ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Thanks again for clearing those issues up.

1) See, now, that's why you're the director of a critically acclaimed adventure path and I am merely a DM: I can't decide if that answer is pure genius, or so obvious it shows me up for how dumb I can be. Either way, that's the solution I was looking for.

2) That's what I thought. But it's so cool I want to find the best way to get it in there so the players can see it. If they spy on Lya's party in their cottage, I think I'll have it happen then. If they don't maybe they'll get a chance to spy on Lya again in the Castle of the Sea Chiefs. Failing that, I think she'll bring Nicodemus in to forge an alliance to rescue Tinker from Pemberton.

3) It is indeed a cool name.

gideonpepys

Session 4 (127) - The Adulthood Challenge

As they gathered themselves together, healed wounds and recovered their wits and their breath, Glaucia demanded to know what was going on. “What I see is foreign powers bringing their conflict to Beran soil, careless of the suffering of our citizens. I do not arrest you and put you in chains because, so far, you have not proved to be the aggressors in all this, but I will not stand by and let my people be harmed.” Korrigan reassured her of the unit’s benign intentions, and reminded her of the international nature of the threat they were seeking to oppose. Glaucia accepted his explanation for the time being, but told the group to go on without her. She wanted to find the goatherd who had lost their flock and reimburse them for any losses. She promised to catch up with the group as soon as possible. (Korrigan wondered if this was entirely true, but something told him to trust the Executores.)

Melissa Amerie and Krithilrak were both writing furiously while the others mounted, and were the last to be ready to depart. Exhausted, Rumdoom fell asleep on Hildegaard’s lap inside the carriage, leaving her to guide the figurine along their path.

On the final leg of their journey, Brakken rode alongside Gupta and voiced his thoughts, vowing to do all he could to fight this conspiracy, should the opportunity arise – even at the risk of his own life. “But I am no warrior,” he said. “My nature will not permit it. It is hard to inflict pain that you can feel yourself.” Gupta wondered if Brakken was genuinely concerned about the Ob, or just nursing a grievance because of his exposure in the trial.

As the light faded, they arrived in the village of Nimba, whose tiny population was currently swelled to bursting by encamped petitioners. The fort where Bruse Shantus kept his Summer Court could be seen on a rise near a seaside cliff, a silhouette now. Heiliana, an orcish executores greeted Brakken. She told him that some Danorans were already at court. “A tiefling woman spread some gold about and jumped the queue only this morning. Things have shut down for the day now, so you’d need to pull some serious strings. Are you sure you don’t want me to find you a tent?”

Brakken seemed determined to test the repercussions of his trial and conviction. They pressed on to the fort and the unit waited outside while the minotaur was admitted. Close by they saw a hedge maze. “I bet you we end up running around in that before the end of the day,” said Conquo.

“What will you do if he can’t grant access?” Melissa Amerie asked. That set Gupta to thinking about an alternative. Rather than wait for Brakken to return she had a hushed conversation with Bian Insac, who set off with Roderigo to find a mutual friend of theirs. Leon went back to the village to find out anything he could about the Danorans (which wasn’t much), and Uru tried to present himself to the orcish guards as a visiting fey lord. They were unimpressed. Uru became irate at this response, but his complaints fell on deaf ears: Ber did not have the same relationship with the fey as Risur did, and fey titles meant nothing to them at all.

Brakken returned, despondant. The Ob had ruined his reputation with the Bruse who did not want a mind-reader at court and refused to see him. Brakken took his shire horse and stomped back down to Nimba, crestfallen.

By this time, Bian returned. He told Gupta that ‘Don Zaputo’ would meet her and one other unit member, but that they should wait at the bottom of the steps near the tavern in Nimba, and not acknowledge him when he arrived. He did not want to be unmasked by showing them favour. They went to the meeting place (with Uru hidden, and Leon keeping watch through his spirit familiar) and soon after, a flamboyant man with fair hair and an eye-patch arrived and began canoodling with a local wench. As he did so, he began talking to them, in Elvish, over his shoulder. Korrigan recognised his voice, as did Gupta: this was not other than Saladoor, the RHC officer who had posed as a member of Jered Lawman’s band of musicians in an attempt to get close to Gale. He had worked with the unit during their investigation into the murder of Nilasa Hume, but departed under a cloud when they parleyed with Gale instead of arresting her. He was now the RHC’s eyes and ears at the Bruse’s court, having previously focused on their naval developments. (He had only arrived at court recently, at the behest of Lauren Cyneburg and Gupta got the impression he was sore at having missed the presence of Tinker under his nose for so long.)

He told them Lya had got the Bruse and his advisors wrapped around her little finger, and advised the unit to seek to try the Adulthood Challenge. Don Zaputo would go to court and goad the Bruse into accepting, as Lya would no doubt counsel him not to. Gupta pressed him for tips about the challenge and he whispered that the sheer walls were shortcuts and to watch out for the pit traps. Then he departed. For added caution, Gupta had a quiet word with his lady friend and erased their identities from her mind.

(While they were talking, Gupta was momentarily distracted by the arrival of a reply from Stover Delft suggesting they use the ‘Coldfire Code’ which Cambion would know. No one in the unit was familiar with the code, having been out of the RHC for three years.)

The unit made their challenge straight away. About half an hour later, an elderly orcish messenger arrived to say their challenge had been accepted, and bugles began to blow from the walls of the fort. A magically enhanced announcement told the encamped petitioners that an Adulthood Challenge would proceed on the third blast of the horns. There were cheers as laughs and chatter, as hundreds of people began to make their way towards the hedge maze and into the bleachers, where huge sconces had now bit set alight. While all this was happening, the messenger said that the Bruse was unhappy to let a gigantic golem take the challenge. Conquo was unhappy that he wouldn’t get to play. Korrigan and Leon argued that there was a human psyche residing within Conquo and the old orc said he would take this news back to the Bruse.

Glaucia finally arrived. She apologised: If she had arrived earlier they might have been able to skip this nonsense. But she said that if they were victorious it would stand them in good stead: the Bruse liked to be entertained.

At length, the old orc returned and spoke to a guard, who came to inform the unit that they would need to wait for the Minister of Advancement to assess if a real person truly resided within the golem (in which case the Bruse could not refuse his right to participate, according to the letter of the law). The rest of the unit advised Xambria to take over so she could convince this minister of her identity, but she and Conquo were both concerned that a switch might mean they were handicapped for the challenge: Xambria could not control Conquo’s form as readily, and it was too exhausting to switch back and forth. Conquo would have to deal with the minister himself.

By now the bleachers were quite full and noisy. The rest of the unit were permitted to watch from the top of the back wall while the bleachers filled up with all manner of monstrous humanoids, gleeful at the prospect of some unexpected entertainment. Glaucia talked while they waited, complaining about this new minister who had gained a lot of sway over the Bruse. A dwarf, he must have something to do with Tinker Oddcog and it was anybody’s guess how he might respond.

Rumdoom had roused himself and joined Conquo just as the Minister for Advancement arrived. It was none other than Khaled Valcheck of Black Star Mining! He didn’t recognise Rumdoom at first and began his evidently biased questioning of the golem. Rumdoom then revealed his identity and Valchek was completely thrown. He appeared slightly dazed by the circumstances but finally ‘remembered’ the animosity between himself and Rumdoom. He subjected Conquo/Xambria to questioning, but seemed to be off-put by Rumdoom’s presence. He stepped back between his two guards for safety when Rumdoom leaned in close and said "I think you'll agree that there's a person in there. A person!" Khaled Valchek garbled nervously in agreement and departed.

"Two people," said Conquo, sadly, to no one in particular.

The Bruse and his immediate court had taken their places in the royal box, with guests including Lya Jierre, Rush Munchausen and Merton Goncala. Rush waved. ‘Don Zaputo’ was also there, engaged in friendly banter with the Bruse: The Bruse himself was a fleshy white minotaur who now lounged happily, flanked by two concubines. Alongside him were a robed lizardfolk female and a female dragonborn. Glaucia introduced them as Zarkava Ssa’Litt – the Grand Vizier – and Kenna Vigilante – Minister for Dragon Affairs.

The challenge was about to begin and the unit were ushered to the entrance of the maze, where a pompous hobgoblin sat astride a huge sheep. He introduced himself as the Hedgemaster General (and his sheep as the Hedgetrimmer General), then barked out the rules and issued the unit with glowing, coloured crowns – a huge annoyance to Uru as they prevented him from concealing himself. They entered the labyrinth from the south, to an enormous roar from the crowd, whose anticipation had been whetted by the delay.

Fortunately for the unit they turned out to be ideally suited to taking the short cuts recommended by Don Zaputo: Uru could easily climb the hedge unharmed; Conquo was big enough and strong enough to make it over the sheer walls, giving Gupta a lift; Leon could teleport and Korrigan could transform himself into a Bolt of Avilona. Rumdoom proved to be equally adept at setting off the pit traps Don Zaputo had warned them about, and while he teleported randomly around the maze, the others negotiated it fairly handily, with Gupta’s knack for solving puzzles helping to inform their choices. Bodies of water were readily crossed; bears were shooed away with a shot or two. They were even lucky enough to randomly run into Rumdoom (who had also been seeing off his share of bears) before facing off against the mechanical B.E.A.R. True to form, Conquo got this thing in a headlock, while the others bashed it to pieces. It was barely worth getting out the miniature.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

DM's Notes

Full disclosure: I hate mazes. (I also hate crazy gnomes, and capricious kings, so when I first read a draft of episode 6, my heart sank a little. But the adventure as a whole more than lived up to my high expectations, so the inclusion of not one but three of my bete noirs was duly forgiven. But I digress.) I hate mazes. I was worried that running this one would be a dull-as-dishwater head:):):):), like every other maze in every other game, but I was wrong. The fact that my players were able to ace it saw to that, with Rumdoom kindly setting off the teleport traps to prove that there really was a challenge there, but they had managed to side-step it. Also - they were supposed to thrash the bears pretty handily and they did. I had sheets of graph paper on hand so that anyone who appeared in another part of the maze could create their own map, and this worked out quite nicely (although we only needed two).

My main digression here was to remove Glaucia from the equation and nerf poor Brakken, so the PCs had to rely on Gupta (via Bian and 'Don Zaputo') to trigger the challenge. This gave her player the chance to contribute in a substantial fashion and justify her place in the group. (Although funnily enough this issue hasn't come up again, even though she was only supposed to go as far as Seobriga.)

My favourite moment didn't go to Rumdoom this week, but to Conquo, who was very sad not to be included as a person in his own right (and equally sad not to be allowed to join in the game in the first place). Some great roleplaying there. The player is doing a great job of flipping back and forth between Conquo and Xambria.

Rumdoom still had a great moment, when Khaled Valchek appeared. He was literally speechless. The player couldn't decide what to do or how to respond. This is an NPC he invented and I co-opted for my evil DMing ends, and for a whole host of reasons, he really, really hates him. I'm so glad I thought to include him because the whole thing just got very personal. Rumdoom's player is already exchanging texts with Uru's:

"Rumdoom to Uru on the qt: Hey laddie - I need help. If we get the chance, Khaled - can you take him down? Not dead. Immobilized, if you get me. The Stone of Not. I have to know what he knows. Can you help me laddie?" Uru is getting his tools.

Valchek also did not know how to respond because he's a replicant, and had to fish the memory of who Rumdoom was from the mind of the real, captive Valchek.

What will happen if Uru tries to poison the replicant?

Re: poison. Hm.

They're supposed to be linked to the 'pilot,' so such attacks *can* harm them, but damage would be reduced. As for non-damaging poison effects, obviously the duplicants are immune to inhaled toxins - that's the whole point of the mustard gas attack - but maybe if the duplicant is bloodied the poison would somehow work through the link to the pilot.

gideonpepys

Re: poison. Hm.

They're supposed to be linked to the 'pilot,' so such attacks *can* harm them, but damage would be reduced. As for non-damaging poison effects, obviously the duplicants are immune to inhaled toxins - that's the whole point of the mustard gas attack - but maybe if the duplicant is bloodied the poison would somehow work through the link to the pilot.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm kind of hoping Korrigan gets wind of their plan and puts a stop to it, because they might uncover the duplicant plot too early. We'll see how things go tonight!

gideonpepys

Cypher Zeitgeist

I finally got the chance to respond a bit more fully to a question asked by [MENTION=6776023]hirou[/MENTION] in another thread, which I had been meaning to talk a bit more about in this thread anyway.

A disclaimer before I start: I very much enjoyed 4E, as did most of my players. But having left it behind I was in no hurry to return. However, I was in a hurry to return to Zeitgeist having realised that no other setting was scratching my itch in quite the same way. In the end it took just two or three weeks from inception to gameplay, which says a lot about why it has been a successful switch!

We put most of our efforts into converting the characters; I put hardly any into converting the adventures. 4E provides such user-friendly power descriptions, I can assign a level to an NPC and mine their 4E stat block for powers on the fly.

For characters, I decided to bend a rules a lot to recreate the flavour and feel of each unit member, and not fret about adhering to the Cypher System rules too closely. One major change was to give each character two foci (primary and secondary), which made it much easier to get the characters just right. (The primary focus is the one written as a verb phrase on their sheet; the secondary focus reflects some other important aspect of the character that ticks along in the background and adds an important missing element that the character had in 4e.)

I set their level of advancement at the bottom of tier 3, and decided that they would advance a tier per adventure until adventure 10, when we would start to use the power shift rules from Gods of the Fall (and Cypher System supers rules) to create truly epic heroes befitting the nature of the campaign at that stage.

Magic items were easy to convert to artifacts. I jettisoned any minor 'rules tax' items the players had and kept only those that felt iconic to the PC. I plan to only distribute the major items that appear in each adventure, with a smattering of single-use items (or 'cyphers') that I will draw straight from the system, limiting the characters to a certain number according to their type and tier.

And that's it. There really isn't much more that I can say because it's all been so simple. The hardest part was character conversion and that's done. Maybe I'll add a post adding a bit more detail on that aspect later.

Max Traction

First Post
I've been waiting for the 5e port of Zeitgeist over on ENsider for a while now. I bought the first part of the path for Pathfinder, and planned to convert it to 5e on the go while I wait for the Ensider publication. I have been tossing around the idea of just using cypher for the whole thing though, since it's so flexible I figured it would be easier to convert.

Do you have any note you would be comfortable sharing? I'm kind of on the fence about how I want to do this. Depending on how fast Ensider moves on these I might end up being an adventure ahead of the their own conversion anyway.

gideonpepys

I've been waiting for the 5e port of Zeitgeist over on ENsider for a while now. I bought the first part of the path for Pathfinder, and planned to convert it to 5e on the go while I wait for the Ensider publication. I have been tossing around the idea of just using cypher for the whole thing though, since it's so flexible I figured it would be easier to convert.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the conversion, but then I could be wrong.

Do you have any note you would be comfortable sharing? I'm kind of on the fence about how I want to do this. Depending on how fast Ensider moves on these I might end up being an adventure ahead of the their own conversion anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'comfortable'. But my main note would be that it's simple and easy, like I said in my last post. You also wouldn't face the challenge of rebuilding old characters from another system, which was the hardest part for us. I'll write something about how we did that later (but it might not be relevant to you). For now, I've attached the only conversion notes I have bothered to make so far (hoping that I'm not in transgression of copyright for some reason).

Attachments

• Revelations NPC Stats.docx
    16.6 KB · Views: 124

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases