Single Magic Class?

What are the various variant one-size-fits-all magic using classes?

I know of the Initiates/Wilders from Wheel of Time. There's also the Force Adept/Jedi Consular/Jedi Guardian from Star Wars.

I'm trying to decide on a three-class system. Feats (fighter type), skills (expert/rogue type) and magic (to build both wizard/sorcerors and clerics).

All skills should be class skills. Each class is meant to be a flexible rules set, so a person who is a Fighter by the rules might from a roleplaying perspective be a carpenter who just happens to have a knack at brawling. The Expert gets enough skill points to be good at a lot of things.

Everyone gets any four feats at 1st level. Fighters use this for armor, magi for metamagic and item creation, experts for whatever they want. This includes weapon and armor proficiencies. It's all very flexible, so if you want a 1st level magus with sneak attack, you can do it.

Fighter: Good BAB, one good saving throw, d10 hp/level, 2 skill points/level, 1 combat feat at 1st level, and every even level.

Expert: Poor BAB, two good saving throws, d4 hp/level, 12 skill points/level, bonus feat every 5th level.

Magus: Use the current sorcerer mechanic for casting on the fly, but use the Wizard spells per day and the wizardly mechanic for learning spells. Every spell is on the same single spell list, though we might need to change the level of a few. You can learn as many spells as you want, and don't have to pay ungodly amounts of money to learn them. A priest of a temple of healing could just read the holy scrolls of magic and learn how to cast cure light wounds, or a demon-summoner could be taught a spell by a demon he conjures. Poor BAB, one good saving throw, d4 hp/level, 2 skill points/level, 1 magic feat every 5th level.

It's up to the players to describe what their class levels mean. An Expert could be a scholar, or a skilled tracker, or a guy who grew up on tough streets and learned how to survive. You'd have things like sneak attack and possibly rage be feats that fighters could take, and for spellcasters, you could either play a generic mage with a little combat, a little summoning, a little healing; or you could play a traditional druid or cleric by picking a limited list of spells.

For example, a barbarian would be a standard fighter, picking the right feats.

1st level--rage, light armor, medium armor, shields, fast movement.
2nd level--Toughness
4th level--Rage
6th level--Toughness
8th level--Rage
10th level--Toughness
etc.

A rogue would be multiclassed.

*Expert 1--lots of skills, pick the Sneak Attack feat, light armor, a few weapons, and maybe the toughness feat.
*Exp1/Ftr 1--evasion feat
You then continue at a ratio of 1 Expert levels per 1 Fighter level.

A bard would be:

*Expert 1--perform skills galore, expert knowledge feat (lets you use your class level for untrained knowledge skill checks).
*Exp1/Mag1--pick up some spells to emulate bardic music
*Exp1/Mag1/Ftr1--get some fighter feats.

Repeat with the same ratio. I think it works very well.

WSmith

First Post
I am in the process of creating a "basic" version of D&D. Ryan, were you peaking at my notes? :D

When I get it done I will post it. It is very easy and smooth, but may need some balancing.

Just a glance, three PC classes, fighter, rogue, spellcaster.

Three stats: Str, Dex, Wits

No skills, just feats, (but focus feats are what make the rogue more of a skill master, as they get more of a bonus from the focus feat. than the other classes)

More to come later.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why not just go for a straight classless system instead of minimal classes?

I do it thus

Base Character
HD 4
Skills 6
Feats 10

Attack (BAb) and Defense are crossclass skills (for everyone)
VP/WP system (HD4+ = VP Con = WP)

PS I also use a 'levelless system based on 1 feat per 1000xp) This would need to be worked on for a system using levels

Barbarian
Feats
1. Toughness (+2)
2. Toughness (+2)
3. Toughness (+2) (HD4+6)
4. Simple Weapons
5. Martial Weapons
6. Light Armour
7. Medium Armour
8. Sheilds
9. Rage
10. Fast Movement

Bard
Feats
1. Toughness +2 (HD 4+2)
2. Simple Weapons
3. Light Armour
4. Medium Armour
5. Sheilds
6. Inspired Performer (as Prereq to:)
7. Inspire Courage
8. Countersong
9. Bardic Knowledge
10. Magery*

Wizard
1. Magery: Ability to use Magic to cast 0-level spells. A Character can cast a number of 0-level spells equal to their Wisdom modifier, they may also learn additional feats of magic (spells)
2.Spellbook:(prereq:Magery) The Wizards Spellbook allows the Wizard to record and prepare spells ahead of time and thus memorise them for use each day. A Wizard can record a number of spells equal to their intelligence modifier plus any feats of magic (spell slots) they have learnt.
3. Scribe Scroll
4. Familiar
5. Simple Weapons
6. Spell Level:(prereq:Magery) A special feat of magic which gives a spellcaster access to higher level spells. The spell level is equal to the number of times this feat is taking (eg taking this feat three times gives access to 3-level spells)
7. Feat of Magic:(prereq:Magery): The character may learn spells as feats of magic. Spells which are feats of magic do not need to be prepared each day, but still cannot be used again until the spellcaster rests..
8. Feat of Magic
9. Feat of Magic
10. Feat of Magic

Cleric
Feats
1. Toughness (HD4+2)
2. Simple Weapons
3. Light Armour
4. Medium Armour
5. Heavy Armour
6. Ordination: The Character is Ordain as a Servant of a diety and is able to invoke upon that dieties power through prayer.
7. Domain
8. Domain 2
9. Divine Grant (Prereq:Ordination): Each day the ordained character may ask her diety for the ability to use divine power to achieve various tasks.
10. Turn Undead

Fighter
1. Toughness +2
2. Toughness +2 (HD 4+4)
3. Simple Weapons
4. Martial Weapons
5. Heavy Armour
6. Medium Armour
7. Light Armour
8. Sheilds
9. Bonus Feat
10. Bonus Feat