The foe hunter a lose-lose situation?

Corlon

First Post
I just started making an NPC foe-hunter (from masters of the wild) to aid the PCs against a new threat that they've never seen before. While I was making him though, I realized how freaking awesome he is against his favored enemy, and how mediocre he is against other enemies.

I guess that's the point, but my thoughts are: Is it really so good to have a (N)PC (PCs especially) who aren't that great against all the enemies except for one, in which they completely outshine the rest of the party against.

This NPC will basically be for setting the exposition, information, etc. so he won't effect anything too much, but I was just thinking of foe hunters in general.

Part of this awesomeness is in the spirit of a foe hunter, I gave him a bane sword, and the favored critical feat, and all that nice stuff.

shilsen

Adventurer
I don't think much of the Foe Hunter PrC either. It's essentially a "screw the PCs" type of PrC, since the DM can use it against them and it will be very effective against those PCs which are from the favored enemy group. But a PC using it has to look forward to moments of extreme effectiveness and long periods of substantial mediocrity, unless the campaign is heavily focused against the favored enemy. Not good design, IMNSHO.

Laman Stahros

First Post
The Foe Hunter best represents the focused 'I want to kill every last one of them!' type. I played such a character in 2e and I wish that there had been something like this then. The Foe Hunter doesn't care about any other enemies, he just wants to kill his focused foe.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Corlon said:
I just started making an NPC foe-hunter (from masters of the wild) to aid the PCs against a new threat that they've never seen before.

I think you are better off making a ranger NPC and give him a really bad attitude problem against his chief favoured enemy. The foe-hunter was a 3.0 class and with the (much needed) changes to rangers in 3.5e I think he would do the job admirably.

Remove ads