Those rules we tend to ignore and how they impact play.

Reynard

Legend
Weapon type versus armor class. It is one of those rules from AD&D that often got ignored to speed up play. On the surface, it doesn't seem to have any negative impact on the game. However, if you look deeper at the rule and how it interacts with play, you see that it does have an impact. If you take out this rule (and the same can be said for weapon speed, spaces and reaches, and so on) weapon choice becomes simply about how much damage the weapon does, and armor choice becomes simply about getting the best AC. Keep this rule in, however, and suddenly weapon choice is about the most effective weapon against a paticular sort of enemy, about what weapons work best in various situations. It adds a hint of simulation and "realism" to the game that is otherwise lost in favor of higher damage output, or, more rarely, what "looks cool" for the character.

There are lots of rules like this. Encumberance. Spell components. Getting lost. Exposure. Fatigue. Needing to eat and (more importantly) drink. For some groups, Attacks of Opportunity or (in older editions) rules regarding fighting withdrawal and fleeing.

What rules do you ignore, and how does it impact your game? What rules that others tend to ignore do you pay attention to, and how does that impact your game?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Definitely encumbrance and any cheap spell components. Ammunition. Food. We're not big into the micromanaging (although I realise some poeple enjoy that aspect).

We don't even bother with basic adventuring gear - we have a 25gp "adventurer's backpack" which means that you always have a rope, lantern, torch, or any other mundane item of equipment.

Reynard

Legend
Morrus said:
Definitely encumbrance and any cheap spell components. Ammunition. Food. We're not big into the micromanaging (although I realise some poeple enjoy that aspect).

We don't even bother with basic adventuring gear - we have a 25gp "adventurer's backpack" which means that you always have a rope, lantern, torch, or any other mundane item of equipment.

Other than simply removing the micro-managment aspect of the game, how do you think it impact your game, good or bad. For example, if players don't have to worry about basic travelling/exploration gear, does it make them more or less likely to engage in long overland travel? If they are not counting arrows, are they more or less likely to use archers as a tactical option?

That sort of thing.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
My group tries to keep track of mundane things like food, water, and ammunition, but then we forget. Then we remember and keep track again for a while...then we forget again. :eek:

cougent

First Post
What happened with my group was that we ended up having "ignore creep" though. Similar to what has already been mentioned we ignored specifics for food, water, ropes, lanterns, etc. until all of a sudden when a situation called for 400' of rope and a player says "I will get mine out of my backpack". At which point I (as DM) kind of squinted and said "When did you start carrying 400' of rope around with you?" PC: "I always have". DM "No, you had a 50' rope, not 400'." PC: "Well, I actually never said how long it was, I just said I had a rope, so lets say its 400'."

PC's started wanting to go through aortic conditions in "Traveler's Cloaks"; Food and water were never a problem even when trapped in a subterranean cavern for 3 months; Lanterns never run out of oil, torches are always available; it just seemed to never end. They were walking Wal-Mart's and never needed to buy anything in town except new spiffy magic items and the occasional ale at the tavern. It became too much. It went from a lack of micro-management to a lack of even macro-management.

Glyfair

Explorer
Reynard said:
Weapon type versus armor class. It is one of those rules from AD&D that often got ignored to speed up play.

I sort of liked the rule in concept. However, if you look even closer you see that it's a big headache. It works OK against PC types (and even they group different types of armor with the same AC together) but falls apart with monsters. You are supposed to figure out what each monster's armor is like. Dragons? Maybe it's scale mail, so find the scale mail AC and use that modifier, Maybe it's plate, so use that AC.

I never even tried to use it because they really was more of a headache than it was worth, regardless of the strategic depth it adds to weapon choice in the game.

Ambrus

Explorer
In 3.0 and 3.5, equipment melding/not melding in regards to polymorph vs alternate form vs wild shaping... With all the errata and rules changes that have happened, it seems nearly impossible to make sense of this simple issue any longer; sometimes stuff melds and becomes non-functional, sometimes it doesn't. It all seems rather arbitrary and confounding.

In essence, there's no fun in having to dress/undress your character every time you want to change your shape, just as it's no fun to be an animal decked-out in a full assortment of magic items to continue benefiting from their powers. Ugh. :mad:

Stalker0

Legend
Many powerful multiclass combos are actually prevented by multiclassing penalties, but since so many groups ignore these it rarely comes up.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I never used weapon-vs.-armour rules; I was glancing over them just the other day, in fact, and was reminded why: what a nuisance! The negative effect of being able to choose weapon and armour without worrying about this is more than outweighed by the headache reduction, at least in my eyes both as DM and player.

I make sure people track consumable things e.g. ammunition, food, oil; as long as they sort-of do it most of the time I know they'll be able to do it when it matters if they get lost at sea or whatever.

I never used ExP-for-g.p. rules; the effect was to slow the level advancement down, just fine by me.

I've really never bothered with weapon speed and I don't think it's affected things much at all, but that's a guess on my part as I've never seen a game where they were in use to compare with.

Lanefan

Remove ads