2212: Midnight Dogs

M3woods

Explorer
Here's the description of the setting I'll be using for my groups upcoming W.O.I.N. campaign.

2212: Midnight Dogs

THEN
Midway through the 22nd Century it became clear to everyone that modern democracy within the United States of America was a failure. Electoral campaigns had turned into nasty smear attacks, fear-mongering, and bloody riots in the streets. Candidates from both sides pointed fingers of blame at the opposition yet neither party spoke out against the violence. Then, in 2176, armed forces began patrolling neighborhoods, soldiers blockaded intersections, and whole cities became police states. Finally, backed by the military, POTUS declared martial law, fulfilling his role as Commander-in-Chief.

Within months, members of both Congress and the Senate were either arrested, killed, or went missing due to attempts to stand against the Presidential power-play. The U.S. withdrew from foreign affairs, isolating itself from the rest of the world. Taxes increased, wages decreased, and soon the unemployment rate skyrocketed, leading to more relaxed corporate restrictions.

Suddenly, without strict moral and ethical regulations, Corporations were turning out innovations in a number of scientific and technological fields; the most impressive displays coming out of genetics, cybernetics, and weapons design.

Morrow Enterprises was the first to create a sentient uplifted animal, a canine designated Alpha-MK13, Mackie, for short. In no time, many corporations began developing their own strands of mutated organisms, called Mutorg, after the naming convention of calling cybernetic organisms Cyborgs.

Mutors became commonplace, but were generally regarded as non-people, used as a source of expendable slave labor.

As the 23rd Century approached, a number of threats arose to threaten the burgeoning aristocracy. Revolutionary extremists began fighting back against the tide of government and corporate forces. Both Human and Mutor factions fought for basic human rights, though much of their efforts remained ineffective. Then came Mackie.

At the turn of the century, the aged canine, long thought dead, returned from the shadows and unified the disparate factions. Thus were born the Midnight Dogs.

NOW
Condemned as an outlaw by the Aristocracy, on the run from military forces, enforcement agencies, and bounty hunters, your options are limited. But, in the shadows of corporate high society, you manage to cobble together a team. As Rogue Paladins, Cyborgs, Pstrykers, or Mutors, you and your allies might stand a chance.

Join the Resistance. Welcome to the world of the Midnight Dogs.

Last edited:

M3woods

Explorer
Mutor Attribute Bonuses
Canine (Domesticated) END +1, LOG +1, LUC +1
Canine (Wild) STR +1, END +1, INT +1, LOG +1
Feline (Domesticated) AGI +1, INT +1, WIL +1
Feline (Wild) STR +1, AGI +1, END +1, INT +1
Rodent INT +1, LOG +1, WIL +1
Ursine STR +2, END +2

Canine (Wild)

Size: Medium (Coyote, Fox, Jackal), Large (Dhole, Dingo, Wolf)

Attributes:
STR +1, END +1, INT +1, LOG +1

Skill Choice:
bravery, perception, tactics, [unarmed fighting], running, tracking, carousing

Feral.
You gain a bite attack; your natural damage increases by +1d6 and becomes piercing damage.

Fleet of foot.
In an outdoor environment you gain a +2 bonus to your SPEED.

Warlike. Wild Canines gain one bonus [combat] skill.

Darksight. Wild Canines can see in the dark to a distance of 10' per point of INT.

M3woods

Explorer
New Mutor Universal Exploits

Overt Stance. Due to a recessive gene, you failed to develop a full stance, retaining the digitigrade traits of an animal. You gain +2 to SPEED but suffer a 1d6 penalty to disguise checks.

Overt Hands. Due to a recessive gene your hands didn't fully develop. Though more developed than paws (you have an opposable thumb), your hands lack the finer manipulation abilities of full hands. You gain claws (1d6 slashing damage) but suffer a 1d6 penalty to [technical] skills.

Overt Features. A recessive gene inhibited the standard Mutor features. You retain a noticeable animalistic resemblance: protracted muzzle, ears atop the head, and thick body fur. You are able to instill fear when it suits the situation. You gain +1d6 to Intimidation checks. Though, your bestial appearance causes -1d6 to other social-based checks on non-Mutors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If they're universal exploits, they can be taken at any time. Given their nature, it might be worth a note indicating they can only be taken at character creation?

Alternatively - maybe those would work well as attribute traits? Low AGI for the first two and low CHA for the last, perhaps? I definitely think there is design space for race-specific attribute traits.

M3woods

Explorer
If they're universal exploits, they can be taken at any time. Given their nature, it might be worth a note indicating they can only be taken at character creation?

Alternatively - maybe those would work well as attribute traits? Low AGI for the first two and low CHA for the last, perhaps? I definitely think there is design space for race-specific attribute traits.
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] Yes, I think you're right about race-specific attribute traits. Now, to figure out appropriate adjectives. Maybe rudimental for overt hands, stick with digitigrade for stance, and bestial or animalistic for features?

M3woods

Explorer
I changed the overt stuff from Exploits to Racial Traits, which adds it to character descriptors. So, a low-AGI domestic dog could choose Rudimental as a trait. The Descriptor might read Dixie is a rudimental Collie Urban Scrapper who loves muscle cars. She'd have overt hands but gain claws for an additional 1d6 damage.

A low-CHA wild feline could take Animalistic: Marco is an animalistic Lynx Bounty Hunter who reads classic crime fiction. He looks like a lynx in many ways but he gains a +1d6 to Intimidation checks.

M3woods

Explorer
Corporate Intern
You were accepted into the lower ranks of a large corporation. An Internship covers a varied range of specializations to prepare you for your life as an executive within the cutthroat world of corporate politics.

Attributes: INT +1, LOG +1, CHA +1, REP +1

Skills: law, linguistics, [subterfuge], [social], computers

Credentials. Your position with the corporation grants you certain benefits. Gain +2 bonus to Social skills when negotiating passage through restricted areas of the city.

Privileged. You gain two sets of exceptional quality clothing and 1,000 bonus credits.

Unshakeable Resolve. You have a driven sense of determination and an unbreakable force of will. You gain +5 to your MENTAL DEFENSE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads