Any good 4e adventures that arent dungeon crawls?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I love a good dungeon crawl but I was wondering if there are any adventures using the 4e rules that people could recommend that spread encounters out a bit, mix in more investigation or puzzle elements and less combats strung back to back... like the traditional dungeon/keep crawl?

Trollhaunt and Shadowfell had some elements of this but ended up turning into very large dungeons. The other H series seem to be big dungeons. I havent read the others yet.

Any from Dungeon or 3rd parties?

thanks!

ferratus

Adventurer
Well, there doesn't seem to be anything that would be a sandbox style adventure yet. There also doesn't seem to be anything that's a murder mystery like Assassin's Knot, or an overarching storyline like the Dragonlance Modules or Age of Worms. The Scales of War could be such a story, but it seems to be loosely stitched together dungeons rather than an actual overarching war that we were expecting.

So yeah, I've been noticing a lack a variety too.

Rechan

Adventurer
IMHO there's not a lot of published adventures beyond dungeon crawls, for any edition. You'll have a few, but usually it's "go into this structure and kill what's inside".

Mercurius

Legend
Dungeon Crawl Classics - Scions of Punjar. It takes place in Goodman Games's city of Punjar--but could easily be pasted onto another city--and involves the PCs investigating how a family heirloom that was buried in a mausoleum ended up in a pawnshop. Pretty straightforward but the combat encounters are punctuated with roleplay and travel/searching. We're just getting started so I can't say how good it is, only what it is.

mac1504

Explorer
Wrath of the River King by Wolfgang Baur has plenty of role-playing elements and skill challenges o'plenty to offset the combat encounters. I definitely wouldn't consider that adventure to be a traditional "dungeon crawl" adventure.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I love a good dungeon crawl but I was wondering if there are any adventures using the 4e rules that people could recommend that spread encounters out a bit, mix in more investigation or puzzle elements and less combats strung back to back... like the traditional dungeon/keep crawl?

Trollhaunt and Shadowfell had some elements of this but ended up turning into very large dungeons. The other H series seem to be big dungeons. I havent read the others yet.

Any from Dungeon or 3rd parties?

thanks!

I've neither read nor played it, but isnt't Goodman Games "M1: Dragora's Dungeon" something like this?

OchreJelly

First Post
With most of the WotC published adventuers they usually have sites mentioned in the module that exist in the lands surrounding the main dungeon. Either they have published "expansions" for these sites in DDI, or they leave it to you to develop. What i have done is develop off of those extra sites and reduce the size of the main dungeon so it isn't a so "crawly". Trollhaunt is a good example, because they provide a nice map of the swamp with all these extra sites listed. The blurbs describing these areas are short but evocative enough to get you started.

Ktulu

First Post
The last breaths of Ashenport, by Ari. Lots of mystery and feels very, very lovecraftian.

While there is some "dungeon", it's not the main focus and there's lots of stuff going on.

You can get this one through the DDI. Easily my favorite adventure of 4e.

Filcher

First Post
Both of Goodman Game's DCCs Thrones of Punjar and Scions of Punjar fit this along with Isle of the Sea Drake. Curse of the Kingspire ends in a dungeon crawl, but there is plenty to do before that.

Remove ads