Has anyone played Imagine?

shadow

First Post
I'm a big fan of old school role-playing. I have a fair amount of AD&D 1e stuff as well as some of the Hackmaster books. The other day I was in a local game store and saw a game called Imagine. Flipping through it I was impressed. It looked like it had a lot of options in terms of races and classes. Also it was fairly rules heavy with little fluff. (Which is good for me since I prefer crunch over fluff) In short, it looked very old-school. However, before I shell out $60 for the two core rule books, I would like to know peoples opinions on it. Has anyone here played Imagine before? If so, what were your impressions of it? Do the rules capture the old-school style of gaming. How complicated are the rules to learn and to play? I would appreciate any feedback.

EarthsShadow

First Post
Here is a response that tried Imagine two times. One, its a great system and the versatility involved is quite higher than most rpg games, and they spelled out alignments very nicely and they made sense. Two, everything involved in the game makes sense, and if it wasn't for a couple of issues it would be my game of choice.

My issues:
Combat - this game has the absolute complicated game system for combat I have ever seen, and the most detailed and awesome system also. However, when trying to learn the combat system, we had a combat between 3 characters and a band of 5 npc orcs, and this combat lasted 3 hours plus when trying to incorporate just the basic rules of combat, let alone the advanced rules. When doing combat, you have to calculate and figure in exactly: how fast your moving, how fast your target is moving, the distance traveled, the reach of your arm, the reach of your weapon, your weapon speed (in seconds), when in the initiative round you started your attack, when it finishes, how much damage done, how much damage resisted by armor, where you hit, and if the weapon itself takes damage.

With practice, and if one can master this system, then there is no other rpg game that would even come close to measuring up to the potential of this game. However, I am not that patient and although it was fun, our group decided that a battle should not take this long, and therefore we put it on the shelf.

Second beef - the company has absolutely no support beyond the two core books and a single adventure you can download off the website. However, it has been over a year since I looked at the website, so that might have changed, but after two years on the market, they had just these two books and that online adventure. Not much there.

I say that if you are a patient person willing to try to work with a group of people that are equally patient and understandable that it is more complicated than d20, then its a winner. Also understand that you will have to create most creatures yourself as there isn't a monster manual book for this game.

It was fun though, and a blast to figure out where the attacks hit, and there is nothing in d20 that can replace that feeling.

Remove ads