WotBS Late to WotBS: How do I mine?

AeroDm

First Post
I'm just delving into WotBS and won't be able to run it straight up for various reasons. I'm looking for advice on where to begin mining and what are the best parts. Regardless I'm excited and if you don't have advice for the above, please just share your favorite parts!

That is a tall order, friend. Do you have any ideas of what you'd be mining it for? Personally I'm quite fond of 11/12ths of it, but maybe my single favorite stand-alone adventure is #7. It's easiest to slot elsewhere, because the goal could be replaced easily, but the journey has a lot of flavor and history.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My favourite encounters/concepts:

1) The Collossus sequence in Gate Pass in #9.
2) The "game" with Flight in #10/the tornado/hailstorm/firecloud obstacle course. IMO best combined together into one encounter. Don't let it drag on by making the mistake of letting Flight pick up the ribbon as a minor action like the players can (I did that by mistake, makes the encounter too long).
3) The chase sequence after Rhuarc in #7.
4) The whole of the first adventure. I just adore it. I'll go on record as saying that, all bias aside, I honestly believe it's one of the best adventures I've ever had the pleasure to run in 30 years. I am the publisher, though, so take that as you will. The way it imparts info to the players without boring them, the way they feel they are making important decisions (despite it honestly being fairly linear), its ability to immerse a new group in a new setting and plot quickly and have them feel invested in that plot while making a new city feel alive and familiar all in the first session is so well done. I take my hat off to Ryan.
5) The Tempest. It's just so evocative and awesome and cool.
6) The concept of the burning forest, although I'd agree with criticism that that's the most linear adventure.
7) The halfling rivals in #6, and why, oh why, did I skimp over them when I ran it? Why didn't I run a one-shot where the players played the halflings? I utterly failed with the halflings and regret it.
8) The idea of the Inquisitors, although in my own game I made them much more potently anti-magic than as-written. But that's just a preference.

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Character recurrence. A lot of characters show up multiple times over the campaign in what look like very natural ways. I don't know what your restrictions are in running it, but if you can use the same plot outline as the campaign I think you'll get a lot of milage out of the NPCs. I think the best way to figure out which NPCs recur is to look at the statblock index for characters with statblocks over multiple levels.

Remove ads