How much do characters know about game mechanics?

Barastrondo

First Post
Can the character control when that opportunity arises?

From my reading of 4e, not as such, at least as far as the martial classes go. The player chooses when the opportunity arises. I would read it as something like this "on round 2, Faustina attempts to hamstring her opponent as part of her exchange of blows, and the player uses Hamstring" (I am making up powers here). Then, "on round 4, Faustina tries another shot at hamstringing her opponent as part of her exchange of blows, but the opportunity isn't there, and the player uses one of her at-wills to represent the blow that does have an opportunity." It's an approach that jives with the old, old idea that a combat round would involve a number of feints, parries, inaccurate strikes, but that you don't roll separately for each. The attack roll represents the culmination of the round.

Of course, a lot of mechanics in 4e are designed to represent genre conventions, rather than simulate a reality. Minions are a good example, but let's also take the idea of swarm mechanics. Consider the difference between statting out a swarm as a single entity and statting out each individual creature within it. From any realistic standpoint, a swarm of bees or a platoon of soldiers wouldn't be observed by the characters as singular entities, but collections of individuals. But mechanically, they work as one enemy because it's elegant gaming. The mechanics represent rather than simulate — or rather, they might simulate reality, but more often they simulate the dramatic conventions of romantic fantasy. (And I really want to try the "stat out an enemy platoon as a very large swarm" trick sometime; that would be a fantastic way for epic characters to stand against armies that challenge them as a whole even as individual soldiers wouldn't.)

It gets even more interesting when you look at how skill challenges can be constructed to simulate things that would often require more complicated subsystems. A skill challenge like "outrun the orc army, slaying their advance scouts as you go" is entirely feasible. However, the slaying of scouts can be handled with a simple skill check rather than full-fledged combat in this particular instance.

And of course, there's the whole "reskinning" practice, in which you can take the statistics of one monster and modify them to represent a different one; using an oni stat block for a rakshasa, for instance. Since monsters are statted out according to their role rather than an attempt at consistent biology, reskinning works very well.

Your first premise, that the world operates in a consistent manner, is not quite the same thing as saying that the world will always operate under the same rules. It seems to me perfectly feasible that the characters will see one layer of consistency, in which an angry mob is a number of individual people all swept along, while the players see the rules interface of "swarm" or "skill challenge," and react accordingly. I think in order for characters to be able to carefully deduce most of the rules of the world, they would need a system that doesn't try for elegance (a design goal that always requires some sort of compromise on "accuracy"), and that stays far away from simulating dramatic conventions. 4e is really not that game.

Edit: Okay, thought of another example. Spirit of the Century has a power called "Master of Disguise." When the player activates this power, the character leaves the scene. At any point in a later scene, the player can call in a fate point to nominate any unnamed character standing around — a random mook, a reporter in the crowd, the royal executioner — and said character whips off the disguise, and the player character is standing there. From the point of view of the rules, the player character is removing an NPC and replacing them. From the point of view of the characters, though, "Good Lord, it was Agent Ace all along!" Spirit of the Century is that kind of game. It uses the rules to simulate dramatic conventions and the feel of a pulp novel. 4e is kind of in that vein.

(I love that power so much.)

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
Characters in rpgs don't realise their lives are governed by a 300 page rulebook for the same reason characters in fiction don't realise that they are governed by rules of story and genre. They are genre blind.

Bumbles

First Post
Characters in rpgs don't realise their lives are governed by a 300 page rulebook for the same reason characters in fiction don't realise that they are governed by rules of story and genre. They are genre blind.

Unless they're She-Hulk or Deadpool.

As for the OP's original question, I suggest an extensive reading of Knights of the Dinner Table and the Order of the Stick. This subject has been covered in both of them.

Tip: do not ask new players who are RPing their characters to hit you with a stick to find out what level they are.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It seems to me perfectly feasible that the characters will see one layer of consistency, in which an angry mob is a number of individual people all swept along, while the players see the rules interface of "swarm" or "skill challenge," and react accordingly. I think in order for characters to be able to carefully deduce most of the rules of the world, they would need a system that doesn't try for elegance (a design goal that always requires some sort of compromise on "accuracy"), and that stays far away from simulating dramatic conventions. 4e is really not that game.
The elegance versus accuracy trade off is probably better named abstraction versus roleplay. The degree to which the characters interact with the world in the same way their players do, are acted out in that world by the players, is the same degree of roleplaying happening in the game. The more or less one must act out their role in the game, the more or less one is roleplaying in that game. The choice is: what elements do we want to roleplay, and which do we want to abstract (or must abstract as in magic). 4e, as you point out, is really more of an abstraction game than D&D was previously.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Morrus has seemed it up basically everything I would have said. To put it simply for me I always have viewed it as:
  • Mechanics = Out-of-Game/Setting
  • Narration = In-Game/Setting
The mechanics are just abstractions to help the Players and DM control the game, emphasis on "game". The rules are what is the game part, the narration is what happens to make it a narrative, a story, a roleplaying experience.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
But in that case - does every character believe that everyone moves at the same basic speed? That the world is constructed of 5' squares? I mean, that is how his world works.

I don't see how this is a problem?

Firstly, I would like to point out the average human walking speed is about 4 mph. In the game world not everyone moves at the same base speed (different races you know), and the abstract nature of the square, especially when moving diagonally, easily allows for variations with peoples gait.

Secondly, we divide up the world into latitude and longitude for mapping purposes. We do not often see the grid, but we know it is there. Even without the grid, people use relative distances. We measure distances the world we live in with feet, meters, city blocks, football fields, and other such things. People with weapons training know about how far they can shoot, I don't see it as much of a stretch to believe that characters understand distance.

That's exactly what I said. The rules are an abstract simplification for the players; they only exist in the players' mind. The character does not perceive these things. He's not aware of rounds, initiative order, milestones, or anything else.

Or, to put it another way - the rules aren't gameworld physics that the character can understand. He's not aware of classes, levels, feats, etc. he just knows that he can do some thing well, and other things not so well.

I am not sure if I am being clear enough. The character understands the physics of the world, but the player has to use the rules to interpret them. Or perhaps: The rules are there so that the player can understand what the character knows. I suppose what I am saying is that the characters know more about the game world than the players do.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't see how this is a problem?

Firstly, I would like to point out the average human walking speed is about 4 mph. In the game world not everyone moves at the same base speed (different races you know), and the abstract nature of the square, especially when moving diagonally, easily allows for variations with peoples gait.

Actually, given the diagonal rules for D&D, having the world be chunked up into squares has some funny effects on geometry: a circle 10 feet across has an area of 100 square feet! (In our world it is about 78 square feet). Bascially, the characters would live in a spacetime that is rather strongly curved, where we live in one that is largely flat.

This starts to get ugly when the DM normally sets his grids up along the cardinal North-South, East-West axes, and then every once in a while does not. If characters notice the change in movement along the diagonals... theological issues could erupt over such areas that are so clearly warped.

I think the whole issue isn't a right/wrong, agree/disagree thing. It is a style choice - you can use the rules as the physics of the game world, or you can use the rules as an abstraction for the players. It is a choice, not a truism one way or the other.

I personally prefer the abstraction.

Hairfoot

First Post
There would certainly be a whole lot of jargon and lingo within each class, such that a warlock and a paladin wouldn't be able to compare notes.
I think that's true, to an extent. Traditionally, D&D wizards are fantasy scientists, with a deep, structured understanding of thaumaturgy. That's gone with 4E, of course, in which all magic is equal.

However, the abilities of other classes are assumed to be spontaneous or internalised through practice, so I think that a cleric, a paladin and a fighter would have a lot to talk about, though not in theoretical terms.

Regarding the abstraction of rules, more rules means more PCs engaging in de facto metagaming as their players seek the most advantage.

Slife

First Post
Game mechanics are how the world acts when the player characters are around.

That said, a certain cleric of Boccob did some experimentation with how many applications of cure minor wounds were necessary to recover people from the brink of unconsciousness. He published his results to little fanfare.

Now there's a mercenary company advertising they can take 20% more wounds than their competition without losing fighting strength.

Across the street, there's a mercenary company advertising that their mercenaries require a sixth less healing to get back to full combat potential.

Remove ads