Question about Burning Hands

Asmo

First Post
"Spells with an instantaneous duration don't normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash."

I wonder what "normally" means in this context, hair, maybe?

Asmo

"Spells with an instantaneous duration don't normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash."

I wonder what "normally" means in this context, hair, maybe?

Asmo

I think a good example is Fireball - or at least I thought it was.

The difference I think is in the word "flammable" vs "combustible". Wood is flammable, but I wouldn't call it highly combustible, same with a human being.

Besides, setting people on fire would be quite fitting as it is a "flamethrower" like effect, and otherwise rather weak. But it should probably have been explicitly stated.

SteelDraco

First Post
I would take that "normally" to mean "unless the spell mentions setting creatures on fire, it doesn't." It's not a normal feature of all fire spells, just a specific subset of them.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Burning hands would, if it set people on fire, be far more useful than it should be. Already it's a first-level area-of-effect leveled-damage save-for-half spell, the only one in core rules (I think). It'll almost certainly force a concentration check for a caster if done as a readied action, and it can hit invisible creatures. Our fire cleric is still getting good use out of it at fifth level.

As for when it can set things on fire, I'd take that as DM judgment call with player participation, but in general it'd only be highly flammable unattended objects. The scroll in your enemy's hand? Can't set it on fire (she stuffs it in her sleeve just in time or whatever). The evil tome in front of the evil cleric? Sure, light it up.

I'd allow some cool cinematics. If for some reason a character wanted to use burning hands to dramatically light the torches held by a group of people, then sure--go for it.

Remove ads