Does anybody else think Sci-Fi channel just goes through the D&D Monster Manual

NewJeffCT

First Post
and writes a story to match whatever monster there strikes their fancy for their Sci-Fi originals?

I mean, last night, we had "Wyvern" - before, they've had movies about dragons, minotaurs, mummies, harpies, griffons, manticores, basilisks, ghouls, and a bunch of prehistoric monsters (Raptors, pterodactyls, mammoths) and other things I'm sure I'm missing.

What's next? Mind Flayers? Beholders? Medusa? Drow? Kobolds!

fba827

Adventurer
and writes a story to match whatever monster there strikes their fancy for their Sci-Fi originals?

I mean, last night, we had "Wyvern" - before, they've had movies about dragons, minotaurs, mummies, harpies, griffons, manticores, basilisks, ghouls, and a bunch of prehistoric monsters (Raptors, pterodactyls, mammoths) and other things I'm sure I'm missing.

What's next? Mind Flayers? Beholders? Medusa? Drow? Kobolds!

When we see "Meepo" or "Minion Badger" in the list, then we'll know you're on to something. ;)

But in seriousness, I wouldn't say that they are necessarily looking at the MM. But rather both the MM and sci-fi channel writers are looking to the same sources (mythology and folklore) to get their creatures.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the "Made for Sci-Fi" writers were gamers at some point.

When you write, write what you know...right?

frankthedm

First Post
I hardly think it is a secret Sci fi is making it's content mind numbingly bad in hopes of brain damaging their core audience. It is like in an attempt to make us more susceptible to Badvertising and to render us too Stoopid! to change the channel, they are creating the TV movie version of the Vacuous Grimoire.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Does anybody else think Sci-Fi channel just goes through the D&D Monster Manual?

Sure seems so. Hardly seems worse than the D&D movie, though. For those who like to grab clips to play on thier monitors and TVs during games, some of the movies can be useful. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I read a great article once about the business plan behind these made for sci-fi movies. They actually make them quite a bit of money. It's all filmed in Bulgaria, and usually more than one movie is filmed back to back. "Feedback" had a lot of interesting stories about his appearance in once of those movies, and I am sure "The Defuser" will as well.

Remove ads