The warlock alignment requirement of being Evil or Chaotic, a good or bad thing?

The warlock's alignment requirement of any Evil or Chaotic

frankthedm

First Post
The Warlock class write up has the alignment requirement of any Evil or Chaotic*. Is this a positive thing that balances the class, adds flavor or aides roleplaying? Or is it a negative thing that kills too many character concepts and makes the class feel too sinister?

*The Classes original write up had no listed penalty for a warlock not being one of those alignments. The Wotc F.A.Q. on the matter says that warlocks whose alignment is LN, LG, NG or N simply can not advance further in the class, but their powers remain unaffected.

Warlock (Dungeons & Dragons)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The warlock is one of the non-core character classes in the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. It was introduced in the supplemental book Complete Arcane for the 3.5 edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

Unlike sorcerers and wizards, who approach arcane magic through spells and scrolls, a warlock invokes magic through an effort of willpower. By harnessing their innate magical gift through willpower, warlocks can perform magic-like feats. Warlocks are usually of an evil or chaotic alignment, and can cast spells wearing light-armor.

Warlocks in Dungeons & Dragons receive their powers through the influence of some powerful being, such as a Demon, Devil, Fey or Elemental creature and are either born with these powers or receive them through pacts. Warlocks do not cast spells, but instead use spell-like abilities called "invocations", which represent the tapping of the power granted the warlock. The most important of these abilities is the "eldritch blast" which the warlocks main offensive ability, firing a blast of magical energy at the target. The major difference that Warlocks have from all other Dungeons & Dragons casters is their ability to use their invocations an infinite number of times. A wizard or sorcerer can cast a set number of spells everyday from a wider selection of spells than a warlock, but a warlock can use his limited abilities as many times as he wants. This aspect of the class has led some players to feel it is possibly overpowered, while others feel that the limited selection of abilities and the lack of any party enhancing abilities more than make up for this.

Invocations come in four power levels: least, lesser, greater, and dark. There are three categories of invocations as well: blast shape invocations, which modify the range and area of effect of the eldritch blast, essence invocations, which grant effects or modify the damage type of the eldritch blast, and general invocations which provide utility abilities such as flight and invisibility.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Why tether it to Chaos at all? Unless they're resurrecting the Chaos=Evil wierdness from decades back. *confused*

If they set up that elemental beings can provide a Warlock's powers, they need to assume that there's absolutely no issue with a warlock being N, and perhaps LN as well. The flavor the class only strikes me as excluding LG/NG/CG but nothing else.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I think the alignment restriction is largely dispensable. However, if a player wanted to multiclass with something that normally wouldn't be compatible for alignment reasons, I'd give it a serious second and third look.

ruleslawyer

Given that I'd peg Stephen Strange's alignment as NG, I'm not in favor of the warlock alignment restriction. ;)

That said, I'm all in favor of flavor, but I've never understood it when it comes to core class design. You're telling me a warlock can't channel a celestial being? Why can't it be a sort of exalted arcanist or hallowed mage? Or is there an "anti-warlock" out there?

I do agree that removing the alignment restrictions would suggest a need for some new less sinister invocations, but that seems like a *good* thing; as it stands, I think the warlock could use some versatility in power selection.

Shemmy: I don't think it's a chaos-evil confusion, but rather the ascription of warlock powers to a "fey" entity (very chaotic, those fey!) that puts them on the chaotic side. I don't see modron-worshiping warlocks with the given flavor, myself.

Ilium

First Post
I'm not a big fan of alignment restrictions in general, but this one really makes me say "meh, why bother". Since a warlock can be anything from Chaotic Good to Lawful Evil, it doesn't really prevent any combinations except Warlock/Paladin. I would toss the restriction.

smootrk

First Post
Silly to me. Invocations could be flavored in any manner to fit a particular campaign - fey powered, ghostly/necro powered, elemental powered, nature powered, etc. All it takes is a little care with the background and source descriptions... maybe a couple of tweaks.

frankthedm

First Post
Shemeska said:
Why tether it to Chaos at all? Unless they're resurrecting the Chaos=Evil wierdness from decades back. *confused*
I think so players in No evil campaigns would have access to the class. Also Chaos as a non-malignant violation of the laws that hold the universe together is one I personally like.
If they set up that elemental beings can provide a Warlock's powers, they need to assume that there's absolutely no issue with a warlock being N, and perhaps LN as well. The flavor the class only strikes me as excluding LG/NG/CG but nothing else.
Whoever wrote the wiki is where I believe the elemental reference came from, not the class write up. The class write up mentions Fiends and wild fey but was open ended though.

Mercule

Adventurer
I think it's a silly idea for the Warlock, in particular.

Then again, I'm of the opinion that a base class should never, ever, ever have an alignment restriction. If a concept specifically calls for an alignment restriction (paladin), then that makes it a poster child for a PrC that got mis-filed. Otherwise, it's a design that's unnecessarily limiting (see: barbarian, bard, druid, monk, warlock, hexblade -- none of which have any reason to have a restricted alignment other than a designer thinking too narrowly).

Shemeska

Adventurer
ruleslawyer said:
Shemmy: I don't think it's a chaos-evil confusion, but rather the ascription of warlock powers to a "fey" entity (very chaotic, those fey!) that puts them on the chaotic side. I don't see modron-worshiping warlocks with the given flavor, myself.

True, but I could see a Parai (visilight) one for LN, or a Wind Duke one for LN as well. And what about various LN/LE beings from Acheron: Rakshasa, Hassitor, corrupt Formians, Chronotyryns and others could be justified for LN as well.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Depends if you hold on to the cpncept of Warlocks drawing their power from demonic ancestors. In my campaigns, Warlocks replace Sorcerers, and are thought to be the "Children of Dragons", so...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases