D&D 5E What to do with a Sphere of Annihilation?

Kite474

Explorer
So an interesting thing happened last session! Due to some lucky rolls on a few tables, a few brief questions, and taking a risk in Pirate Town USA my character has come into possession of a Sphere of Annihilation.

Now there are some caveats and useful info.
1. The box we found it in contains the power of the sphere so it didn't destroy me the moment I opened the box.
2. My character is a Fighter with a INT score of 11 and no proficiency in Arcana so their is jack and **** chance of me using it.
3. There is no Wizard in the party so no chance of them using it.
4. The setting operates on REALLY high magic.

So kind and humble folks of EN World I must ask. What's a lvl 8 Hobgoblin Fighter to do?

Unwise

Adventurer
Set up a sewer and midden system for a city. All of the waste from the city just washes down a particular sewer line into a narrow section with the orb in it. All the cities waste disappears and keeps everybody free of disease and waterborne parasites. A city with a river where you can actually drink the water would be pretty great.

If chaotic or evil, offer a Mr Wolf style service for criminals, make bodies disappear.

Tell unsuspecting fools that it is a portal to a treasure, or a dimensional pocket.

Give it to your assassin in the party. When they take out a guard, they just feed it to the box, very neat and sneaky.

Does it have gravity? If so, smash the box and watch it go to hte molten core of the world and cause a volcano. Does it have momentum? Run fast, flick the box open and stop dead, watch it spill out down the corridor destroying anything.

If not, plop it out of the box floating in a doorway you don't want people coming through. When you are finished, put the box back around it and close the lid. Imagine the Pit Fiend coming out of a portal, and you just put the sphere there in front of it, first thing he knows is his torso no longer exists.

ccs

41st lv DM
Close the box, gain a few lvs, use your next ASI to increase your INT & then multi-class into wizard.

If ever there were a good reason to MC, here it is!

Kite474

Explorer
Set up a sewer and midden system for a city. All of the waste from the city just washes down a particular sewer line into a narrow section with the orb in it. All the cities waste disappears and keeps everybody free of disease and waterborne parasites. A city with a river where you can actually drink the water would be pretty great.

If chaotic or evil, offer a Mr Wolf style service for criminals, make bodies disappear.

Tell unsuspecting fools that it is a portal to a treasure, or a dimensional pocket.

Give it to your assassin in the party. When they take out a guard, they just feed it to the box, very neat and sneaky.

Does it have gravity? If so, smash the box and watch it go to hte molten core of the world and cause a volcano. Does it have momentum? Run fast, flick the box open and stop dead, watch it spill out down the corridor destroying anything.

If not, plop it out of the box floating in a doorway you don't want people coming through. When you are finished, put the box back around it and close the lid. Imagine the Pit Fiend coming out of a portal, and you just put the sphere there in front of it, first thing he knows is his torso no longer exists.

All very good ideas! For that first one though. Wont there be the problem that it takes the water along with the waste?

Kite474

Explorer
Close the box, gain a few lvs, use your next ASI to increase your INT & then multi-class into wizard.

If ever there were a good reason to MC, here it is!

That's definitely a maybe. Was planning to multiclass into something come lvl 12 as after that point Fighter does not get really anything new. Was thinking Rogue but Wizard or Arcane Cleric seems right up my ally right about now.... Now if only I can find an amulet of the sphere

ccs

41st lv DM
That's definitely a maybe. Was planning to multiclass into something come lvl 12 as after that point Fighter does not get really anything new. Was thinking Rogue but Wizard or Arcane Cleric seems right up my ally right about now.... Now if only I can find an amulet of the sphere

Could be involved in the reason you've MCd - to (eventually) make an amulet.
In fact you might become an artificer as you tinker along. Well, I haven't succeeded with that amulet yet. But look at all these other cool things I've made along the way!"

Last edited:

slightlyprime

First Post
Knowledge cleric is probs best choice for multiclassing as you can get expertise in a knowledge skill, arcana, for a 1 level dip from memory. rogue is good choice too, maybe better.
Or if not interested in using sphere a lot could decorate the box to make it a gift for someone to kill them when they remove the sphere to examine it. A present for the king, he opens box and he dies and there would be fewer witnesses as sphere might kill them too. Making it so it kills the king when he opens box miht prove challenging thouh.

Mercule

Adventurer
I vote that you see what it tastes like and report back.

Or, go with [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] suggestion of using it as an excuse to multi-class.

Remove ads