D&D 5E What single new class would you like to see?

feartheminotaur

First Post
1. Psion - problem is to do it right, you'd need new mechanics (instead of borrowing spellcasting or pact magic).
2. Artificer - one that isn't based on magic would be cool.

I'd also like to see new sub-classes, which I actually prefer to new classes, tbh. A drunken-master monk or pacifist cleric for example.

Oh, and I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but a Warlord would be sweet too.

I'm pretty sure if we keep saying "Warlord", Morrus is going to suffer some kind of stroke.

Myself, I'd enjoy an Engineer-type class focused on non-magical gadgets, trinkets, and jury-rigging stuff on the run, like a fantasy MacGuyver.

I also love alternative spellcasters, those using new subsystems that cannot properly be replicated via sub-classes.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I suppose if an Artificer were a full class rather than a Wizard sub-class, it's sub-classes could include both an Alchemist and a non-magical Engineer.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'd go for a psionicist. Not a "sorcerer-by-another-name" psion type deal, but a psionicist with its own mechanics system. Deriving the power structure from the skill system (the way the 2e system derived from the skill system) instead of a magic system might be a good approach/start.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yeah, Morrus, but how 'bout a Warlord? ;)
'Noble' is just such a specific name, and already a Background. I know you liked the class, personally, but, well...
Sure, I agree there's plenty of room for other interpretations of the Warlord. I just don't see Morrus going from "The Noble is the En5ider version of the Warlord" and "The Noble has been one of En5ider's most popular articles" to "Sure, let's do another version of the Warlord!" without the aforementioned stroke. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, I agree there's plenty of room for other interpretations of the Warlord. I just don't see Morrus going from "The Noble is the En5ider version of the Warlord" and "The Noble has been one of En5ider's most popular articles" to "Sure, let's do another version of the Warlord!" without the aforementioned stroke. :)

Yeah. We have no creative interests in making a dozen versions of the same thing. Warlord variations are not on the table. New horizons, please!

Tony Vargas

Legend
I know. I was just teasing. ;)

Though, once you get past the name and the implied narrow concept & backgroundiness, the Noble's not a bad class, if still narrower and less flexible than the Warlord was, and does cover the oddball 'lazy' builds with the 'Heart' sub-class.

I'm just having fun typing 'Warlord' outside the discussion ghetto. ;P

New horizons, please!
Darn. Elementalists, psioncs, artificers, &c aren't that new...

Whatever it is, please, not another caster cycling through the spell list again. If it must be supernatural, something with class features or a new mechanic that doesn't just reference existing spells.

Last edited:

nswanson27

First Post
Yeah. We have no creative interests in making a dozen versions of the same thing. Warlord variations are not on the table. New horizons, please!

Or how about some form of time-traveler? Having the initiative order jump around mid-fight might be interesting.

I'd like to see a cavalier. Something different enough from the fighter that a subclass won't hack it, and that isn't just a battlemaster with a few tweaked maneuvers.

Ditto a witch that isn't just a wizard (or warlock) variant.

I'd like to see a divine servant of the supernatural somewhat akin to Pathfinder's oracle.

I'd like to see an arcane summoner, though whether this needs to be its own class or could be a wizard subclass is debatable. (It'd require new spells added to the wizard list if the latter, though.)

I'd like to see a 5E version of the 3E scout (a mobile, wilderness, non-magic skirmisher). Also one that doesn't rely on slightly tweaked battlemaster maneuvers.

Remove ads