Starmap

ediz

Explorer
Hi,

In adventure 3, how powerful is the starmap. Is it a wonderous item and if so, what would it be able to do. I was thinking of giving it to my Skyseer sorcerer, I think he would have a great deal of fun with that.

What do you think?

It's a map of the stars. Sijhen uses it to figure out how stars have moved since it first arrived on this planet over two thousand years ago. The map does nothing supernatural, at least not in the context of the campaign as written. You could certainly modify it to have magical powers, though, perhaps to justify the PC taking the Applied Astronomist prestige class, or to grant some foresight boons.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Does your world have Precession of the Equinoxes (in other words, does it wobble slowly in its orbit)? If so, the old star map might be calibrated "wrong". Figuring out the difference can be a clue to locating some other (more interesting) ancient item - which is hidden somewhere aligned with the stars _as they used to appear_. So, like the first Indiana Jones movie, everybody using modern maps and calculations "they're digging in the wrong place". Both the equinoxes and the Pole Star will be affected.

The ancient star map might show a star where none is today; there has been a nova in the meanwhile. Or vice versa: today we see a star that is not marked on the map. Does this have astrological or astronomical or some magical portent?
Are the stars fixed and immutable, or do they change - based on the acts of the gods, or whatever. Maybe what we today call "the constellation Argo Navis (the great ship Argo)" used to be a fairly blank section of sky called "the Water" until somebody figured out that the legendary home of the gods was attached to an island in the midst of the ocean. The gods returned the crew to the lands of men and put their ship in the heavens so nobody else could use it to bother them again.

Having said all that, in the interests of Full Disclosure I should state that I have never seen the adventure you are referring to. But if you keep playing in the same campaign world after finishing that module, maybe you can use this to dangle plot threads. (I have a D&D4e Star Pact Warlock who I decided was an astrologer; the stuff I read so I could role-play him convincingly led me to the material above.)

Remove ads