ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Session 41, Part Two - Kept Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVe892acjA

Having found nothing but debris in the area of the keystone exhibit, they tried to establish if Nicodemus and friends had come this way, and if they had passed through into the vault beyond. Both Korrigan and Kasvarina felt that they had. They were about to head down the next hallway (no iron doors here, either) when Uru sent a whisper through the messenger wind: a figure was moving in the rubble, trying to keep out of sight. When they investigated they found a wounded old dwarf. To their surprise, it was someone they knew! Throgmorton, of the REID – partner and bodyguard of the archaeologist Orum Dwist and agent of the R.E.I.D. (Risuri Eldritch Investigation Division.)

Throgmorton was relieved to be rescued. He said they had returned to Odiem in pursuit of the planar idol, despite Leon’s instructions. They had come with a larger team, but most – including Dwist himself – had fallen in combat with some chained devils to the south. (The unit exchanged glances at this, recognising the description from their Vision of the Far Future.) Throgmorton had escaped, but his wound had begun to fester, and he had lost his armour to a huge pair of rust monsters. He also warned them that it was impossible to leave the vault. When they attempted to do so they found themselves teleported to another part of the dungeon, where they were beset by a hideous, gigantic, malformed… thing. Two of their number fell to it before they fled. That was when they ran into the devils.

While they listened, they healed him up and got him back on his feet. Then they asked him what state the island had been in when they arrived. Throgmorton told them that the lighthouse had been repaired and was inhabited by a clergy inquisitor and his acolytes. (Orum Dwist had shown them a license the clergy had granted him, and one of the acolytes had joined their number.)

Mulling this over, they asked if Throgmorton was able to walk. He confirmed that he felt a good deal better now and reassured them that his armour may have been metal, but his weapon was not. (He tapped his temple as he said this, and they remembered that he fought with a weapon formed from thought itself – a ‘mind-glaive’; Throgmorton was a savant – like Ludo Marcione and Leone Quital, possessed of unique magical powers that were not derived from study or from bloodline.)

From the destruction of the vault of Accursed Items, they travelled down a featureless 400-foot tunnel before arriving at another iron door. The rust monsters had not ranged here for some reason. Beyond, another vault. Carved into the lintel above the entrance was the admonition, “Let none cause harm to these afflicted innocents. Show them mercy.”

Just inside the door they found a desiccated corpse clutching in agony at a cursed one-eyed helmet that had twisted its head into cyclopean form. Wisely, they left well it well alone.

This vault was full of tiny, glowing motes that seemed to drift and follow them as they moved. Leon thought they were demonic in nature.

Most of the vault was empty now, and they followed the muted sound of sobs and whimpers to the Pious Mount, where they found an elderly man trapped in a pillar of fire.

Before they could climb the steps to the mount, Matunaaga and Uru moved to investigate the large area opposite. Where most other vaults featured a keystone exhibit at this point, this one appeared as empty as the rest of the chamber, though its vaulted ceiling was obscured by magical darkness through which even Uru could not peer.

As soon as they crossed the threshold, something plummeted, screaming from above: a winged, female form. Her descent snapped short at eye level, brought to a halt by six gold chains that fixed her to the ceiling. Silver hooks bit into her arms, legs, and back. Sinewy and starved, she thrashed and screamed again. Blood stained her feathered wings, and her eyes had sunk so deep she appeared eyeless.

Korrigan turned from the foot of the mount and came with the others to view this horrible sight up close: a grim parody of the fate of Ashima-Shimtu. The Humble Hook, and his knowledge of clergy history, informed thim that this prisoner was Linia. An angel, she had lived on Lanjyr for thousands of years. Famously, she helped Triegenes defeat the Demonocracy and found the Clergy. After his death she began to speak out against the corruption of the hierarchs who succeeded him, and for centuries she was a thorn in their side. The history books said that she was slain by the eladrin and her death prompted the war of the First Victory. And yet, here she was, very much alive, entombed in a clergy prison…

As an angel she needed no food, but centuries of imprisonment had clearly taken their toll. All Linia could do was babble incoherently as Korrigan tried to communicate with her:

“He travels in your breath, on your words, in the rustle of your hair in the breeze. You are not possessed. Don’t believe the voices in your ears. Believe only the voice in your head. You have no torches. You’ll go blind. You’ll die of thirst, but drink with the left hand! Please leave now and beg them to cut me down. I’ll agree to their lies. I’ll call them gods. Please let me die.”

Moved by her plight, he began to try to free her, calling on Leon and Kasvarina to help too. Neither could dispel the wards placed on her, so Korrigan sought to physically break the chains, striking at them with Maur Granatha’s sword, and pulling at the hooks with his bare hands. He struggled to do so to the point of exhaustion; then – having failed utterly – he used his hurtloam hands to soothe her for a time. As he did so, she repeated her plea for him to kill her in a whisper, but Korrigan could not bring himself to do so.

Quratulain watched him intently, moved by his actions.

At last they decided to withdraw from the chamber, at which point, poor Linia was winched back up into the darkness. As she went, Korrigan wondered if Nicodemus had come here, and realised that he had. Not only that – when he first saw Linia he thought he had found what he was looking for, and left, disappointed to search elsewhere; a worrying revelation.

Korrigan left disappointed, too, for very different reasons. “I will return,” he promised the angel.

Then he turned his attention to the burning man.

End of Session

gideonpepys

The Long Answer

I don't have a good sense of how much the typical group cares about the origin of Nicodemus, or how often PCs are followers of Millerism and how they'd react to finding out they've been on the villain's side the whole time.

Where's your party stand, philosophically?

I already answered this question as best I could at the time, but received an email from Korrigan's player a few days ago which answers it in a lot more detail. The email came in response to a request I made that players articulate their plans for their characters long-term, and consider fresh mechanical developments they would like to pursue, now we have reached 6th tier of Cypher System. As always, the player in question covers all the bases, and then some:

Here are my long overdue thoughts on Korrigan's further development both in terms of game mechanics and personal story.

So far Korrigan has had two main characteristics.

First he was physically altered which at first seemed like a handicap, but which he was able over time to develop into a nice range of (mostly) utility powers. As cool as these abilities are they can only take him so far since their scope is very limited, basically to benefit only Korrigan himself.

Secondly it is his role as a commander with its roots in his past military career. This has allowed him to lead the team as an effective unit and face challenges perhaps greater than anyone would have expected. He knows he has the talent and charisma for leadership and is fully committed to building on this strength. More importantly he fully recognises the responsibility this lays on him. Responsibility for the team who have put their trust in him, but also far wider responsibility for the nation and perhaps the whole world to be not only it's guardian against the Ob, but to be a role model, a guide, a champion for those who need it.

And again he feels his current skill is not enough because it is mainly usable only on the battle field. Which has gradually but firmly lead him in the third direction - philosophical study. The true victory is achieved not on the battlefield, but in the people's minds - is his driving conviction. Countless hours he has spent deliberating over Miller's texts, teachings of Triegenes, history and social issues, asking himself what really is the best way for development of an individual or civilization, what is the meaning of faith, where lies the line separating good from evil, is there such a thing as ideal society, is there any merit in Ob's goals and operations... and many more.

Korrigan is one of those commanders who submit their own lives to the strictest discipline and focus towards the goal. Who sleep five hours a day, retire last and get up first, who are spending all their time either acting or planning for the action. If somebody sees him seemingly idle it is perhaps when he does the most intense work calculating the moves of his adversaries, analysing the clues, pondering tough decisions. During adventures it mostly remains behind the scenes, but other characters may have noticed, that if they walk on him in the quiet hours of the evening, they always find him reading books or writing notes and letters. In the mornings they find him meditating. He also corresponds more than the adventure at hand requires, keeping in touch with his many contacts.

All of this may not represent itself in game mechanics, except for something that may be almost like a side effect. Korrigan believes that any change and any attempt at improvement must begin in oneself and so he has been spending a lot of time examining his own heart and mind. Perhaps as a result of this or of his study of religious and philosophical texts (or both) at some point he felt a vague sensation of his mind extending beyond his physical body. After this strange feeling appeared a few times Korrigan decided to attempt to consciously invoke it and maybe even manipulate it. (I reminded the player that this would flow nicely from the three years Korrigan spent living with the gith, during our campaign hiatus. I have edited out further discussion of mechanics as they are not pertinent here.)

If that's ok I would also like to discuss some more general thoughts about the personal development of the character outside the scope of the adventuring per se. Please let me know what you think about it, but it also helps me to organise my own thoughts which I previously never wrote down.

1. As mentioned before Korrigan wants to build a wider circle of support to somewhat counter the Ob's extensive network of agents and resources. To this end he wants a reliable and potent contact in each nation. In addition he is keen to foster any less prominent contacts as well as contacts that his team mates have established but perhaps neglected since. I am willing to spend XP on such contacts if suitable candidates arise.

2. Korrigan also has not completely forgotten his political work (I don't want to call it ambition because it has nothing to do with personal advancement, but rather with the desire to serve the people). Of course being mostly away from flint makes this quite difficult, but potentially if circumstances arise Korrigan is willing to challenge the governor's position in Flint again. To this end I would like him to keep regular correspondence with Heward Sechim, Deneric Jayce, the leader of Flint's dockers (forgot the name) and other prominent supporters from his active political days.

3. In addition to the previous point. Korrigan as a character perhaps has not been considering it, but I just wanted to throw it out there. Back when we were playing out his political campaign in Flint I sort of thought what if we reach epic level what would Korrigan's goals and aspirations be? And one of the things that came to mind was that perhaps at that stage if the Flint political career would go well Korrigan could perhaps take it further and become the successor for the throne. I know it's a long stretch, but I thought it could be a fitting end to an epic character arc. Of course it depends on what your plans for the campaign are, maybe I'm thinking in a completely wrong direction... Much more recently I have been also thinking that maybe Korrigan could take a different route and by campaign's finale become something of a spiritual figure akin to Triegenes or Miller by developing his own philosophical and social teaching aimed to a brighter future for everyone.

4. Regardless of how you are planning to use Korrigan in the campaign I want him to work on his own philosophical thought. He would do it even if there is no chance for it to become widely known and accepted. He just needs it to make sure he has a sound foundation for his own moral stance and to know where exactly he sands in opposition to Nicodemus/Miller, so that when it comes to the eventual final confrontation he does not stumble on any doubts. And as he is sorting out his own thoughts he will inevitable develop reflections and ideas that he will want to share with those who think similarly. In the game I think this will show as his continuing relationship with Sentacore - he could use him as a sparring partner of sorts for the Plato-like dialogues. I don't want to reduce Sentacore to a position of a scribe unless you think he would be happy to do that. But at the very least even if Korrigan writes his own essays etc. he would give them to Sentacore to read through and maybe brush them up before sending to his contacts within Panoply, Flint university etc. (maybe he could even publish some articles in Flint or national newspapers.. is his journalist contact Johan Grim still active? Or was he killed? (DM's Note: He was. Blown up by the radical eschatologists.)).

5. Korrigan has been feeling increasingly uneasy about letting his son grow up without his dad. Of course taking a young child on crazy and lethal spy adventures his father has would not be responsible... but it doesn't prevent Korrigan from thinking and trying to find ways to be closer to his son. If any opportunity arises he will be happy to grab it. One of the options I was considering would be rehousing him on The Impossible. Korrigan would also be keen to find a person he could trust to look after his son when he himself is not around. Sort of a governess or something... I even had an idea of asking Clockwork Count to perhaps build a construct for this. But of course without someone like Grappa it would be impossible to make a human-like sentience...

6. And speaking of Clockwork count. When he is next in Flint Korrigan will pay him a visit. The name I want to offer is Aldan (or Alden) Wondermaker. My idea was to find a name meaning 'wise man' or 'protector of the weak', and Aldan fits nicely because apparently in anglo-saxon it means 'old friend', 'wise' and 'protector' (dunno how it all fits in one name, but that's what the name dictionary said). So this is what Korrigan will respectfully tell him, adding that it is a human tradition to also bear a family name, however, since he does not have a family name he is in his right to start one, and Korrigan thinks Wondermaker is both truthful and evoking respect.

7. Some minor points. I would like Korrigan to have the following magical or mechanical means, if at all possible. If it is possible I am willing to work towards it.
a) a loudspeaker (for occasions when he may need to address large crowds)
b) a typewriter or something that would allow him to eschew writing all his correspondence by hand. Perhaps an automaton secretary? Or a live one? Or Sentacore can be co-opted?
c) regardless of the above Korrigan would like to have an automaton similar to Pemberton's duplicants or whatever Clockwork count/Wondermaker can come up with. I can imagine several uses - to allow contact with pemberton if needed; to allow Korrigan or another team member to use it as a vessel in a potentially dangerous circumstances (of course I would not want to abuse it, but the potential of this is such that I cannot imagine how Korrigan could ignore this possibility); finally perhaps the most crazy idea, but still - what if a way can be found to capture the soul of a fallen comrade (or an NPC) and resettle it in the automaton in the event of death similarly to Xambria (again, Korrigan would explore the idea until he is certain it is definitely not possible).
d) another idea that I threw out there some time ago, but maybe now it could be considered again. Now that Lamprey is lost it wouldn't hurt to look into possibility of capturing one of Danoran/Ob submarines. Not only it could be very useful in circumstances when The Impossible is not practical, but also of course it would weaken the enemy.

I am always grateful when players just come right out and say what their characters want. I asked the player if he was happy for me to share his email, as I think it answers RangerWickett's question very comprehensively, and showcases the amount of thought and effort my players put into this campaign. It's always nice to know you're not the only one!

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 42

While they tended Uriel, and as he slowly began to return to himself, Serafima Savelli talked with Rumdoom’s retinue, who came to him urgently with some information she had shared with them: that the demoness in the heart of this vault was said to have been responsible for the Great Malice. Rumdoom shrugged. He’d heard worse. “Did we already know that?” he asked Gupta. She shook her head. “Not that specifically, no.” Serafima also took the opportunity to talk with Rumdoom and ask him about the cause for his ‘deep sadness’, but Rumdoom did not feel like sharing with this stranger, however well-intentioned she might be. He told her something of his personal philosophy, by way of an explanation. Serafima told him she didn’t fully understand eschatology; that it seemed to her to be all about death. Rumdoom said, “This is Rumschatology”.

Once Uriel was back on his feet, they established where their teammates were and set off to join them. They arrived in the vault of Afflicted Innocents, just after the rest of the unit finished dealing with Linia:

Korrigan had learned the name and past history of the burning man: he was Ennio Adolini, the architect of the vault. After he completed it, the clergy accused him of being possessed by a demon, put him on trial and sentenced him to be placed here, to contain creature within him. A thousand years of torment made it difficult for him to talk, but his mind was still intact. Adolini warned them not to try to free him. Quratulain announced that he was indeed possessed and that the clergy had put the demon there themselves. (Uriel and Uru debated the morality – or lack thereof – demonstrated by the clergy thus far; Uru was reluctant to view them negatively, having decided – in his bizarre fey way – that they were the team he supported; Uriel had come to abandon all faith in them – but not necessarily in Triegenes.)

Korrigan gained Adolini’s trust by showing him the Humble Hook. He promised that they would expose what the clergy had done here. Adolini asked them to perform a ritual atop the Pious Mount, by cupping water from the font below, placing their other hand on the mosaic here and drinking the water. Korrigan did so and was blessed. Adolini then told them a chant to protect them from the skeletal servants in the vault (which had already sprung up and attacked Leon when he was wounded by his own weapons). He also explained the nature of the leaden curse that would transmute all gold to lead, and then cause them to be teleported into the vault of Beasts if they tried to leave. Only gold could prevent that. (Uriel wondered if he could create some.) He also explained that they could escape by swimming from the final vault, although the tunnel was 500 feet long and enchanted to dispel shape-shifting and water-breathing magic.

They thanked him, and Leon used the Wayfarer’s Lantern to relieve his suffering for a few minutes. When it became clear that their conversation was over, another growling voice spoke from Adolini and told them it would serve them for a time if released. It promised to ‘carve a path to the exit’. They declined and it cursed them as they left.

In the main chamber of the vault, Korrigan decided to deal with a pressing matter before they went on. Finding that the Humble Hook told him nothing about Serafima, he questioned her about her arrival on the island, using Throgmorton’s testimony that the place had been inhabited. She said there had been signs of conflict when she came. Quratulain then declared that Serafima was not clergy, despite her trappings. Serafima flannelled for a while longer, then came clean: she was in fact a demonologist from Trekhom who just wanted to study Ashima-Shimtu, and begged them not to abandon her in the vault. While other members of the unit began to discuss the merits of this, Korrigan said simply, “You’re lying”.

At that, she reached into the folds of her robe, and withdrew a bloody ice crystal, saying (in a voice Rumdoom found horribly familiar), “O glacier of blood, sate your hunger!” Matunaaga shot her and punched her before she could do anything else, but that caused her to drop the crystal which shattered and filled the vault with a swirling ice storm. From within, she gloated about how she had almost fooled them a second time, and Rumdoom realised that this was Grandis Kamanov! Uru braved the snow storm it and shot her again, whereupon her form shattered into thousands of tiny fragments. Leon confirmed that this was nothing more than a simulacrum – which was why no mind-reading spells had worked. Sadly, the real Grandis remained at large.

As they left the vault of Afflicted Innocents, Kasvarina spoke with Korrigan and said that while she usually had little time for the melodramatic heroism of mortals, his actions in the vault, and over the course of time, had caused her to come to respect him very highly and she was glad that she had thrown her lot in with them all those weeks ago. Korrigan said, “As we have journeyed through your memories I have come to know you better and understand your motivations. I don’t judge you for your past. It is clear that Nicodemus has always been manipulating you. I believe that you must by now have realised that and can say ‘no’ to that past and are now a better person than you were. We’ll do this together. We’ll beat the Ob together.” Kasvarina said that she very much hoped so. Uriel took this opportunity to thank Kasvarina for enabling him to rediscover his own past and Kasvarina responded graciously that his trials and tribulations had made her own easier to bear. Later, though, she confided in Leon that she had begun to dread the revelations that remained, and doubted her ability to hold herself together. Leon did his best to reassure her that her past was not her future, regardless of what they discovered further on.

On their way out of the vault – forewarned by Adolini that traps awaited any who had conversed with him or Linia – Ururanged ahead, crawling along the ceiling and scanning the floor very carefully. Progress was slow. It was sheer good fortune that he managed to throw himself clear of the huge pillar embedded in the ceiling that crashed down into the passage below. Once he was aware of the mode of the trap, he was able to easily see where the other pillars were and guide the others back to the vault of Accursed Items (where he also found a magical egg in the remains of the rust monster they killed).

All of the traps in the next long passageway had been disabled or deactivated long ago, but since then someone had placed obvious and easily avoided fraises of bone and metal spears – narrow enough to deter anything larger than human size (such as huge rust monsters?) from making their way down this passage. At length they came to a T-junction, where another passageway headed north towards the final vault. Ahead, the iron doors to the Vault of Damned Souls were guarded by a pallid group of ‘warriors’ who wore leaden chains like bandoliers. One went inside to report their arrival; the others tried to look intimidating. Throgmorton said this was the group who had captured Orum Dwist, and that Dwist felt sure the Bloodstone Ape lay in this direction. Suddenly, a memory event transpired, drawing Kasvarina and Quratulain into combat with another group of leaden legionnaires, of whom they made very short work. They were led by a bearded devil who fled. Then they headed north. The door guards shifted uneasily as the memory event dissipated.

Korrigan shrugged off the mantle of Nicodemus, and said to Kasvarina, “I think there is something else we need to do before we continue.” Kasvarina acquiesced and Korrigan told the guards to stand aside. They did so, nervously. Another of their number came to say that ‘Belcamp desired to speak with these newcomers’ and so they made their way through the vault, gathering legionnaires as they went, until they came to the Pious Mount and Keystone Exhibit, by which time they were surrounded by more than thirty of them. Some were obviously captured tomb-robbers, as their clothes were relatively modern; some appeared to be ancient in origin, while still others were demonic even before they had been chained. Two of this latter group tormented Somnia, the lillend, who had been lashed to a ten-foot flaming sword atop the Pious Mount. Gupta and Kasvarina were both amazed to see that this was one of Srasma’s blades.

Ahead, on a throne formed by his own subjects, watching dretches clown for his amusement, sat Belcamp, a bearded demon (the very one from the memory event) whose own chains were made of gold. There followed a cursory negotiation in which Korrigan demanded the release of certain prisoners, and access to the vault beyond. Belcamp refused, unless the group secure a magical rod for him. It could be found in the chamber with the rust monsters; with it he would defeat his ancient foe, Giovanni. While the idea of pitting these two rival groups against one another very much appealed to Korrigan, it became obvious that the rest of the unit were in no mood to parley with these creatures and were impatient for a fight. (Throgmorton spotted Orum Dwistamong the legionnaires; Quratulain analysed the situation and felt certain that recent recruits could be ‘salvaged’.)

Fed up of talk, Uru revealed his position on the ceiling when he unleashed the ghostly entourage who threw open the iron doors behind Belcamp’s throne. Korrigan strode forward and a fight ensued. Uru took the form of Giovanni (albeit smaller and standing on the ceiling), taunted Belcamp and then vanished, only to reappear when Uriel caught the devil in a pillar of radiance, killing him with a single shot. Quratulain and Matunaaga mowed down legionnaires in huge numbers, and Rumdoom unleashed an enormous ice storm that hurt his allies as well as their foes, but cut down the weak legionnaires in swathes. The fight was over in a matter of seconds. Matunaaga stunned Orum Dwist and they worked to free him. (It was too late to help the clergy acolyte who was captured alongside him; Quratulain had killed him, accidentally or otherwise.)

Dwist was extremely grateful, and keen to continue his search for the Bloodstone Ape: Belcamp had said that the annis hag Gorago and her band had negotiated with him for passage (there had been a few goblins added to his legion as a result) but they had not returned from the vault of Beasts of the Infernal Horde. Somnia the lillend, a beautiful, fascinating creature – breathtaking and alarming in equal measure – was also very grateful to be free and said she would come with them until the opportunity arose for her to use her song on their behalf. It would send the inhabitants of the vault into a deep sleep. Leon offered her the chance of freedom, but the strange creature refused and said she would prefer to return to Giovanni once her debt had been paid. “I’ve seen the outside world, thank you. An eternal party is far better.”

So they travelled down the next passageway, handily avoiding yet another trap, thanks to Leon’s mastery of teleportation magic. (This trap would have seen its victims teleported elsewhere in the complex.) Having braced themselves, they threw open the great iron doors at the far end and were greeted by a horrifying sight: a flayed giant, without feet, crawled its thunderous and bloody way towards them, accompanied by the baying of burning hellhounds.

Thank heavens for the lullaby of Somnia, which caused all of these creatures to slow, lower themselves gently to the floor and fall soundly asleep. This effect would only last a few minutes, she said, so they needed to make haste!

End of Session

gideonpepys

Session 43, Part One

The Bloody Juggernaut

Somnia had told them that her lullaby would only last a few minutes, so Matunaaga set off through the vault at a smart sprint, to investigate the furthest reaches. Rumdoom left his retinue to keep the doors open, and looked in the side chambers, while Uru and others – including Korrigan, Kasvarina and Quratulain, gingerly approached the slumbering juggernaut, fascinated by its sheer hideousness. Leon opened up several wormholes to aid rapid movement, just in case.

Still by the door, Gupta stared in wonder at the scene and came to the sudden, unexpected conclusion that the bloodstone ape was not here. (Orum Dwist anxiously dismissed this notion, convinced the idol could be found here.) At once, Uriel got the inexplicable feeling that it was he who had told her this. He reached into his mind and found an old trick Malthusius had learned from his own prior incarnations: location loresight. But when he used it, instead of getting a simple answer to his question, he was drawn into a personal memory event, which he narrated as it played out:

He saw Gorago, the armoured annis hag, fighting her way through this vault with her cohort – a lamia, a quickling, two satyrs and a handful of goblinoids. As she went, she deliberately sacrificed her allies to the monsters in the vault, at one point using the tip of her greatsword to hamstring the lamia, causing it to fall victim to and be torn apart by the juggernaut. She reached a pedestal at the far end of the vault, where a foot-tall ape carved of bloodstone stood. Gorago took it, whispered a spell, and transformed into a flying insect before weaving her way out of the vault leaving her allies dead and dying behind her.

While Uriel related his vision, Korrigan used the Humble Hook on the slumbering juggernaut. Its name was an incomprehensible combination of sensations – screams and stenches – and its life history so vile and agonizing that Korrigan could barely prevent himself from retching. Uru could not work out if the thing was formed like this, or was rendered this way through vile magic or torture. (Quratulain, though, could see that the creature had always been this way; not a flayed giant, but a fully formed nightmare of one.) Uru was so unnerved by the juggernaut that his intrepid nature abandoned him and he withdrew to the exit.

Not a moment too soon: Though she had to sustain her lullaby, Somnia gestured to let those closest to her know that she was alarmed, and sure enough, the juggernaut (but not the hellhounds) began to stir, too powerful a demon to be lulled for long. As it reared up, Kasvarina struck it and retreated, while Matunaaga took aim and fired too. The beast was injured, and responded by disgorging a flood of acidic, bloody bile over Korrigan and Quratulain. Then it began to brace itself for a charge, its flayed, bloody flesh hardening; Uriel had already witnessed what would happen next: the juggernaut would charge, trampling all those before it, healing itself as it went. But Uriel was locked in his memory event, and could not move aside!

Orum Dwist focused his mind and used a powerful hex to harm the creature without the need to pierce its hardened skin. Uru followed this up with a shuriken shot, placed with an assassin’s skill. The horrifying demon crumbled to the chamber floor.

Having already picked himself up from the pool of bile, Korrigan acted quickly and ordered the others to withdraw. He wanted to double-check the Pious Mount, and didn’t want to risk anyone else in doing so. As the others obeyed, he ran forward through the double doors, while Leon opened up another wormhole behind him and stepped through in support. There was nothing on the mount, but Korrigan did spot a small decanter sitting in a tiny flame near the font below. He grabbed it and departed swiftly before Somnia’s lullaby ceased. As he and Leon dashed out of the chamber, Uriel suddenly snapped out of his reverie and shouted a warning about the juggernaut before realising that it was dead.

Welcome Aboard

Back in the Vault of Damned Souls, a lot of them used the blessing ritual on the Pious Mount. It was decision time for Gupta, meanwhile: both she and Kasvarina had declined to take up the First Blade of Srasma, upon which Somnia had been lashed. Each declared themself unworthy to do so. Kasvarina maintained her stance, but encouraged Gupta to change her mind. It did not matter that she was not a full-blooded eladrin, the matriarch insisted. And so Gupta took up the sword, and studied it to learn more about its powers. Quratulain was interested in the sword too, and told Gupta it had the power to locate any woman, but should not be used to harm the innocent or the user would be punished.

Korrigan suggested to Somnia that they would escort her back to Giovanni. He wanted to talk the man, and negotiate further payment for their services! Somnia said this was not necessary, but Korrigan persuaded her to accompany them instead of flying off.

Quratulain marvelled at Matunaaga’s weaponry, and the gith promised to show her how to use them when they had the time.

Their path back to Giovanni took them through the Vault of Accursed Items, where they dealt with another rust monster (“Told you,” said Throgmorton) in search of the rod Belcamp had wanted. They found the rod of negation (powerful; cursed – just like everything in here), and won another magical rust monster egg into the bargain.

When they reached the Vault of Unholy Arms and Armour, Somnia flew ahead and away, eager to rejoin her friends, thanking them as she went. They tried to follow, but were challenged by Grunhilde, who refused them passage. There followed a debate about honour, fair bargaining, and the meaning of the word ‘passage’, but Grunhilde wouldn’t budge: If they wanted to speak with Giovanni again they would have to go through her, violently.

They decided not to do so and instead made their way back to the passageway approaching the final vault. Here Korrigan turned to Quratulain and said, “One more thing, before we proceed any further. You have journeyed with us through this vault, faced dangers, and proven yourself to be capable and trustworthy. I promised earlier that we would discuss your freedom. I want to know what you will do when you leave this vault.”

“I will want to kill Nicodemus,” said Quratulain. “Even more so now that I know I can do it from a distance.”

Korrigan nodded, took out an RHC badge he always carried with him, pinned it on Quratulain and shook her by the hand, saying, “As an RHC officer and leader of this unit, I hereby deputize you. I am giving you the immediate and ongoing assignment of protecting our charge, Kasvarina Varal, from harm.”

“I didn’t realise I was in need of a babysitter,” said Kasvarina, almost as taken aback as Quratulain.

“Not a babysitter. I don’t doubt your abilities, but I also value your life,” said Korrigan.

This action, and these words, had an unforeseeable and surprising effect: Quratulain still had hold of Korrigan’s hand, and through that contact, he was made aware of what was happening – to wit, Quratulain was struggling to pull herself from this memory event; to transfer her being, her conscience, herself, from wherever it was now, entombed under water and ice, and bring herself here, using the power of the Arc – just as Uriel had drawn items out of these memory events. But this act was far more difficult, and this may have been Quratulain’s only chance. Uriel understood what she was attempting to do and used his own knowledge of the Arc to help; Gupta and Korrigan helped too.

Not only did it work, but as Quratulain was drawn into a different present, Uriel sought and received divine intervention – from what source exactly, he was no longer sure, but many of his incarnations would have believed it was Triegenes – and Quratulain ‘arrived’ fully healed, blessed, and free from impediment.

To the others, who had merely borne witness to the event, it appeared to be nothing more than a very long handshake.

At last Quratulain responded by accepting Korrigan’s assignment. Then they moved on.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 43, Part Two

Session Soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVd1mxBZ7k

Kept Woman, Reprise

Where the final vault had been broken open when they last came here, they now found the seals intact, as they had been five hundred years ago. They now realised that it was necessary to have been purified on the Pious Mounts of all eight outer vaults in order to pass through here. But that was not how Nicodemus came through, surely. So they focused and allowed the original sequence of events to manifest, in which Nicodemus withdrew a clergy key from his robes, inserted it, and opened the vault doors. (Korrigan tried to retain the key, but failed to do so.)

Before moving on, Nicodemus warned both of his companions to be wary of what lay within. He said that he had studied for a long time, and endeavoured to prepare for this very moment as best he could, but that even he could not guarantee that he would not fall for some charm or trick. He advised them not to respond the demoness, but to leave all the talking to him.

Inside, the floor was intact. Where later it would be eroded by seawater and collapse, they now saw a frieze that told to story of Ashima-Shimtu – how she had betrayed the demonocracy by granting power to Triegenes, but later – after his death – would not share her greatest secret with his followers, and as a consequence was locked in this vault as punishment until she relented.

The chamber was empty and peaceful. Because it was so quiet, they could hear the almost imperceptible sound of distant chanting, which even the faintest noise or footfall could obscure. As they moved deeper into the vault, heading down the steps into the lee of the Pious Mount, the muffled chanting drew more distinct.

Another revelation came courtesy of Uriel’s ability to intuit the supernatural. He suddenly announced that the prayers were not in past, in the memory event with them, but in the present. With that, he focused on breaching the event, as Korrigan had done when retrieving Maur Granatha’s sword. The orisons at once grew louder, and Uriel followed them up the steps of the mount, opening up the memory event as a drop of oil spreads across water. Matunaaga found that there was an armoured corpse at his feet. Atop the mount, the prayers came from within a circle of golden mirrors, all positioned to face outwards.

The others recognised these mirrors, but their warning shouts came too late, as Uriel came close enough to one of them that it summoned forth a hostile doppelganger which attacked him. (Oddly, the ‘doppelganger’ actually took the form of Malthusius, while Malthusius had brought forth an image of Uriel when he came to this place four years ago.)

Uriel dodged its blow; Korrigan transformed into a bolt of Avilona and interposed himself; Matunaaga shot the doppelganger and it fell; Uru ghost-stepped inside the ring of mirrors, and saw an emaciated woman kneeling in constant prayer; Rumdoom wondered if these mirrors could be smashed, and drew back his hammer to throw it.

Uriel cried out a warning to the dwarf – he had already ascertained that these mirrors were unbreakable. Rumdoom ignored him, called upon his understanding of the runes of destruction, and threw his hammer at one of the mirrors, ordering it to break. It shattered into a thousand pieces.

Uriel sighed and used the more peaceful means of reshaping the stone beneath the first mirror and causing it to lower out of the way. Korrigan now recognised the woman as Ottavia Sacerdote.

Uru recognised her too, and transformed into the guise of Luc Jierre before addressing her. This caused Ottavia to cry out in fear – believing this to be a devilish trick (which in a way it was) – and send out a mental blast of psychic energy to drive her assailants away. They reeled before this assault, whereupon Uriel knelt down beside her and said, “We’re here to help you leave.” Korrigan ordered Uru away from the circle and knelt before Ottavia alongside Uriel. (Uru retreated muttering something about it being best to kill these people in the first instance, rather than risk running into them again.) Using techniques he had practised since his days with the gith, and hoping to focus his thoughts using the power of Ottavia’s circlet, Korrigan named himself, reminded her of who he was and tried to calm her.

Quratulain understood the situation, and thought aloud, “I was left here too. They want to help us.”

Korrigan let her know that they did not think Ottavia had been left behind; they had assumed Ashima-Shimtu had sent her elsewhere at her own request.

Seeming to really see him for the first time, Ottavia answered, “She kept me here.”

She did, said a familiar, feline ‘voice’. This was the first they had heard from Ashima-Shimtu since entering the Crypta Hereticum. It was the only way to ensure she did not betray her mortal friends, an act of faith they chose not to repay. And so they return to parley with the poor mistreated prisoner, having broken all their promises to her. And look what has happened to them in the meantime: The schism-wrought has lost the wife whose freedom he was promised; the gidim-foe has failed to unlock the means to save his people; the immortal failed to save his skin and returns in a new form; the shadow fey is only half-alive; and the elf-queen has lost EVERYTHING. All and each in consequence of their betrayal . Will they dare to ask another favour of the misused…?”

Her monologue was interrupted as the unit slowly approached her and the power of the Arc asserted itself.

What’s this? Another game? Very well… said Ashima-Shimtu, allowing the event to lead her.

Uriel took Ottavia gently by the arm and explained to her what was happening, and urged her not to be afraid. Kasvarina failed to retain control of herself for the first time since their first use of the Arc in Sentosa. Leon made sure to keep a careful eye on her, lest the event took a dangerous turn.

She, Nicodemus and Quratulain warily approach the demoness – a lithe, squamous humanoid depended over seawater on hooked chains, in a fashion similar to the angel Linia. Her blood continually drips into the water. Runes along the lip of the pit convert the sea spray to holy water that burns her in a fine mist. She seems asleep. At Nicodemus’ request, Kasvarina flies up and removes the hook that pins Ashima-Shimtu’s lips. She awakes and her movement causes the chains to jangle. Then she thanks them for this small relief and bids them speak.

Nicodemus explains that they have come to her in the hope of stopping holy war, and defeating the clergy. Nicodemus knows that she once shared the ‘Sacrament of Apotheosis’ with Triegenes and enabled him to defeat the demonocracy. Though she has always refused to give the ritual to his followers, Nicodemus hopes she will share it with him.

His plan is to give it to the clergy!

When they use it to summon their vision of Triegenes – as a warlike God – Kasvarina will give her people the means to kill it, and thereby destroy the militant priests who have led the clergy for so long. In the new era of peace, Nicodemus hopes to be able to return here and free Ashima-Shimtu.

Ashima-Shimtu agrees. Without hesitation, or negotiation, she begins to share the details of the ritual with Nicodemus.

Ottavia Sacerdote gave a cry, and another pulse of psychic energy slammed into the unit, as she broke away from Uriel and dashed towards Kasvarina. Matunaaga tried to stun her, but the psychic wave stunned him; it was left to Quratulain to discharge her new assignment and interpose herself. Then Uriel caught Ottavia in a beam of holy light and Leon pulled her into a daydream so that the memory event could continue:

Ashima-Shimtu outlines the ritual, then passes the knowledge of it on to Nicodemus. It is a complex arduous, hour-long rite requiring the blood and entrails of a sacrificed lion, an eagle, a whale and a dragon.

When the knowledge of the ritual has been shared, Ashima-Shimtu asks them where they wish to go. She can transport them anywhere connected by water. Nicodemus is pleased, as this will hasten his plans no end, and requests that they be transported to Methia. Then, as he leaps into the waters below, he says, “I am sorry, but they will not trust us if we release you, Quratulain. You must remain here for now. Demoness, I beg you on the terms of my promise. Keep this woman here.”

Quratulain gives an anguished cry and launches herself after him. Ashima-Shimtu transports her far, far away, and seals her beneath sea ice. …

Leon teleported Kasvarina back into the vault as she leapt; Korrigan resisted the urge to jump; Quratulain jumped, carried away by the memory, but Uriel caught her in a telekinetic grip and bore her back to safety.

Korrigan waited for the memory event to fade, then spoke with Ashima-Shimtu. He asked why she had kept Ottavia behind. The demoness reiterated that she sought to prevent Ottavia from betraying them, (and confessed that the idea of keeping a clergy priestess as a pet amused her). But, why, asked Korrigan, did Ashima-Shimtu want to help them in the first place? He reply was surprising – she had done so because they broke their pacts with her. She did not help Triegenes to save her skin, she said, but because his goodness intrigued her. Just as Ottavia’s did. Such power in self-righteousness and certainty! Ashima-Shimtu was drawn to it.

Korrigan addressed the terms of his deal. (He had been told to help Asrabey Varal to free his wife; Asrabey would then help him free his. All these things had come to pass, but Korrigan’s wife had died. (What power could Ashima-Shimtu have had over all this?)) Rather than remonstrate with the demoness, he thanked her for a valuable lesson that had made him stronger, and built his conviction to find his own path rather than seek help from a higher power. Freeing himself from his ill-advised pact (with Malthusius’ help) was a formative moment, he said. Though he regretted the loss of his wife, he was now at peace with it.

Ashima-Shimtu then offered to transport the unit anywhere they chose, just like she had done the last time. Uriel advised against this; they had gold now and could easily return the way they came. But Korrigan was intrigued by the demoness’ continued offer of help; and by the tactical possibilities.

First, he asked her way she wanted to aid them again. Ashima-Shimtu said that she hope they would one day be in a position to free her from this vault. Korrigan asked what on earth made her think he would ever do that.

One day you may understand, said Ashima-Shimtu, that even a demon can change.

Uriel again urged Korrigan not to trust her, but Korrigan now voiced his audacious idea: What if they were to go straight to Methia right now? Whatever preparations lay in wait for them (as Amielle Latimer had warned) Han Jierre could not expect they would arrive instantly, by river! Sadly, Ashima-Shimtu said that her magic could not take them beyond the fringe of the Dead Magic Zone, and the idea – however exciting had to be abandoned.

Uriel was relieved. Surely they would return to the entrance now? But no – Korrigan had already made his peace with accepting the demoness’ help and wanted to make all haste back to Flint. He asked Ashima-Shimtu to ensure they all arrived – Ottavia, Quratulain, everyone.

Before he leapt into the water, Uriel lingered, until Korrigan insisted he go ahead, unwilling to leave anyone behind him. Then Uriel said to the demon, “I promise when this is all over that I will come back and talk”.

Korrigan shoved him in, hoping that this threat would not see Uriel trapped under arctic sea ice.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 44, Part One - "In the Event of My Untimely Death..."

On their return to Flint, to avoid security issues, Leon, Kasvarina and Uriel make themselves scarce. Korrigan tells them to check in three times a day. Leon takes them to the bayou, and the cave of the Thinker.

First order of business – a de-brief with Delft. It is agreed that the unit must plan an incursion into Methia. [While these plans are ongoing, they will be dealt with in detail next session; this session focuses primarily on the extra-curricular ‘downtime’ activities each member of the unit engaged in, in between official duties.] Delft also requires that Quratulain submit herself to a vetting procedure, wishing to avoid another ‘Xambria-type situation’. Korrigan can deputise Quratulain with no such scrutiny, but if Quratulain wants access to RHC resources she must agree to submit to three tests: a mental scan by Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin; a rigorous interview with panel chosen by Delft; and a physical examination by the Clockwork Count (which was handy because Korrigan wanted to speak with him anyway). Quratulain agrees to these conditions.

Gupta teleports to Slate with Ottavia Sacerdote, escorting her to prison there (and returning with the third member of Quratulain’s interview panel, a senior investigator named Jonsa Weigh). It is decided that they will reunite her with Luc in the hopes that this will soften his attitude and encourage further co-operation. Gupta has been careful to cultivate a friendly relationship with Ottavia – learning sign language; arranging POW (rather than criminal) status for her; emphasising that she wasn’t there when Ottavia was left behind. Ottavia is still weak, and mentally drained by her horrifying experience, but remains strong. Stronger than Luc, who is a nervious, twitching mess. Luc is overjoyed to see Ottavia but remains hostile, despite her encouragement to make the best of their new situation. All he tells Gupta is the excited explanation Lya gave him of the code on the inside of her Ob ring – she had just been promoted and told him that this was presented by the number of letters in the third word of the inscription. (Each ring has a three word inscription. The first two words can be anything, as long as their initials are O.B. The number of letters in the third word indicates what tier of the conspiracy the officer is in, and the material the ring is made of identifies which cell. A gold ring is obviously Golden Cell. Silver rings mark Lantern Cell. Bronze rings indicate Colossus Cell. Most local cells use some local tree’s wood, or have a specific cut and colour of gem inset.) Luc shares what he knows about the Ob command structure – nothing about tiers one and two, but tier three is comprised of cell leaders, tier four denotes officers responsible for major projects, and tier five ‘trusted experts’. Luc was to have been inducted at tier four. Gupta returns to Flint to study the rings they have collected:

Lya Jierre. Originally tier 4 Golden Cell, “One Bested Four.” Later tier 3, “One Betters All.”
Mayor Reed Macbannin. Tier 4 Colossus Cell. “Overcome Black Arts.”
Lady Inspectress Margaret Saxby. Tier 5 Colossus Cell. “Opportunity Begets Glory.”
Caius Bergeron. Tier 4 Golden Cell. “Old Bergeron Gold.”
Finona Duvall. Tier 5 Golden Cell. “Original Brave Ideas.”
Ottavia Sacredote. Tier 4 Lantern Cell. “Orthodoxy Bolsters Gods.”
Dax Corbeau. Tier 4 Golden Cell. “Onslaught Brings Gains.”

Korrigan is frustrated to realise that they had not obtained Leone Quital’s ring. He was keen to ascertain if Quital was the leader of the bronze cell (as he assumed, or hoped).

During this time, Gupta and Korrigan both receive sendings from Melissa Amerie. Following the public spectacle they had unleashed in Seobriga – the betrayal of Kasvarina, and the death of her daughter at the hands of the dragon tyrant Rilego – Melissa had been curious about the fate of Sor Daeron. Kasvarina assumed he had died, but the memory event showed he had not. Tenacious and resourceful, the half-orc had tracked Sor down to a community of eladrin who lived two-hundred miles from Seobriga, in an area that was once remote until Damata Griento ploughed a railway through it. Tellingly, Sor was living under an assumed name, but it was definitely him. Korrigan added this to his long to do list:

Korrigan’s to-do list:
1. Call a meeting with my old 'political party'. Ask Heward Sechim for an update on the Clockwork Count's people and general situation in the city. I have also prepared a political memorandum that I want to discuss and if agreed – publish. (Meeting has been organised and scheduled for two days’ time. On a related note, Kieran Sentacore has decided to step back from frontline activity, following the quest for the Stone of Not in which he and everyone else almost perished at the bottom of the ocean. Korrigan retains him as a biographer, scribe and amanuensis and installs him on the Impossible. )
2. Meet with Clockwork Count. Give him the name Alden Wondermaker. Update him on the progress of welfare program. Ask about progress with the duplicant project. (Alden very much likes his new name. He will move on to the duplicant project once he is done with advanced rocketry.)
3. Talk with Kasvarina about her latest experiences and thoughts on the whole situation with the Ob. Ask if she has any particular concerns. Reassure her of my trust and of my intention to ensure her safety. If she is still uncomfortable with having Quratulain as bodyguard, offer to call it off. Korrigan can offer any support or counseling she may need. (If necessary afterwards talk to Leon to help him support her too). (On backburner.)
4. Meeting with Delft. Debrief on latest mission. Discuss the upcoming mission to Methia. Warn that if the team fails it may be the end and Risur should prepare for the dire consequences of Ob implementing their plans in near future. Korrigan is willing to speak with higher ups if needed. Also ask if there's any news on El Primo. (Done. Uru has been tasked with tracking down a kobold to see what El Extrano knows, if anything.)
5. Ask for Gupta's help with practicing mental powers if she has time. (Ongoing.)
6. Send a message and perhaps a parcel to Kai in the Hidden Valley. The upcoming mission may well turn out to be the most dangerous yet and Korrigan wants to prepare in case he does not return. (Overtaken by events. See below.)
7. If the situation with El primo seems pressing Korrigan will attempt to get in touch with El Extrano's network in Flint and ask if he knows anything about it. (See above. NB: How ‘pressing’ this is depends upon whether you want Cippiano’s help.)
8. Get in touch with Flint Tribune and seek to re-establish contact with any trustworthy reporter or editor (perhaps Amerie can recommend someone). Also publish Korrigan's philosophical thesis expanding on Millerism. (In pipeline. Amerie recommends Pryce, who Korrigan has already had dealings with, following the destruction of the Tribune. The Tribune has since been relaunched, but is even more of a government mouthpiece than before. Korrigan is concerned about Pryce as a firebrand and troublemaker but Amerie vouched for him: “slightly inflammatory in tone, occasionally prurient, but essentially right-thinking; you can trust him, I think”.)
9. Get in touch with Aulus Atticus and see if a closer contact and cooperation can be established. At this stage Korrigan is interested not only in having a contact in Crisillyir, but also about making potential moves towards reforming the clergy. (Atticus is now in Vendricce. His response indicates his concern about reports of sorcery from Alais Primos, and unit’s affiliation with renegade godhand Vitus Sigismund. Korrigan offers to meet with Atticus if time allows.)
10. Travel to Ber and speak with Sor Daeron. …

Other unit members have given themselves slightly less onerous schedules, although the theme of ‘endings’ and ‘farewells’ is not uncommon:

Uru bequeaths his garden and the land above to the four gardeners who tend it. He explores his growing bond with the city, hunts for kobolds on Korrigan’s orders, sets new traps in his garden (utilizing the cursed rust monster eggs), and finds a young, unrecognised artist who had died before his time, and whose spirit still lingers on the Hill, and commissions him: Inspired by clergy murals throughout Crypta Hereticum, Uru wants to decorate the central chamber of his garden with friezes depicting his greatest achievements: Defeating the fey ‘titan’ Lady Clatterspin to become Lord of the Creeping Fey; single-handedly felling Borne (with the eschatologists bomb); sneaking into the River King’s Court; punishing those who betrayed him; wooing Beshela.

Gupta helps Korrigan with his burgeoning mind powers, and writes thoughtful letters to many of her contacts, including Melissa Amerie and Helandra. She finds it difficult to avoid a valedictory tone but does not want to sound melodramatic. This takes several drafts.

Rumdoom has no need for a last will and testament, as he knows he can’t die. He gives orders to his cult, both in Flint and in Trekhom, issues funds to construct interlinked teleportation circles between the two sites, and receives a report from Khaled Valchek on previous orders: Scouting out Axis Island has proved to be virtually impossible. Danoran patrols are frequent and aggressive. Rumdoom tries to divine and contact Hildegaard, but to no avail. He and Uru also spend time on their pet project – developing an Icy End of the World Grenade. When asked what he hopes the outcome of this project will be, Rumdoom responds simply, “Mayhem”.

Matunaaga trains Quratulain in the use of and manufacture of firearms. She proves to be a fast learner. When dealing with ammunition, the matter of vendetta bullets arises. Quratulain is fascinated by the concept. Matunaaga says she should ask Uru about them, as he has eschewed their use. “How can you come to know an enemy you hate?” he says, adding, “It is my goal to shape myself into a Living Weapon. A weapon is a tool. It doesn’t crave revenge or have strong desires. It aims where it is pointed in the service of its wielder.”

Quratulain trains with Matunaaga, eager to update her methods for exacting revenge. She visits the mansion of the Mayor of the Nettle, submits herself to Isaac’s machine, and receives a clean bill of mental health – along with confirmation that Quratulain is not an automaton at all, but a fusion of flesh and steel. She is introduced to ‘Alden Wondermaker’ (in his dapper gentleman form) and he – fascinated by her ‘exquisite chassis’ – offers to work with her to augment it. Quratulain is then rigorously questioned by Delft, Korrigan and Jonsa Weigh – a tall, middle-aged investigator from Slate who Price-Hill had sent in his stead. (Jonsa proves to be rigorous and thorough.) They ask about her background, her reasons for joining the RHC, and her willingness to swear an oath to the nation of Risur and the King. Quratulain passes this final test, despite or perhaps because of her candour. (In answer to the question, “why do you agree to follow Marshal Korrigan’s orders?” she says, “In the first place I did so in order to escape the vault. Now I do so to take revenge on Nicodemus”. Besides, Quratulain thinks to herself, Korrigan seems like a sweetie, and I don’t think it will be too hard to do what he asks.) The RHC stores are opened up to her, and she chooses the Cloak of the Genteel Butcher, the Mankilling Machete, a brace of magical pistols, a Drakren long rifle, and the Nock Gun. (The Quartermaster’s eyes widen as she picks up this massive, seven-barrelled weapon; a serious gunsmith would consider it to be a bit of an inside joke.) She has the machete built in to her left arm, and stores the rest of her weapons (including the Nock Gun!) in the cloak. All the better to carve a path to Nicodemus!

Last edited:

gideonpepys

#metoo

I always love Uru's flair.

Yes, he has a certain knack for colourful window-dressing. And a weird predilection for the clergy. He sided with them in the stand-off with the weretigers and was pretty disappointed when Korrigan solved the issue without violence. He doesn't like eladrin at all, it turns out.

And Quratulain is my kind of woman.

Mine too. Her keyword (or descriptor in Cypher System) is 'relentless'. While all of the characters are by now extremely capable, the unit always needs to have one dedicated damage-dealer. Way back when it was El Perro. Since then (after a brief period when the position was empty) it has been Matunaaga. But now (as you will see from the next post) Matunaaga is leaving the seat vacant. Hence, Quratulain:

The RHC head honchos know her background now, but the rest of the players don't, but for the purposes of this thread, I thought I might share it now, rather than deliver it piecemeal over time:

She hails from the region of Lanjyr east of Saha. At the height of the clergy Empire, well over five-hundred years ago, that land was conquered, much as the Middle East was during the crusades. Quratulain's father was an inventor of clockwork machines far in advance of their time. He was bullied by the clergy into building new weapons with which to defeat the eladrin. Unhappy with his progress (as he deliberately dragged his feet), the clergy accused him of heresy and when he refused to cooperate further, threatened to execute him.

A second motive lay behind this mock trial. The leader of the hierarchs who now governed the land had become smitten with Quratulain - "bewitched by your beautiful blue eyes; so piercing against your olive skin" - and promised to free her father if she submitted to his lascivious designs. Her horrified father learned of this, and forbade her from doing so, as he could not live with himself if she did. Quratulain obeyed her father and he was burned alive.

Unbeknown to the clergy, the real genius behind these incredible inventions was Quratulain herself, who hid her talents from a patriarchal society. Full of anger against the heirarchs who killed her father, she travelled to Crisillyir with an incredible new machine: a clockwork, counting automaton that was so mathematically adept it could deduce extraordinary facts and even predict the future. (In fact these abilities were all Quratulain's, and the machine a mere toy.) She used the machine as a 'fairground attraction' at first, before its fame (or notoriety) brought it to the attention of the same hierarchs who had persecuted her father - engineering the circumstances to suit her scheme. Once in their public presence, with her own face disguised by a porcelain mask, she had the machine reveal each of their darkest secrets (corruption, murder, and worse) and caused an enormous scandal.

But the priests weren't to be fooled twice: They arrested Quratulain, broke her automaton, tried her for witchcraft and, on finding her guilty, threw her into a freezing river in winter time - in a perverse joke, based on the meaning of her name, and in revenge against the eyes which had bewitched their leader. This might have been the death of her, had she not already programmed the automaton to rebuild itself and come and find her. It did so, and pulled her out of the ice and snow where she had come to rest. Almost dead, horribly frostbitten, she used parts of it to rebuild her broken body, then gradually augmented herself to become a fearsome war machine - still wearing her porcelain mask to hide her blackened, disfigured face. One by one she tracked down and killed the hierarchs, before the clergy succeeded in capturing her and placed her in stasis in the Crypta Hereticum - unable or unwilling to destroy her, hoping one day to control the technology themselves.

It was in this condition that Nicodemus and Kasvarina found her and the rest, as they say, is even more complicated history. (Ashima-Shimtu's choice to bury her in ice was another cruel joke she had to suffer.) Now the hierarchs are all long dead, and she has transfered all her vengeful ire to Nicodemus. (But she's not terribly keen on men in general, so the mankilling machete is perfect for her. At another player's suggestion, it does bonus damage against males when she's wielding it.)

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 44, Part Two - Farewell to Matunaaga

Korrigan and Gupta were in Ber. The rest of the unit was putting the finishing touches to their plans to infiltrate Methia. Out of the blue, Matunaaga received an urgent message, a communication not in words, but concepts, in the fashion of his people:

Layered aura of all three elders. Request for aid with 'sanction' attached. Level is urgent: respond at once; return home. Attached to primary directive is ‘addendum’: not a footnote, but set aside from the note of sanction and the request for aid: The aura, or essence of 'Korrigan', coupled with a desire to impart information to that person.

Matunaaga contacted Korrigan who was already on his way back. He arrived as the unit was coming together to finalise their mission. Kasvarina was there, for the first time in several days. She was as poised and graceful as ever, at first glance but there was a fraught energy behind her eyes, and a tension in her voice. She wanted to know what Korrigan had learned from Sor Daeron (and seemed slightly put out that he had chosen to go without her). Given the urgency of the new situation, Korrigan asked Kasvarina if she could wait until he got back.

Korrigan told her how they had found Sor Daeron living, just as Melissa Amerie had said, under an assumed name, protected by divinations, surrounded by other elderly eladrin men who seemed to have no idea who he really was. At first he feigned senility, but eventually admitted that he remembered more than he was letting on. Fear of Kasvarina’s vengeance caused him to hide, and made him reluctant to talk. Eventually, they persuaded him to do so, and he told them that he and Latika had learned that Kasvarina was responsible for the Great Malice. How had they learned this? A man, who refused to identify himself, told them so. He had been in Methia when it happened, witnessed it, and had lost his life as a result. “This man wore another’s body and was continually wreathed by Leaf of Nicodemus.” Divinations showed he was telling the truth. This ‘smoking man’ not only revealed Kasvarina’s involvement, but provided the vengeful eladrin with the precise means to exact their revenge. The plan to abduct Launga had been entirely his. (Now, in his dotage, Sor Daeron confessed to real regret at using Launga to punish her mother; his shame at having done so eclipsed any sense of self-pity in his sorry exile. Korrigan told him that the man who brought them this information and used them to harm Kasvarina was responsible for the Great Malice too – in fact even more so. He told him his name was Nicodemus, that he was still very much alive, and that he had been manipulating Kasvarina all along. Sor stood up and walked away at this point, tired or overwhelmed. These last details were omitted in his account to Kasvarina.) When she learned of Nicodemus’ involvement Kasvarina simply nodded as if this were something she had suspected all along, or maybe her emotions had simply run dry.

“What I don’t understand,” said Korrigan, “is why Nicodemus would seek to betray you.”

“Neither do I,” said Kasvarina. “Maybe one day we’ll get the chance to ask him.

Again, she and Leon remained behind with Uriel, while the others set off, using a teleportation scroll to travel to the Hidden Valley. (Korrigan and Gupta were already in the company of ritual-trained junior officer, Yev Sabsent, who had brought them back from Ber.) They were well aware of the dangers of doing so, and made certain to close their eyes: The gith’s teleportation circle sat in a bone cage in a pit full of basilisks. One by one the unit was raised telekinetically out of the cage to safety. They were greeted by three gith warriors.

“Why have these others come?” said one. “You were told to bring Korrigan.” Matunaaga shrugged in response, because the answer was so obvious. “They must wait here,” said a second gith.

The third, a senior gith named Trinoar, then said:

“The integrity of our sanctuary has been compromised. Outsiders have found us and entered with a purpose. A day ago, two caji intercepted a creature we later determined to be a fey construct. One was killed and the other retreated to call for aid. Others came and the creature was destroyed, but several were injured in the process. Yesterday, another fey construct came, and then another. The first controlled the minds of the the caji who met it and sent them on ahead. One shrugged off this influence but - reluctant to slay her own brother - was in turn slain. That brother was laid low by an elder and remained unconscious until today. The elder destroyed the construct but gave her all in so doing.

“A second construct made greater headway, until it reached the innermost valley. Your phalanx destroyed it.

“Today, three more constructs tried our defences. Many were slain. Two constructs were stopped, but the last penetrated. It came to your house, where your wife and children lay. There it was met by your father who has been gone for many weeks. Many blame Chenu for this incursion and for inviting outsiders to share our sanctuary. But now Chenu is dead and the last construct with him. His final act was to pass his thoughtstone on to you. Caji Dobre, you are now the apex of your clave and must take your father's place here, or leave in exile.”

Without pause, the first gith then added:

“Etrui awoke today. He was able to report on the geas that afflicted him while under the construct's influence: the creatures hunt for your son, Korrigan, and have come here to take him away. It has been decided that you must remove him and leave at once. Outsiders will no longer be tolerated.

“What is your decision Caji Dobre? Will you enter and defend your people, or leave forever?”

Matunaaga asked if the others could come with him to help repel any further incursions, but his request was denied. Only Korrigan would be permitted within the valley. They set off without further ado, knowing there was little point in arguing with a gith.

The Hidden Valley was a beautiful place at every time of year, but particularly splendid in the autumn. Matunaaga’s home lay close to the Long Lake that stretched all the way out, through secret caves, to the Marrajado de Oro. It was a sloping, three-tiered structure built of wood and stone, designed to complement the surrounding landscape, as all gith buildings were. So the atrocious damage done to the lowest tier felt like an insult to the land itself, as did the hulking lump of foul deformity that lay where Chenu had felled it, like a amputated canker: a giant fungal construct of roughly humanoid shape, though hunched beneath a rock-hard, bone-white carapace, with two man-sized obsidian-sharp claws for forearms. It’s ‘head’ lay close by, having been lopped off by Chenu: a lump of translucent ooze.

The two men were greeted by their children, and by Ayesha, Matunaaga’s sturdy, stalwart wife. She had placed a ring of rusted iron filings around their house now, and held a strange, twisted wooden rod in her hand. She told Matunaaga how his eldest, Noi, had rushed forward to defend their home, and now lay injured upstairs. The children spoke of his bravery in hushed but excitable terms, aware that if it wasn’t for their timely arrival of their grandfather, Noi would now be dead.

Once they had greeted the children, Ayesha took them inside to pay their respects to Chenu.

Korrigan had spent three years in the valley, and yet the only gith he came to know besides Matunaaga was his father, Chenu. The others – even those maustin caji who regretted the lapse of their oath to the kings of Risur – kept an austere distance. But Chenu gradually overcame his hostility they forged a friendship. Now the old gith was dead, and the olive branch and welcome he extended withered along with him. It was clear that the gith would now close in upon themselves and withdraw from the world entirely.

“The elders fear what is coming,” said Ayesha. “You’ve seen their temples.” Temples carved with strange beings that closely resembled gidim and their thoughtforms. The giths’ apprehension echoed the horror deep ones who also feared the gidim: the gith had been their slaves; the aboleth their prey. “Divinations say that the skies will open,” said Ayesha. “This is why the gith have hidden all along.”

She handed Chenu’s thoughtstone to Matunaaga. At once he felt the urgency all around him, and was able to sense the thoughts of others in the valley. No sooner had he donned it, an alarm was raised. More constructs, this time close by. They had come along the bed of the lake and risen up along the water’s edge. Four of them this time. There was no time to mourn. Korrigan payed only the briefest of respects to his dead friend, then took his terrified son in his arms and ran.

Matunaaga ran alongside him. Ayesha would protect their children. The gith would not spare any other warriors to defend outsiders from harm, but would allow ‘Caji Dobre’ to do this last service to his human commander. As they ran, Matunaaga reached into his tunic and drew out the Golden Icon of Nem. “Take this,” he said. No explanation was necessary: of all the items Matunaaga had picked up on their adventures, this was the only one that directly pertained to the machinations of the Ob.

They moved swiftly, hoping to outrun the lumbering constructs, but soon learned that their way was blocked. Against orders, Matunaaga’s phalanx – the five caji he had trained to use firearms – had moved to intercept one construct, so they headed that way, where they would have support.

But when they came to the narrow gorge where the phalanx had met the monster, they were fired upon from above – among the rocks and trees, four members of the phalanx had taken up positions there, dominated by the construct as Etrui and his sister had been.

Matunaaga leapt to take out Tosin as she reloaded. Korrigan protected Kai from further shots. The construct itself stomped into view. Matunaaga called to Korrigan to flee and draw the construct after him. Reluctantly, no longer in command, Korrigan obeyed, and use his canary in a coalmine pendant to fly above the battlefield and pause to allow the monster to sense their flight. It did not, but stomped onwards to where Matunaaga was now fighting three of his students, having already knocked Tosin unconscious. Korrigan watched as Matunaaga proved himself their master, flowing past their several blows with ease and gradually felling each one of them. Again, Matunaaga told him to flee. Word had come that the other constructs had changed direction and were now heading towards them. Matunaaga crouched and took aim at the construct…

With a heavy heart, and a crying child in his arms, Korrigan ran, keeping one hand on his defender sword. When he left the borders of the valley – relayed down the impassable cliffs by the telekensis of other gith – Matunaaga was exhausted but still alive.

Trinoar bid them leave at once. As Yev prepared the necessary ritual, Korrigan tried his best to console Kai. The poor little boy had lived for three years with a family of nine other children; Ayesha was a mother to him, and the person he wanted to be with, having witnessed the horrors of the last day. How would he explain to his son that he might never see Ayesha or his brothers and sisters again?

The portal to Flint opened, and they stepped through. The defender longsword was out of range, and there was no further news of Matunaaga.

End of Era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnh1waFPeY

Remove ads