Creating a "channel divinity feat"

Guyntax

First Post
The cleric in my game requested me to worship a god of alcohool, so I created the gor Ethano for him, and i'm trying to create a "channel divinity feat" for him, and i'm wondering hot to make it balance.

Channel Divinity: Ethano's Ethanol (Basicly, the target becomes drunk)
Encounter*Divine
Minor or Standard action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom Vs. Will or Fortitude
Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to attack and damge rolls until the end of the encounter or save ends

Should it be a minor or a standard action?
Should it be against Will or Fortitude?
Should the penalty be -2
Should it last until the end of the encounter or should a save end it?

DracoSuave

First Post
None of the above.

Channel Divinity: The Delerium of Ethano
Encounter * Divine
Free Action Close burst 20
Trigger: You successfully hit with an attack
Target: One creature that you hit with that attack
Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of the next turn.

-----------------------------

Encounter abilities don't get persistant effects, usually. But this way the user can be more strategic about its use, he never blows his Channel Divinity on an attack that misses, and it's non-concerned with Weapon or Implement.

Channel Divinity shouldn't give you attack rolls, because not all Divine characters use Wisdom (or Strength or Charisma) to make attacks. Also, there's no accessory keyword so you're never gonna hit with that past heroic tier.

Guyntax

First Post
Thanks a lot, but i have a question?

Why would it be a burst if the target is a target he hit, should'nt it be ranged 20 or something

DracoSuave

First Post
Thanks a lot, but i have a question?

Why would it be a burst if the target is a target he hit, should'nt it be ranged 20 or something

It's a close attack because it can be used in melee this way, and you don't want something that triggers of a potential melee hit to provoke attacks of opportunity.

DracoSuave

First Post
Let's see, to flesh it out a bit more...

I would probably assign this diety the domains of Freedom, Madness, and Poison.

I would expand his portfolio, so that he is the god of intoxication, of revels, of liquid courage, but also give him a dark aspect; he is also the god of punishment for taking such gifts too far. He brings the hangovers and the overdoses. He is the one who put that beast in your arms when you wake up the next morning. He is the one who stole your memory. His gifts are to be enjoyed, but not abused.

DRUNKEN FIST AVENGERS GO!

Guyntax

First Post
Oh, I never realized the differences of area vs close burst concerning opportunity attacks, thx man making it a close burst really is agood idea.

To expand his portfoilo further:

Clerics of Ethno are usually dwarves who want to spread the good word and encourage people to get drunk while being drumk themselves. These clerics are always well appreciated in taverns, and owning a tavern blessed by one is considered an honor.

Even though they are usually dwarves, any race can become a cleric of Ethano.

DracoSuave

First Post
Oh, I never realized the differences of area vs close burst concerning opportunity attacks, thx man making it a close burst really is agood idea.

To expand his portfoilo further:

Clerics of Ethno are usually dwarves who want to spread the good word and encourage people to get drunk while being drumk themselves. These clerics are always well appreciated in taverns, and owning a tavern blessed by one is considered an honor.

Even though they are usually dwarves, any race can become a cleric of Ethano.

One thing to be wary of.

A lot of players who pick 'Gods of drink' use it as an excuse to be utter asshats. Just so long as he doesn't do it as an excuse to grief the game, it's cool, but flesh out the god a bit so you can justify going 'Look, pal, don't be an asshat.' Not to mention, it's a bit more realistic.

Guyntax

First Post
One thing to be wary of.

A lot of players who pick 'Gods of drink' use it as an excuse to be utter asshats. Just so long as he doesn't do it as an excuse to grief the game, it's cool, but flesh out the god a bit so you can justify going 'Look, pal, don't be an asshat.' Not to mention, it's a bit more realistic.

Thnaks for the tip

Remove ads