Armada vs X-Wing, which is better?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed X-Wing. I really, really, really want to try Armada. Nobody to play it with. :(

Crothian

First Post
They really play a bit more differently then one might expect. X-wing is a game of dog fighting in space so precision movement is very important. Armada is about large ship combat so the movement of the big ships and even the squads does not need to be as precise. X-wing is usually last man standing wins with tournaments having timed events. In Armada there are only six rounds and there is an objective each team is trying to achieve. Armada is a bit more complex as there are better defense options for each big ship and they have shields that have facing so shields can be out in front but perfectly strong in the back of the ship.

I prefer X-wing, but the games are very different and it's almost a false comparison.

X-wing is a fast-paced tactical dogfighting game between fighters (some freighters may apply). The players can change plans from round to round, and knowing ranges, dials, and being able to estimate without pre-measuring are crucial to success. X-wing is fast to pick up and while new upgrades add a great deal of variety they don't slow down play.

Armada is a slower, more strategic fleet engagement game focused on capital ships (with fighters present, but clearly not the focus). Planning ahead is more crucial while precise placement is not as pre-measuring is allowed. I've found Armada harder to pick up (perhaps because I started with X-wing) and a bit more complicated in play. Games take longer.

I think they appeal to different needs and niches, but share common Star Wars flavor and great miniatures, plus some common game concepts.

fjw70

Adventurer
I read an article that said Armada is a refinement of the X-wing system. Doesn't sound like they are all that similar.

Crothian

First Post
I read an article that said Armada is a refinement of the X-wing system. Doesn't sound like they are all that similar.

I'd say that article was written by someone who had not played Armada and was just presenting their own assumption.

fjw70

Adventurer
Thank for the info. Armada looks very nice but I probably won't pick it up. I don't get around to playing board/mini games much. However, I did see Armada in the store today and that Victory SD looked amazing. I am tempted to get one of those just for display purposes.

Remove ads