Social status in Suel Imperium?

Shin Okada

Explorer
I have just started a new campaign which involves the remnant Suel Imperium. They are the descendants of Suloise whom escaped into the Plane of Shadow just before the cataclysm (now they are turned into Shades and Dark Creatures).

I am wondering how non-mages, especially clerics and other divine spellcasters should be treated within them.

AFAIK Suel Imperium was both magocratic and aristocratic. Noble houses were led by powerful mages. Though I am not sure if it means that all the noble men and women were mages. Also, I am not sure if there were non-noble mages.

It seems that Suel Arcanamachs were, though they can cast some amount of arcane spells, not nobles. So I guess they were not considered to be "mages" in regard to social ranks.

Another question is the social status of Clerics and Druids. Various sources, such as Gray Wiki, mention about suloise clerics. But I am not sure if they were amongst nobility, or considered to be commoners, or considered to be independent social caste.

Do anybody know some books or resources which can give me answers to those questions?

grodog

Hero
I have just started a new campaign which involves the remnant Suel Imperium. They are the descendants of Suloise whom escaped into the Plane of Shadow just before the cataclysm (now they are turned into Shades and Dark Creatures).

Sounds like fun! The Plane of Shadow has a long history in Greyhawk.

I am wondering how non-mages, especially clerics and other divine spellcasters should be treated within them.

AFAIK Suel Imperium was both magocratic and aristocratic. Noble houses were led by powerful mages. Though I am not sure if it means that all the noble men and women were mages. Also, I am not sure if there were non-noble mages.

It seems that Suel Arcanamachs were, though they can cast some amount of arcane spells, not nobles. So I guess they were not considered to be "mages" in regard to social ranks.

There's not a lot of info on pre-Twin Cataclysms Suel culture, so you've got a pretty free hand in designing the culture anyway you'd like it to be. You'll find some useful context, though probably not a lot of explicit guidance, in the "Gods of the Suel Pantheon" series from Dragon Magazine (if you have the archive, they're in issues #86-92 but not 91), as well as in the late 2e Greyhawk book _The Scarlet Brotherhood_.

You could also dig around on Canonfire! to see what other fan-made materials might interest you: www.canonfire.com

Another question is the social status of Clerics and Druids. Various sources, such as Gray Wiki, mention about suloise clerics. But I am not sure if they were amongst nobility, or considered to be commoners, or considered to be independent social caste.

"All of the above" is my response to your Q :D

Allan.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases