Fantasy World Sports?

Firebeetle

Explorer
Tonight's Superbowl has me thinking. I'm a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma (as you can tell from my long black hair and parchment colored skin, NOT). Apparently, my ancestors were completely obsessed with ikstaboli which could best be described as Florentine Lacrosse, players had a stick with a leather loop to catch and throw the ball in each hand.
These games were well organized between settlements, and someone actually carried a bushel of sticks that counted down the days until the next game.
In D&D we often default to Medieval style tournaments, but I have to wonder if a fantasy setting filled with a diversity of cultures deserves more.

Some ideas:
Young mages play a game called "werelight" in which they tag each other with a ball of light that causes the "it" to glow until he or she successfully tags someone else by throwing it.

Elves play a sport that moves a ball through the heavy boughs of a forest never being allowed to touch the ground.

Dwarves seem a natural for some sort of rugby/American football style game

Young men play "Squad" which is like touch capture the flag, each holding a "coup stick" that takes you out of the game for the play if you are hit.

Halflings play a version of dodgeball in rounded depressions in the ground with holes in the sides to make shots at. Each goal gives them points, and the balls roll threw a tunnel system and back out into the field making a very fast moving game.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Glorantha's Uz/Trolls play a game called Trollball (and sometimes tell captured adventurers they can earn freedom by beating the clan team) which is quite American Football like.

Remove ads