else and hold it closed until someone can surgically, magically, or via superglue, stop the bleed. And if it's the carotid or jugular, death is usually within 4 minutes, and loss of consciousness in under 30 - often under 5 seconds.

Spinal injuries, even without cutting the cord, can be instantly disabling.

Head trauma can be instantly disabling, or mildly impairing (watch the 3rd or later rounds of a few good heavyweight bouts...). trauma to the eye can instantly make ranged combat tricky, and melee much harder.

Endorphins can't overcome the physical limitations of damaged tissues - cut, break, or rupture the tendon, and the limb doesn't move. Rip or cut the muscle, it cannot pull the tendon as well, and may rip further. You might not notice the damage, but the damage doesn't care.

Death spirals are VERY real - but the chances of one-telling-blow is also very real. A good system has both.

Then, there are systems where one hit is all it takes - barring exceptional situations. Firefly comes to mind - any hit takes you out... unless someone spends a plot point to instead turn it into a wound. Not really all that realistic, even if one assumes real people usually have a plot point or two... but it's great as a game artifice.

I've played pure one-hit-ends games, I've played general impairment until KO'd games. I've played specific impairment games. I've played no impairment until out of HP games... and only combinations feel right.

And only combinations really match the data from the real world.

I'm fondest of specific injury with auto-kill and insta-ko chances.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads