Dr Midnight's Keep on the Shadowfell - Unbelievably updated on 7/30

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
Thanks- did you find the hooks lacking too?

Funny thing, the paladin's assault on Berak began a huge stray away from the intended plot. After that, everything managed to pull towards furthering the adventure, but it took a big detour around lots of planned events. Anyone who knows me knows that I love PC actions that cause dramatic problems within peaceful boundaries (like within a group or within a town). Looks like Lathan's uncompromising views on honor are going to foot the bill nicely.

Funny thing #2, putting out the fire was a skill challenge. I had several skills listed in my notes and their difficulties. Osivan at one point says "Well, no point using Ray of Frost..." He'd assumed it wouldn't be effective enough to even try. I had it listed as the easiest way to gain successes in the challenge.

There was a little more to Session 1, including the next combat, but I thought it best to pick up at the beginning of the next Session's write-up.

The hooks are fine. I spread them out around the party and I think it might lead to some good character stuff later. For example, two characters have the "Make A Map" hook - but neither of them are any good at mapmaking, nor have any interest in it. I reckon they'll end up trying to get other members of the party to do it for them...

I've also side-tracked my group into doing the Into The Shadowhaunt Adventure from the worldwide D&D day, as an introduction. We should get that run through next Monday, and once we do I'll start posting a story hour of my own.

papa_laz

First Post
Ah, Dr Midnights story hour. I think I remember your work from my time lurking on the story hour forums when I was in my last year of high school, a scarily long time ago (6 years). I printed this out and read it in bed last night and I'm quite enjoying it. I love the feeling of knowing I will see these characters grow into mighty badasses. Where can I read your other stories?

Papa Laz

(contact)

Explorer
Hey, great stuff, Dr. Midnight! Glad to see you throwing the module off its rails a bit.

Dr Midnight said:
did you find the hooks lacking too?

As in useless? Pretty much. I've stripped all the setting out of the module and am running it as part of a larger campaign for my group. I dig the locations, and the set-ups for the fights, but the rest of it, not so much.

I like what you're doing with the additional NPCs. I think the module as written needs some of that kind of attention. Sounds like you have a great group there, I'm looking forward to the rest of the SH.

Also, nice illustration! Is that pen-and-ink, or are you still working with vector art?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Hey there (contact), what ups? I don't see you around much in the circles I run in. Good to see you.

Berak is, at present, the only thing I really added / changed. The scene in the market square cut off a scene that was supposed to take place by the module, and that I improvised around (which is fine, of course). I really do plan to run this one very closely to the written text, only adding character motivation and a few small details here and there. I like the taste of this adventure... 1st level adventures often are just my flavor.

The group's cool so far! I'm excited, this has real potential. I'm still not planning on having this be a large campaign, for now it's just the module, but if things keep going like this I'll push to expand.

The illustration was brush and ink, largely, with the pen filling in the finer details. It didn't really turn out the way I intended but meh. I've got another one coming up.

Oh, and hey, did anyone know Lathan is spelled Lathon? Because I certainly didn't. Whoops... gotta go in and correct all that.

Remove ads