"Saving" feats

PaulKemp

First Post
I recall reading a sentence (I presume in the PHB) that prohibited saving a feat (meaning, a PC eligible for a feat at 3rd level cannot hold the slot open until 4th in order to meet a feat prerequisite and then take the feat). I cannot find this sentence anywhere after looking this evening at our D&D session. Can anyone point me to it (or, if I'm wrong and you can save feats, point me to that).

Thanks in advance.

frankthedm

First Post
PaulKemp said:
I recall reading a sentence (I presume in the PHB) that prohibited saving a feat (meaning, a PC eligible for a feat at 3rd level cannot hold the slot open until 4th in order to meet a feat prerequisite and then take the feat). I cannot find this sentence anywhere after looking this evening at our D&D session. Can anyone point me to it (or, if I'm wrong and you can save feats, point me to that).
Don't know the page number, but you are correct on not being able to save feats to take at a later time.

Some DMs like myself may allow characters to keep feat slots open until the player can decide what they want, but most that i know of who allow this still say a 3rd level feat slot can only be filled with a feat with the prerequisites you had at 3rd level, even if you wait till much later to fill it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
PaulKemp said:

PHB p58:
When your character attains a new level, make these changes.

7. Feats: Upon attaining 3rd level and at every third level thereafter, the character gains one feat of your choice.

Upon attaining the level, he gains the feat. When he attains the level, make the change.

-Hyp.

Jhulae

First Post
The latest Sage column in Dragon also states you can't save anything (feats, ability points, or skill points). Everything must be used when gained at the level increase.

Xanterith

First Post
In the campaigns I have played in I allow people to select feats for which they don't meet the pre-reqs. They can't use the feat until they make the requirements. Any feats that require other feats also require all of their pre-reqs.

So for example, you could take combat expertise as a fighter at 3rd level with a 12 intelligence, then at 4th level raise your int to a 13 to be able to use it.

The SRD specifically prohibits this.

Last edited:

I believe it's reasonable to let a player delay the feat choice if he doesn't know what to choose upon achieving the new level. I'd rule that you don't need to choose the feat when you level up, but you must make your choice before leveling up again.

I'd not allow players to choose feats if they don't meet the pre-requisites, though. For my games, I assume that the pre-requisites of a feat are something like the basic techniques that you need to understand in order to train properly in more advanced ones.

Cheers,

Xanterith

First Post
Or you could look at it as you are training to use the feat you are gaining the pre-req's. By training to use the feat you can't actually do it, but are practicing the concepts that it will take to perform the feat once you are ready.

I think it conceptually makes less sense if you take say "forge ring" at high level and can suddenly make rings having not had any practice at it up to that point as opposed to taking it a low level knowing that once you got powerful enough you would be making rings. That whole time you could be practicing and working on it, and that would be represented by you having the feat but not being able to use it.

For some feats it works, others it doesn't. Too each his own.

Last edited:

FEADIN

Explorer
In my campaign the PC can keep one "feat slot" open, only one feat not taken when it's time because sometimes you don't really see where your character will be going.
I told them that it's a penalty for those who don't take it, feats are precious and one less can make a big difference.

Remove ads