Words of Power?

Scribble

First Post
So I was reading through my DMG again and I came across this part that I forgot about:

DMG said:
The Supernal and Abyssal languages are both actual languages used to communicate, but they also include words of power—words whose syllables contain the raw magic of creation (in the case of Supernal) or primordial evil (Abyssal). Player characters can’t know these languages initially. They might eventually learn the basics of communicating in these tongues, but without mastering these mighty sounds. Mortals who learn Supernal don’t gain the ability to have their words universally understood. Texts containing these words in either language could unleash powerful effects—and these tomes or scrolls might be artifacts in their own right.

Was this used in any fashion in the books? I can't think of any, but I'm not a master of all the player side powers. If not, I think it would be cool to expand on it with feats and replacement powers...

Kind of like the Channel Divinity feats maybe? But with power words?

Maybe even link it to some sort of disease? Like a book containing primordial words that when read begin to attempt to "discorporate" the reader.

Ktulu

First Post
They had some of this in 3.x, so I expect it will eventually show up in 4e, probably in a future DMG or PHB.

Scribble

First Post
I think I might write up some words of power power swap feats, but they wouldn't be available to just anyone.

There would be a book that when read attacks the PC with a "mental" disease, that attempts to discorporate as above... If the PC survives, they have a newfound understanding of eother Supernal or Abyssal which "unlocks" the power swap feats.

In one of the early previews at the end of 2007 or the start of 2008, weren't Power Words not also an important Wizard class feature? (Maybe something like their dailies?)

Remove ads