Witch Class

spanglemaker

First Post
I just found this thread, and taken a cursory look through. Witch NPC and PC Classes are ones I usually like. One thing I would suggest for the excellent Witch PDF. Swap the Familiar for Witchcraft Tradition round. The Witch should get a familiar, before choosing their Tradition. If you notice that most 5th Edition classes gain their Tradition/Archetype option at 3rd Level. The Wizard is an exception, gaining theirs at 2nd Level. Folklore witches tend to have a connection with 3, so maybe they gain their Tradition at 3rd Level. I know that I am going to spend some time properly exploring this thread.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
For anyone still watching this thread, I've made a few minor changes to the PDF. Added a spell, clarified some rules and changed the artwork a bit.

-Brian

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
If you notice that most 5th Edition classes gain their Tradition/Archetype option at 3rd Level. The Wizard is an exception, gaining theirs at 2nd Level. Folklore witches tend to have a connection with 3, so maybe they gain their Tradition at 3rd Level. I know that I am going to spend some time properly exploring this thread.

Spanglemaker, I don't know if you have had the chance to read the whole thread yet, but I actually would like to do as you propose, i.e. switch the selection of tradition to 3rd level. The problem is that I don't know an easy way to handle tradition spells, which should be received starting at 1st level. This is why (I think) clerics also choose their domain at 1st level. (I thought about all witches having a common "extra" list of known spells until 3rd level, but it really saps the flavor.) If you can think of an elegant way to deal with this problem, I'm eager to hear.

-Brian

spanglemaker

First Post
Brian, I still have not had the chance to look through the pdf properly, but I would have thought that the Tradition Spells would be only available once you gain the Tradition option. J, ust taken another glimpse at your pdf. OK at level 3 taking the Tradition, you could modify it so that at Level 3- you gain 1st Level Spells known, added to your spells known. Level 5 (2nd), Level 7 (3rd), Level 9 (3rd), Level 11 (4th), Level 13 (5th and 6th), Level 15 (7th), Level 17 (8th) Level 19 (9th).

NB- Level 13 (sufficiently spooky and possibly appropriate that the witch would get the power boost of 5th and 6th).

My suggestion may need refining and modification. But I will hopefully have a look myself properly, once I finish work.

Oliver

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Given that every spellcasting class in 5e has its own spell list, it makes perfect sense to me that a Witch PC class would have the same. Given that, the player is free to flavor this as the Witch "getting their feet wet" with the variety of traditions before selecting one in which to focus/specialize. Players with a clear image of what they want their witch to be like/the "type" of witch they are going for (fate-weaver/fortune teller, enchanter, conjurer/fiend dealer, nature healer, etc...) the player is free to simply select 1st and 2nd level spells off the Witch Spell List that are in line with that flavor, and then the added bonuses/benefits coming in at 3rd with their "formal" tradition choice/initiation.

It's exactly how the wizard & druid class is composed. Which makes, to me, the most sense for the witches to be in line with. Clerics select a domain at 1st because 1) they need to have a deity as part of their core identity/character options and 2) they are receiving bonus (not necessarily "Cleric") spells in line with that deity/domain choice. Sorcerer's select a Bloodline at 1st because that is the core/root of their magical powers. Makes sense that /has/ to be determined/should be part of the character's identity from 1st.

For Witches, as the brilliant descriptions/flavor has been created of this class of gathering, learning, piecing together with passed down lore and "practical" magic ability, the tradition choice at 3rd level makes complete flavor sense and is in line, to my view/thinking, with the construction/structure of 5e classes, perfectly.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Brian, I just got back to this thread and see that you've updated the .pdf as of 1/16/2015.The presentation has blown me away. It is simply beautiful.Re: Level for starting a Tradition. I would leave it as is (a 1st-level feature) for the very reason you provide in the introductory paragraphs -because it is a tradition, often handed down from generation to generation, a witch is going to begin his or her formal training with a mentor from a particular tradition. If we consider the ability to cast cantrips to be a "0" level indication of an individual's innate facility to channel magical energies, which brings the PC to the attention of one or more mentors, then learning spells from the chosen mentor's own known spells, beginning at 1st level, makes sense.

peterka99

First Post
You still have a non standard spell progression.

2 levels for spell level 1 standard
2 for spell level 2 standard
1 for level 3 odd
2 for level 4 standard
2 for level 5 standard
3 for level 6 odd
1 for level 7 odd
3 for level 8 odd
4 for level 9 odd

Usually, there is no great feature when the player gets a new spell level.

And Cauldron features are definitely not a major class feature for a player, since it is too much DM dependant on how much the scenario will take place in your lair (see dwellings thread on this forum).

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Quick note: In the version dated January 17, 2015, the "Class Features" on page 2 still list "Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your Constitution modifier per cleric level after 1st."

(boldface added to indicate questionable word choice)

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
Ouch. Thanks for catching that. I'm going to wait a few more days to update the PDF since I've got some with-like monsters and other content to also add.

Remove ads