Spelljammer Galactica

Been reading through The Plane Above--the parts I didn't write, mostly ;)--and I've decided on a campaign I have to run at some point in the future.

Back during the Dawn War, the gods made a pact with... Something. Something from beyond the cosmos, perhaps an abnormally sane/communicative creature of the Far Realm, perhaps something else entirely. They did when the war against the Primordials looked bleak indeed, and they were desperate. The deal was for assistance against the Primordials, which they received--but the price was that they would eventually have to sacrifice several million souls (cue Dr. Evil pinky here) to this creature. The gods made this deal through Tharizdun, the only one of their number mad enough to commune with this creature.

The gods reneged. One of their reasons for imprisoning Tharizdun was to avoid payment on this horrible debt, since the deal was technically with Tharizdun alone.

But now, ages later, the maruts have somehow unearthed word of this debt. And being the enforcers of binding law that they are, they have set about to collect. They have no access to the souls that have passed beyond the Raven Queen's gates. They cannot enter the divine dominions. They cannot just start killing mortals in the real world, because that sends most of them to one of the above fates.

But they can cull their sacrifices from the border islands surround divine dominions, and the survivors of the various shattered/abandoned dominions. It's from the cultures of these many "islands," the only independent cultures of humanoid souls in the Astral Sea, that the PCs come.

They are part of a ragtag fleet (here we go ;)) of spelljammers, planar drommonds, and the like, fleeing the burning wastes that were once the border islands. The gods cannot and will not interfere for directly; the fact that the maruts are actually acting in accordance with the gods' oaths prevents them from doing so. A few do appear to the fleet now and again, but all they can offer is guidance, as these several thousand lost souls sail the unexplored far reaches of the Astral Sea, beyond the domain of gods or the telling of myths, seeking sanctuary from the constant ravages of the marut armies, as well as the many other raiders and hazards the Astral Sea has to offer.

No idea if/when I'd ever have time to run it, but it's definitely going in the pile with all my other Campaigns To Run At Some Point. :)

(BTW, I think this is the appropriate forum, since this is about a campaign idea, and it can be tweaked for any edition with just a few minor changes. But if it's too 4E-specific, I certainly have no objection to a mod sliding it over.)

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I like the idea, and some of the flavor of 4E in regards to the Far Realms could actually help you in this case. It's been mentioned in various places that the Far Realms have started to bleed over into the Prime Material plane. In this case, it could be that the "thing from beyond" finally realized that the Gods weren't going to pay up on their end of the bargaining. Sure, it took the entity awhile to figure it out, but time is relative to creatures that don't play by Prime Material standards.

Perhaps it was even the entities cultists that tipped of the Maruts.

The question I'd ask is what is the goal of the party in this case? Simply survival? How would you end the threat (and could it end?)

Neat idea though.

Hmm... I think I might have gone with Eberron's Warforged as the Cyclons.

The Warforged were created by House Cannith.

They Rebelled.

They have a Plan.

Heh. Yeah, I've seen that idea floated before. And it could certainly work. But I specifically wanted the maruts for this idea, since they're already Astral, and due to the whole "enforcers of oaths" aspect.

Asmor

First Post
Hmm... I think I might have gone with Eberron's Warforged as the Cyclons.

The Warforged were created by House Cannith.

They Rebelled.

They have a Plan.

Funny enough, for some time I've had some ideas sitting on the back burner for human-form Warforged...

theskyfullofdust

First Post
The question I'd ask is what is the goal of the party in this case? Simply survival? How would you end the threat (and could it end?)

That's a good question. You could run it as a sandbox-styled game, exploring the astral sea while looking for a sanctuary to call home; with the Maruts popping up to cause trouble along the way.

And I guess, to go with the galatica idea, it could be a very political, role-play heavy kind of game, dealing with powerplays, corrupt captains, food shortages, things like that.

Nice idea.

Stormonu

Legend
Or the maruts created the warforged as part of their army. Hmmm....

Yeah, Maruts would probably work best as the high-end enemies, while the warforged could be used to fill the lower ranks of foes to face. You could have Scar-like warforged who are "living" ships or engines of war as mid-level opponents.

It would be difficult, I think, to maintain adventures that would mirror the political and sociological in-fighting that defined the newer Battlestar series; most adventures would likely be exploration adventures charting new Astral Islands (and often finding most hostile islands along the stories of the Odyssey or Jason and the Argonauts or friendly islands subject to destruction by arriving enemy forces) as well as delaying action/strike adventures against the Marut/Warforged forces (similar to the Spelljammer adventure Goblin's Return/Heart of the Enemy).

In fact, I think many elements of the Odyssey or Jason and the Argonauts would fit in perfectly for this sort of campaign. In the former, it is the fight to "return home" to safety, while the latter is the tale of quest for a mythical object (similar to the quest for a paradise called Earth of BSG).

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I think I just had a nerdgasism. :D

Pretty interesting idea. I guess the only real question is what is preventing of the escape to the mortal realms?

Remove ads