• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Secure Spellbooks

ShannonKnight

First Post
Okay here we go. Hope you guys can help me with this.
I play a slightly paranoid Wizard in D&D 3.5e (lvl 7). Well is really freaked out about loosing his spellbook since in his early adventuring days his first one got stolen. (Don't ask, I just say a not so nice company and a drinking contest, which he won but well... go figure)
So how could he make his spellbook "safer"?

P.s.: This forum is great! I've been lurking this place quite some time and it's awesome!

ARandomGod

First Post
ShannonKnight said:
Okay here we go. Hope you guys can help me with this.
I play a slightly paranoid Wizard in D&D 3.5e (lvl 7). Well is really freaked out about loosing his spellbook since in his early adventuring days his first one got stolen. (Don't ask, I just say a not so nice company and a drinking contest, which he won but well... go figure)
So how could he make his spellbook "safer"?

P.s.: This forum is great! I've been lurking this place quite some time and it's awesome!

A pagefull of Sepia Snake Sigils, and a silgil on every page.

If you're high enough just prepare it with a summon spell so you can summon it to you wherever you are.

Or perhaps combine a Bacob's Blessed Book with a once per day custom sumon attached to that mage, so that he can summon it to himself once per day.

Put it in a box in a portable hole. When you open the box, the boxes lid and floor are both Mirror's of Opposition. The book is kept under the mirror on the floor of the box.

Etc.

ph34r

First Post
The Quintessential Wizard and I think Complete Arcane both have a section with things you can add to your spellbooks. Althought I don't recall if any of them make your spellbook "safer."

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards! :D

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
With only 4th level spells, the ultimate solutions (Leomund's Secret Chest and Drawmij's Instant Summons) are out of reach.

Sepia Snake Sigil is good. Secret Page is probably slightly better, assuming you can think of something suitably innocuous.

Shrink Item doesn't actually secure the spell book, but it does make it easier to hide.

Fire Trap also works, and is probably the best you'll be able to do in *active* security.

Salad Shooter

First Post
Three words: Weapon Proficiency Greatsword

Probably a bit not a good idea, but hey..I've had wizards deal killing blows with a sword before, so why not give it a whirl?

A Magic Mouth on it could be interesting, and make a good alarm, combine it with permanency for more fun, maybe something like the magic mouths in that one Hackmaster dungeon...

Welcome to the boards!

Richards

Legend
If you can hunt up a copy of Dragon issue #262, there's an "Arcane Lore" article entitled "Spielbuk Spayle's Book of Spellbook Spells" that addresses this problem. Of course, it was written using the AD&D 2nd Edition rules, so the spells would need some updating.

Johnathan

A player of mine once wanted to have his katana wielding elven fighter-mage magically acid-etch all of his spells onto the blade of his weapon. I thought it would be cool - fewer "pages" perhaps than a typical spellbook, but way cooler too.

We also conceived of a "vitual" spellbook - a highly detailed, alterable, illusion cast into a precious gem. No reading in an anti-magic field, and no reading from this book while using True Seeing, and no actual glyph-like spells like Sepia Snake Sigil, but durable, and again, cool.

Corsair

First Post
Arbiter of Wyrms said:
We also conceived of a "vitual" spellbook - a highly detailed, alterable, illusion cast into a precious gem. No reading in an anti-magic field, and no reading from this book while using True Seeing, and no actual glyph-like spells like Sepia Snake Sigil, but durable, and again, cool.

Eberron has something akin to this, though I can't remember the name of it off hand (and I don't have my book handy)

UltimaGabe

First Post
Corsair said:
Eberron has something akin to this, though I can't remember the name of it off hand (and I don't have my book handy)

It's a Spellshard- basically a Dragonshard with, like, 50 or so pages of spells magically stored inside it. It's pretty neat.

Anyway, if you've got Complete Arcane (which you should, if you're playing a Wizard) there's lots of enchantments for Spellbooks to make them more resistant to damage and such, and a few to make them harder to steal (such as one enchantment that causes it to take the form of some other object of roughly equal size and weight until the command word is said- so you could make it take the form of a large hollow brick, or whatever you can find that's roughly the same size and weight as a spellbook.

Also, there are even different types of spellbooks altogether- such as a tattooed spellbook, for example, which is tattooed on the caster's body, with each body part being equal to a different number of pages of a spellbook. Also, you can scribe spells onto objects, such as a Necromancer scribing spells on fingerbones, or chips of wood, or whatever- effectively taking up much less space than a spellbook, but costing more (due to more expensive inks and whatnot). In any case, there's lots of alternatives in Complete Arcane.

Remove ads