Masterbook EZ Debuts On The Lighter Side of Gaming

Over the last few years, Brett Bernstein at Precis Intermedia has been slowly bringing back some of the legacy of West End Games back to life. When the West End Games implosion happened a few years ago, Bernstein was one of the publishers who picked up the pieces by purchasing the rights to the Masterbook and Shatterzone games. Shatterzone was the other science fiction game that West End Games published, a darker and grittier original setting inspired more by the pessimism of Cyberpunk science fiction and movies like Alien than the more optimistic and pulpier Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

Over the last few years, Brett Bernstein at Precis Intermedia has been slowly bringing back some of the legacy of West End Games back to life. When the West End Games implosion happened a few years ago, Bernstein was one of the publishers who picked up the pieces by purchasing the rights to the Masterbook and Shatterzone games. Shatterzone was the other science fiction game that West End Games published, a darker and grittier original setting inspired more by the pessimism of Cyberpunk science fiction and movies like Alien than the more optimistic and pulpier Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

Masterbook
was a more generic game system, with a core set of rules and then “world books” that would flesh out individual settings, most of which were licensed. While the original setting called Bloodshadows was created for the Masterbook rules, there were also licensed settings for Indiana Jones, Necroscope, the Tank Girl movie and the Species movie among others.

Both Masterbook and Shatterzone share a common ancestry in another West End Games game: TORG.

Now, Precis Intermedia has pushed forward on Masterbook (after re-releasing the core Masterbook rules, and the Masterbook Companion) with Masterbook EZ. The Masterbook EZ rules are billed as a combination simplification of the rules, and a test bed for a possible future revision of the Masterbook rules.

Masterbook EZ is 12 pages and a character sheet. For some, that is probably not going to be much of a game, but for my purposes that is more than enough. What you get in those 12 pages are: character creation rules – including attributes, skills and gimmicks – and task resolution rules. The task resolution is simple: take the character’s relevant attribute, add the relevant skill and add the roll of 2d10. If you beat a target number (called difficulty number), or an opposed roll, you win. There are nearly 50 skills in the Masterbook EZ rules, and about 20 each positive and negative gimmicks. More than enough to make up a group of characters and have them each have their own defined niche within the game.

Attributes and skills are all point buy, with a pool of points that let you make characters that are roughly equivalent to non-powered, street-level heroes (imagine characters like The Green Arrow or The Punisher) that are just starting out on their vigilante careers. I think, with the addition of some cyberwear from Precis Intermedia’s recent reprint of the gear supplements for Shatterzone, you could run a good cyberpunk game with these rules.

I do have a few quibbles with the rules. I don’t like the name of “Life Points.” Their purpose is a combination of fate points and experience, so I think that something like that would be better. It took me a couple of looks at the rules (it has been a long while since I’ve played the Masterbook rules) to realize that these weren’t the character’s hit points, so I think that a different name would help with that.

The bonus chart is still confusing, and it doesn’t really add much to these rules. In Masterbook EX, the only place that the bonus chart is explicitly mentioned is for determining initiative (unless I missed something in the game). It adds an extra step that could easily enough be taken out of the process. I’ve never really been sure why the rules needed the bonus chart, you could just keep the dice exploding on rolls of tens and not need to have a chart that adds another modifier to the roll. The exploding dice should be modifier enough. Note: The publisher did explain that the bonus chart is used in all of the rolls. I don't think that it was very well explained in this file. I still hold that it doesn't add a level of unnecessary complication that isn't needed.

But even with this, the game is still easy and fast to play, on par with West End Games’ more popular D6 System or the Savage Worlds rules (which also owe a debt to the various games that were published by West End Games). I would like to see Precis Intermedia do some “genre packs” for the Masterbook EZ rules. The cyberpunk and street level heroes that I mentioned earlier could be good starting points. Fantasy and Science Fiction “packs” could expand the appeal of these rules too.

How would I do these packs? I can see them as another 10-20 pages, maybe for a couple of dollars, that expand the available gimmicks, list some genre appropriate equipment and maybe even an adventure seed or two. Bundle it with Masterbook EZ and sell for a dollar or two. These could make good pick up and play games for those who have an empty night with their group, and it could easily expand into a campaign for those who like lighter games. Maybe, eventually, put the Masterbook EZ rules and a compilation of these “genre packs” into a digest-sized book. I know that they would have a purchase from me.
I know that not everyone likes playing on the lighter side of the gaming spectrum like I do. However, if you do, this is a good, robust game that you might not have known about otherwise. The nice thing, for those who like more system to their systems, it would be easy enough to plug material from the full Masterbook rules back into the EZ ones and give yourself more crunch.

Hopefully, eventually, Precis Intermedia will offer it up on the OneBookShelf sites, so that people who want to keep their virtual gaming shelves centrally located will have that opportunity. [Edit: I had it pointed out to me that I apparently missed Masterbook EZ being on DriveThru.] I also hope that this isn’t the last that we see of these rules. The Masterbook EZ rules give you a lot of gaming for a low overhead, and I hope that the publisher takes advantage of this in much the same way that they do with they GenreDiverson games. Head over to the Precis Intermedia site and check this game out today.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
I remember this from when it was new but it never made much of an impact on me. I was mostly in it for Star Wars but fell in love with Paranoia. Most of the other stuff just seemed...eh. Though I remember also being intrigued by Alternity. I guess that would be WEG's other OTHER Sci-Fi RPG?

What I really miss is the quarterly Star Wars Adventure Journal. Great content in a great format.

barasawa

Explorer
West End Games published several science fiction RPGs.
These include Star Wars, Shatter Zone, Paranoia, Torg, and Men in Black. There may be others, but I'm not sure.
Of these, Only Star Wars and Shatter Zone are regularly in space or on other planets, though that does occasionally happen with any of the others I've listed.
The only one of those I haven't played is MiB.
I really like the Shatter Zone setting, though I do have one small complaint.
The Masterbook system it uses is based off the Torg system, but the characters seem rather wimpy in comparison.
(Less Luke Skywalker - Lightsaber Wielding Hero of the Rebellion, and more Roger Wilco - Space Janitor with a plunger.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back in the day I tried to get in to Masterbook and Shatterzone but recall having issues with its numeric ranges/absolutes (I forget specifics, alas). I also was annoyed with card-based systems. Today I think I'd be more open to exploring this system again, though...and I always loved the setting of Shatterzone.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
As an old TORG/Masterbook GM and player, there's one thing about the system that is unclear from your review (and I suspect given how you speak about it that you aren't doing by the book): Raw die rolls are never used in these systems. Instead, the process for resolving a task is always:

* Roll the dice, exploding on 10s and 20s (TORG) or 10s (Masterbook/Shatterzone). Get the final die total.
* Read the die total on the Bonus Chart to get your actual Bonus Value
* Add the Bonus Value to your Skill + Attribute to get your final total

You never add the die roll directly - you always go through the Bonus Chart. Note that for Masterbook this gives a range of -10 (if you roll a 2) to +9 (if you roll a 20) for non-exploding dice. Adding the exploding dice into the mix skews this because the high end of the tail theoretically goes off to infinity if you keep rolling 10s. But this "infinity" grows more slowly than the die totals because once you hit 20 on the die roll you only get an additional +1 bonus for each 5 over 20.

As to why we did it this way - well, it was the early 90s. We were trying all sorts of die-rolling conventions in the 90s and seeing what would happen. And we had been using a number of chart-based games for a while (see the original Marvel Superheroes RPG, Mayfair's DC RPG, all of Pacesetter's output like Chill, and TSR's experiments with Gamma World and Star Frontiers around this time for examples). This one was designed (by Greg Gorden for TORG) to be able to model exponential differences using a linear scale for a cross-genre mashup game so that you could have superheroes and elven wizards flinging around fireballs on the same team as an Indiana Jones or an American Ninja and the numbers would never be too ridiculous (in practice the superheroes never really got more powerful than the Rocketeer or Doc Savage in the game world, so the flexibility of that system never really got pushed). When they ported the system to Shatterzone they moved it to 2d10 instead of 1d20 and the bonus chart is a bit different when you use a bell curve instead of a linear distribution with it, though I think it mostly has the impact of making wild results less likely.

If I were going to try to get rid of the bonus chart, I would likely start by taking a leaf from the Feng Shui or Icons die-rolling conventions - roll 2d10 with one marked as negative and the other as positive. Subtract the negative from the positive and that's your bonus. To keep the spirit of Masterbook allow only the positive die to be exploded. (There are other ways you could do this, but I suspect this would be the easiest for keeping the published DNs as is).

(Gorden was the lead designer on Mayfair's DC Roleplaying Game and I've long suspected that a lot of the "lessons learned" from that game ended up in TORG. It and its descendant Masterbook were as far as I know the "last gasp" of chart-based games in the playing field.)

pigames.net

Explorer
Jer, I've been reworking MasterBook for some time. The one thing that has proven problematic is getting rid of the Bonus Chart. I have considered d10-d10 (as is done in Two-Fisted Tales), but then the exploding dice don't mesh properly. You'll notice the damage is much simpler in EZ. Shock is fine, but wounds are slightly more recurrent - I'm working on ways to alter that (non-lethal option: -1 wound for 3 shock, +3 toughness for non-lethal, etc.).

And yes, MasterBook EZ maintains the Bonus Chart for all rolls.

I'm also working on a second edition of the full rules. The changes are similar, but everything remains compatible with the classic edition. I need to redo the effects system.

Remove ads

Remove ads