The Age of Worms - Morrus' Campaign - Finished 6th August!!

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
As the two giants closed on us snarling, there was a sudden whimpering noise behind me. Turning, I could see Endo making a strange expression and clutching his britches. Moaning and making a series of strange expressions, the pale-skinned half orc collapsed to the floor. Fez sniffed the air.

“Did he just… soil himself,” asked the barbarian in disdain.

“DEFILERS!” My reply was cut off by the bellowing giant king in the doorway. “Ransackers of the sacred vault!”

“Wait,” I stretched out my arms imploringly to the frost giant sorcerer rather than the towering warrior behind him. “We believe that we can open the doors.”

“Defilers!” I was silenced again by the king, but the sorcerer had paused in his incantation. Swiftly, I went on to point at the doors behind us. “Kyuss,” I gestured at the image engraved on the heavy doors. “Giants,” I pointed; “dragons,” there was another gesture. “And us.” I could see the sorcerer suddenly curious, but his announcement was one of scorn.

“Preposterous. Invaders would not seek anything less than treasure within the vaults,” announced the frost giant in stentorian tones.

“Wrong. We would willingly leave treasure were our suspicions correct. Aid us. We know you have one of the keys.” As I spoke, the king’s hand twitched up towards his neck and we all saw something glinting on a chain.

“You speak true,” announced the giant. “But the other was taken by Brazzumel the Burning – mighty lieutenant of the dragon named Dragotha.”

“Dragotha, you say? The very creature whose desires we seek to thwart. So what say you? Will you aid us in our cause?” I gestured down at Endo’s prone (and faintly reeking) body. “As you can see, we are in no position to combat both yourselves and the giants.”

The two massive figures backed away up the stairs and we could hear a rumbling discussion taking place. A few moments later they returned, and the giant gripped his massive axe tightly as he nodded. “I have agreed,” he rumbled. “I have one key here, yet there is a problem. Brazzumel the Burning. We have agreed that we shall assist you – my suggestion is that we move out and make it clear that we have they key…”

Our discussions carried on for some while over the best way to combine our abilities, but in all that time Endo did not recover. With no other options, we prepared. Spell after spell was layered over us by Janga, myself and Verbennax Tor, the Frost Giant sorcerer. Giant enchantments were layered over holy blessings, which in turn overlapped with my own enthusing chants and spells. Through my spell-seeing spectacles, it was apparent that each of us was a veritable riot of spells and enhancements. We were at our very peak as we stepped out of the giant citadel to confront what was waiting for us.

.oOo.

As the heavy doors crashed shut behind us, the air was still and silent, but for the heavy wing beats of the ever-present dragons. Three truly gigantic forms detached themselves from the overhead horde, and as they descended towards us their numbers seemed to swell – magical spells made it look as though there were fifteen or twenty dragons flying tightly around one another.

As they descended, our thoughts swam with what we were about to confront – the brown scaled fang dragon was diving like a hawk, eager to close on us once again. Behind it swooped in two even larger forms, one blue, and one red – each positively swimming with mystical enchantments. They took up position hovering in the air above and ahead of us; the red directly ahead, the blue to our left, and the fang angrily stretching its claws near the bridge on the right.

Battle was joined.

.oOo.

Enchanted with the ability to see through illusions by Janga, Flynne was the quickest to act, and four of his 5 arrows slammed home into the red dragon’s massively thick hide. Although a tremendous shower of blood fell into the canyon below, the dragon’s powerful form still stretched out eager to destroy us.

Kaggro Thundersmiter, the king of the giants, unlimbered a fistful of javelins and threw three of them rapidly towards the armour-plated fang dragon – the beast simply batted them out of the air.

For myself, I began by trying to dispel the magics enhancing the blue dragon – I was astonished to see my spell taking effect beyond all reasonable expectation – it shredded through the blue dragon’s magics, and in a heartbeat it was stripped of enhancements, protections and multiple images. The dragon wailed in frustration. “You will be the first to die,” it screamed at me in angry dragon-tongue.

Whilst my spell had been tremendously effective, Tor’s was not. I saw him fling something towards the fang dragon, but it failed to ensnare the beast. It responded; flinging a spell straight back at the frost giant, and a dark wave built up as it flew towards the sorcerer, but rather than washing over him it simply rebounded on the fang dragon. Crashing home, the wave faded once again on the dragon’s powerful natural protection.

Taking flight, Fez flew over the blue dragon and unleashed a shot from his sling. I had seen the sling when he was Halfling-sized, and been astounded by what he could do with it. Swelled to the size of an annis hag, however, he was firing a slingstone the size of both my fists together, and it crashed home into the blue dragon, cracking one of its massive armoured plates with the force of the blow.

Finally, however, the mighty red dragon decided to take steps. Surging into action, it unleashed its breath – tremendous gouts of flame poured over us – a blaze of agony which caused Verbennax Tor, a being of cold and frost to scream in pain. I misjudged my leaping aside, and felt the tongues of flame probing at Janga’s protective spell. The heat built up and grew again, swelling until I was bathed in a true inferno. I could feel the spell failing under the onslaught, and just as I could feel it breaking and the heat building up to savage temperatures, the flame washed over me, leaving the protective spell utterly exhausted, but I was completely unharmed.

Even as it was breathing the inferno over us, Brazzumel the Burning was still chanting, and as the flames subsided, the dragon launched an incredibly powerful spell at the savage form of Fez. To my immense relief, however, the spell failed against his savage fury.

Even as the barbarian was shaking off the spell, the blue dragon launched a crackling blast of lightning up at him, before tearing at his magics, reaming several of them away. In a heartbeat, Fez was reduced in stature, becoming man-sized and began to drift gently downwards into the Rift Canyon.

Taking a moment to cure himself of the terrible burn injuries he had suffered, Janga then flew across to Fez and passed him a potion flask, at which point Kaggro unlimbered his greataxe and leapt through the air at the blue dragon, whilst Flynne fired another salvo of arrows at the massive red – each of its 9 images to my eyes seemed to have well over half a dozen arrows sticking out of it.

I dashed across to a massive giant-sized ballista mounted to one side of the doors, and used it to fire a tremendous harpoon across at the fang dragon – despite hurtling straight at the beast’s heart, the harpoon simply shattered against its scales. As the broken harpoon fell into the canyon below, Verbennax Tor cast his powerful spell once again, and the fang dragon dramatically vanished from all existence.

Drinking the potion, Fez took flight once again and flew to take up a position on the other side of the blue dragon from the giant king. As he flew into position, the massive blue dragon snapped at him and opened up a series of deep gashes in his forearm.

Snarling out the words to the same viciously powerful spell, the red directed it this time towards the towering figure of Kaggro Thundersmiter, but he was also able to shake of whatever insidious effects the red dragon was trying to impose. The blue dragon savagely attacked the king. Lashing out with teeth, tail, wings and claws, the massive blows slammed down. The king ducked and weaved between several of the blows, but some of them inevitably struck home. Each of those which did caused a bright flash from a protective aura set on the massive giant by Janga. Despite the power behind the blows, the king appeared only slightly the worse for them.

As Flynne fired yet more arrows into the vast red dragon, Janga cast another dispelling enchantment into the fight, this time tearing into the spells which surrounded this largest dragon. The multiple images vanished, and the dragon appeared to take a lurch several feet to the left as several spells were stripped away – its scales (which I realised were encrusted with hundreds of gems) seemed somehow to have lost much of their lustre.

To the red dragon’s right, there came a draconic moan of pain and alarm as Kaggro Thundersmiter unleashed tremendous blows with his axe – three terrible wounds opened across the beast.

As I fired a special type of bolt into the red dragon (which shattered and splashed it with venoms which had no appreciable effect), Tor followed my ineffectual attack with a spell of his own – he flung an orb of pure cold at the massive red dragon, but it simply failed; perhaps melting in the heat emanating from the huge creature.

Still flanking the blue dragon, Fez slashed down with his scythe, which bit deeply four more times; as the scythe took its heavy toll, the blue dragon’s wings folded, and it began to spiral away into the canyon.

As we all turned to face Brazzumel the Burning, it snarled out a spell, once again targeting Fez who was able to shake off the spell somehow, to be immediately avenged by Flynne, as yet more arrows slammed into the dragon’s chest.

Flying like an arrow himself, the giant king then hurtled nimbly towards the red dragon, slashing precisely at its flank with his glowing axe before speeding on to take up a position on the other side of the beast, whilst yet another blast of cold slammed into it – this time Tor’s spell took full effect, and the sudden rime of frost covered the fire dragon, which screamed in pain and alarm. As it raised its head, the key could clearly be seen dangling from a length of chain around its neck.

Screaming himself, Fez hurtled to the right side of the dragon, and whilst it bit him deeply, his scythe carved all the deeper through the gem-encrusted scales.

The dragon let out a long high-pitched wail of pain, and a ring on its claw glowed suddenly – wounds and deep gashes on its flanks began to seal up, before the beast flapped its wings with a snap, hurtling upwards, then breathed a massive cone of flame down onto the two fighters who were hovering in the air beneath it.

Kaggro Thundersmiter simply laughed up at the dragon, as his fire giant heritage meant that mere heat was nothing to him, whilst the flames washed over the magical protections warding Fez. Both of them emerged from the flames with nothing more than a murderous glint in their eyes.

Whilst Janga cured himself of injuries he had taken, Flynne continued shooting arrow after arrow at the red dragon, some of which glanced off, but many of which continued to slam home, leaving deep wounds. Hotly pursued by Fez, the giant king flew upwards, and his reach was the greater of the two warriors. His tremendous axe carved through the air, and smashed deeply into the dragon’s skull – the beast’s wings collapsed, and I could see that it was about to start to fall. Brazzumel the Burning was defeated.

Acting quickly, I flew over to the vast dragon’s body, and perched upon its shoulders, where I cast a spell which would dramatically reduce the beast’s fall; then Tor cast a spell creating a powerful blast of wind which would blow the dragon back towards the gates so that we might recover the key. Immune to the blast of wind, I stood yelling in pleasure, as I surfed the red dragon’s wide back; we descended gracefully before landing roughly on the steps to the citadel. I rolled off the beast and came up on my feet, key in hand.

Behind me, Tor yelled that the fang dragon would eventually return, and the warriors were swift in surrounding the space it had once occupied. Moments after they had arrived, the huge rocky-skinned dragon returned to reality, blinking at the chaos and the corpse of its master Brazzumel lying dead upon the floor.

Janga cast an awesomely powerful dispelling magic, which tore off an alarming number of enchantments, at which point Fez very nearly tore off the dragon’s head with his scythe, and after a salvo of arrows from Flynne and Kaggro Thundersmiter’s terrifyingly powerful and accurate attacks, it was a miracle that the dragon was still able to launch a series of attacks at Fez. Only two of the many blows managed to connect with the well-prepared barbarian, but these were clearly backed with a terrifying enchantment of their own, as Fez sagged and paled with the claw rake and bite.

Hovering just behind him, however, Janga simply reached out and touched Fez on the shoulder, and instantly all the damage and weakness were repaired. Fez grinned – his pointed teeth shone in the twilight which was shining across the top of the Rift Canyon as he swung his scythe one final, fatal time – the fang dragon dropped from the sky.

It fell no more than 5 feet, before crashing onto a wall of force the frost giant sorcerer had summoned beneath it; angled so that the dragon slid down onto the solid causeway. We fell upon the dragons to seize enchanted items and trophies, as well as prising the many gems out of the scales of Brazzumel the Burning, before heading down through the citadel and to the vault.

As Kaggro Thundersmiter passed his key to Fez, I produced the other, and each of us approached the doors. As we did, I could see Fez’s eyes open wide, and a second later I realised why. Memories and knowledge from 1500 years before flooded into my mind, and with them a song. I raised my voice as best I knew how, chanting verses lost to the ages, and the glowing runes on the door faded gently until they, too, were nothing more than a memory. Unlocking the doors, we pushed them open.

.oOo.

Beyond lay a tall room, in the centre of which stood a towering statue of a rampant dragon. In the centre of the statue’s chest there was a large ruby red box. The box pulsed, and striations of red rock running up the sides of the room pulsed in turn, as though we were standing within the body of something truly colossal. A flickering light pulsed and faded, and then Fez stepped up and swung his flail down with all his might – the ruby box cracked, and the lights burned brightly and then faded again.

He hit it again; the crack grew and the lights faded still further, and then with a third blow the phylactery of the dracoliche Dragotha shattered and exploded into a thousand pieces.

Both Verbennax Tor and Kaggro Thundersmiter suddenly let out feral shrieks, as blood foamed from their mouths and noses. Their eyes rolled up into the backs of their heads, and each of them collapsed, dead, to the floor of the vault room.

“Waste not want not.”

I can’t remember who said it first, but we all turned to the dead giants with eyes on their many items of magic.

It had been a good day. We even remembered to pick up Endo before we teleported back to Mage Point and began our latest shopping expedition.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Ah - that was a fun session!

The only big downer for me was the giants dieing when the phalyctery was smashed... I liked them and they'd made fun NPCs.

Still, we've got their hordes of items to remember them by - which is something at least. ;)

In case anyone is wondering, the first picture was a recreation of the first paragraph of the story. :lol:

Thanks for another fine write up Mr Eccles!

Wonder what new madness tonights session has in store for us. Off to visit Dragotha - which is sure to be a fun trip. :eek:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Inconsequenti-AL said:
In case anyone is wondering, the first picture was a recreation of the first paragraph of the story. :lol:

So what was going on there? Was Endo's player off with a dose of noro-virus or something?

Dpulse303

Meat head
Dr Simon said:
So what was going on there? Was Endo's player off with a dose of noro-virus or something?

Exactly.

not meening to belittle but i thought the malteser representing a poo bubble was in poor taste. :\

Dpulse303

Meat head
Dpulse303 said:
not meening to belittle but i thought the malteser representing a poo bubble was in poor taste. :\

not a taste thing really it just put me off maltesers for a while .... :p

well done on the exam Russ.

Remove ads