Questions on paper model products

Thraug

First Post
Hi,

I'm looking to start building 3d paper models (buildings, dungeons, outdoors etc.) and was wondering what products are recommended. My preferences are:

• System that can create curved walls, rooms (circular), corridors, etc.
  • System with cross-compatible sets
  • Must be color
  • Free or purchased products are fine
  • Have to look good

I've looked over the WorldWorksGames products and think they're great, but had some concerns. Many of their sets don't seem compatible with one another, as they use different layout and connector ideas. They may have done this on purpose.

Anywho, is there a product line that's universally agreed on as being AWESOME?? :lol:

Thanks!

FunkBGR

Explorer
The only problem I can foresee with World Works Games would be if you bought one of their older 1.5" sets and needed 1" sets.

Otherwise, they are incredible. I own many of their sets, and mix and match things quite freely. They also are incredibly supportive on their forums of "kitbashing", which is taking something of theirs and mixing it around.

The other company I highly recommend is Fat Dragon Games. They make some really good stuff too. I recommend starting with the E-Z Dungeons basic pack, and going from there.

I've tried a couple other companies' stuff, but I don't like it as much as these two. Since they both tend to use a 1" scale, it's fairly easy to pull a table from this set, and a chair from that set, and make it all look good.

If you've not done paper modeling before, realize that it can take a bit of time the first time around, but once you get good at it, it's a breeze, and the creations are awesome!

Thraug

First Post
Thanks FunkBGR.

Looks like I'll be getting kits from both WWG and FDG. Any suggestions on which Masterboard format, or tile/wall connector system to use to get everything to connect nicely from all the different sets?

WWG has a few different connection methods, such as "Clip It", "Free-form" (Chunky Dungeons), "PaperLinX" (CastleWorks Ultimate and DungeonLinx), "Place-as-you-Play" (UnderCrypt). Fat Dragon Games uses a different tile and item connection system.

Ow, my head!

FunkBGR

Explorer
Honestly - I don't know. I use magnets :p

I bought a strip of magnetic tape for super cheap, and use that to hold items together. I took two pieces of 40" by 30" foamboard, attached them to make 40" by 60", and placed a magnet every inch square.

I then use magnets attached to my pieces to hold them to the board . . . it's kind of crazy. I don't recommend it, in retrospect, but I'm glad I did it for me.

Back in the day, I used paperclips, and didn't bother with the linx stuff or anything.

Thraug

First Post
I bought a strip of magnetic tape for super cheap, and use that to hold items together. I took two pieces of 40" by 30" foamboard, attached them to make 40" by 60", and placed a magnet every inch square.

I then use magnets attached to my pieces to hold them to the board . . . it's kind of crazy. I don't recommend it, in retrospect, but I'm glad I did it for me.

Interesting, I was considering trying something like that, inspired by a combination of Alea Tools magnatized status markers and Dark-platypus studio's Magna-Map magnatized map.

Can you post some pics of your setup? I'd REALLY like to see it. :)

FunkBGR

Explorer
I'm not at home, so I can't take pics of anything, but I do have some on my Picasa here

This is a setup I ran last fall(ish) to recreate Encounter at Blackwall Keep's opening scene (Age of Worms, from Paizo)

That magna-map looks like a helluva better way to do this than what I did :)

Thraug

First Post
Thanks for the pics, looking forward to more on the magnetized conversion, if possible.

I'm not completely understanding the types of magnets you used for the parts. When you said "I bought a strip of magnetic tape for super cheap, and use that to hold items together", what "items" are you referring to? You mentioned tape and magnets. Where is the tape used and how? Are you using small metal magnets on the bottom of the objects, or tape? Are you doing anything to keep the masterboard pieces from sliding around? Are the tiles bound in any way?

Thank again! Lots to consider when building these things! =)

FunkBGR

Explorer
It's literally a roll of magnet, with adhesive on the bottom.

By 'items' I meant each terrain element. So each tree, and the tower, and the 'floor' is magnetized, has metal in it, or another magnet.

So yeah, small magnets are everywhere in the picture. The only thing not magnetized in some form or fashion is the bushes and the miniatures.

Remove ads