Pathfinder 1E Crafting items

Paul Krynicki

First Post
Can someone give me some examples of items with spell triggers and spell activations? im trying to research master craftsmen feat before i decide to take it and im slightly confused.

Keldin

First Post
Can someone give me some examples of items with spell triggers and spell activations?

Wands are spell trigger items. Basically, it's any item where the only requirement is that the spell is on your spell list, even if you can't cast spells yet.

Spell activation is not actually a term that's applied to using magic items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Using-Items). There's spell completion (scrolls) and use-activated, though.

im trying to research master craftsmen feat before i decide to take it and im slightly confused.

I would say that what this (sentence in the description of Master Craftsman) refers to is magic items that simulate the activation of spells.

For example, take the Eyes of Doom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/eyes-of-doom). These are wondrous items, so would normally be something a Master Craftsman would create. However, all they really do is activate a set of spells (Doom, Deathwatch, and Fear) either continuously or on command. So, given the text of Master Craftsman, I wouldn't allow it.

On the other hand, the Goggles of Elvenkind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-of-elvenkind) grant low-light vision and a bonus on Spellcraft checks. They still use spells (Beast Shape II and Guidance) as part of the creation requirements, but the item is not simply an expression of the spell effect.

Paul Krynicki

First Post
Thank you for replying but what about a flaming weapon wouldnt that be considered a spell activation item since you need a command word to turn the flame on and off? Also what about firey burst wouldnt that be considered a spell trigger item since it requires the critical condition to pop the ability of the burst?

Keldin

First Post
Thank you for replying but what about a flaming weapon wouldnt that be considered a spell activation item since you need a command word to turn the flame on and off? Also what about firey burst wouldnt that be considered a spell trigger item since it requires the critical condition to pop the ability of the burst?

"Spell trigger" has a very specific definition, it's not just '<something> triggers the spell'. To quote from the link I posted above "spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Spell trigger items can be used by anyone whose class can cast the corresponding spell."

Frankly, I'm not sure why they even include that phrase in the description of Master Craftsman. Wands and staves are pretty much the only spell trigger items, and Master Craftsman doesn't give you the ability to use staves as anything but weapons - you can't use Craft Wand or Craft Staff.

The long and the short of it - if Flaming (or Flaming Burst) were spell trigger items, pure fighters would not be able to use them. They have no spell lists to draw from. Since they can use them, they aren't spell trigger items. Based on the descriptions, Flaming is a Command Word activated item, and Flaming Burst is Use Activated (since it activates even if Flaming is NOT active).

Paul Krynicki

First Post
Thank you so very much for replying so fast i actually didnt think i wouldnt get a reply for a while. thank you for your input and easing my mind.:):)

Mr.E_Danger

First Post
I play a pretty crafty Hedge Witch, so I too am always interested in a thread about crafting. Good information being shared. Thanks Keldin.

Paul Krynicki

First Post
Just so everyone knows i was informed that master craftsmen is a feat that opens you up to choose the craft feats master craftsmen by it self does not allow you to create magic items. i just found this out so just informing you all if you didnt know either.

Keldin

First Post
master craftsmen is a feat that opens you up to choose the craft feats master craftsmen by it self does not allow you to create magic items.

Yes, that's true. The text in the description is "Ranks in your chosen skill count as your caster level for the purposes of qualifying for the Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item feats." That means you still have to select either or both of those feats. It also does not open you to the other crafting feats (like Scribe Scroll, Brew Potion, Craft Wand, etc).

Remove ads