Judgement calls vs "railroading"

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No it's that he presents a playstyle he doesn't choose to enjoy in an almost universally negative light while presenting his chosen style in a purely positive light... for comparison and discussion purposes at least that is a disingenuous. Now if we are debating or proselytizing our playstyles I guess it would be fine... but [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] keeps claiming that's not what he's here for.
Well, I think a touch of advocacy (or proselytizing) factors into it. I mean, personally, the reason I've tried games like FATE and Fiasco and Burning Wheel, and I learned to love 4e is because of [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s explanations of those play styles way back during the release of 4e.

I mean, let's face it, D&D is still the touchstone of RPGs, and DM-driven exploration of a DM-created backstory(or sandbox) is still the default way to play D&D. Your playstyle (and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] et al) hardly needs any advocacy! We all know how to play that way. It's the newer, alternate methods of RPGing that need exposure and advocacy, and simply more people to explain how they work and how trying some of those methods may make your game better. (Or not, of course.)

Imaro

Legend
Well, I think a touch of advocacy (or proselytizing) factors into it. I mean, personally, the reason I've tried games like FATE and Fiasco and Burning Wheel, and I learned to love 4e is because of @pemerton's explanations of those play styles way back during the release of 4e.

A touch is fine but when you claim your style has no drawbacks and you paint another playstyle as almost universally negative... it goes beyond a touch. That tells me you aren't even interested in gleaning something from or trying to understand the other playstyle (which probably isn't a good thing if you want those who enjoy it to give yours a fair shake) only extol the virtues of your own.

I mean, let's face it, D&D is still the touchstone of RPGs, and DM-driven exploration of a DM-created backstory(or sandbox) is still the default way to play D&D. Your playstyle (and @Maxperson, @Lanefan et al) hardly needs any advocacy! We all know how to play that way. It's the newer, alternate methods of RPGing that need exposure and advocacy, and simply more people to explain how they work and how trying some of those methods may make your game better. (Or not, of course.)

And yet by all accounts it shouldn't be since player driven has no drawbacks... so why is it that it still remains a niche within a niche? See to me exploring both the positive and negative inherent in that question is more interesting than you lecturing me on why your style is the greatest.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I've provided very few examples of other techniques.

But the one about the attempt to reach out to the court, and failing for reasons of secret backstory, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] embraced.

The one about the attempt to separate the baron from his advisor being foiled by an unknown fact of kidnapping was embraced by [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION].

And the one about no Calimshani silk being available due to off-screen turmoil was embraced by both [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION]. And you gave XP to billd91's post embracing it!

How are these presenting "secret backstory" techniques in the worst way possible? And if so, why are those who like to use secret backstory in their games embracing them?

No, I gave XP to billd91 for his excellent question. You need to recalibrate what XP means -- it isn't full agreement with a post, it's a mark of appreciation for something in the post. I give XP to people who's arguments I don't agree with if they make an excellent argument or provide an insight I hadn't considered before. XP does not mean agreement.

But, to your first line, sure, very few, but all negative. That someone else liked that interpretation doesn't remove the fact that you provided a negative interpretation. Further, someone liking it (or, as I've read it, trying to provide an alternative reading) doesn't validate your presentation as authoritative or even normative.

In example, I like "secret backstory", which is really just DM authored fiction that the players haven't uncovered yet. But I do not use it as you suggest to negate player intent without their knowledge. If the players wish to engage a King, then relevant information is provided, through rumor or framing. If I've set up a King who's afraid of frogs, and the players are aware that there's a Royal decree for frogcatchers, and there's a large bounty on frogs in the city, and there are rumors of a mummer's troop arrested and jailed for playing 'the Princess and the Frog', then when the players show up for the masquerade ball in frog costumes, I don't feel it's too secret anymore when the King shrieks and orders their arrest. In this way, preauthored backstory that isn't based on the player actions can frame a game nicely without engaging in your boogeyman of negating player intent without their knowledge.

Similarly, snap judgement in a situation about what's present is neither secret backstory nor railroading, in and of itself. Deciding that there are no bowls in a room is just fine without a roll, so long as the DM has done so with a reason for the lack of bowls that makes sense and could be understood in the gameworld. Not based on secret backstory, but on presented and predictable information. Personally, it would be obvious to me that some kind of container would be available in a room, from decorative vases to a washing bowl to leftover dinner trays to chamber pots. The need to test to determine bits of framing seems odd to me, and I've played in player-centric games. "Is there a bowl" is a question of framing for me, not an essential test. The essential test to me would be, upon grabbing the bowl, if I can actually catch enough blood. That makes the test about the PC doing something in line with the player intent, and not about a piece of the background.

So, then, I suppose my question here at the end, is why did you pick finding a container to be the crux of the scene instead of whether or not the PC could, with a container, actually collect sufficient blood? It seems you made a DM judgement to "say yes" to catching blood once you finished testing for the presence of a bowl. Would it not have been the same, and possibly even better since it's testing PC ability, to test to catch the blood after "say(ing) yes' to the presence of a bowl?

it appears that there's multiple ways to skin this cat. The 'yes bowl, test catch' method works just fine with DM judgement and secret backstory, AND with the player-centric principles you've proposed. The 'test bowl, yes catch' seems odd, in that it's focusing on the presence of a bowl rather than PC action.

hawkeyefan

Legend
This is not right, though. You are ignoring framing, and assuming that everything is the consequence of checks. But there can be no checks without framing - without fiction to engage. In the sort of RPGing that I prefer, it is the GM's job to provide that framing, that is, to establish the relevant fiction.

[The GM's] job it is to keep track of the backstory, frame scenes according to dramatic needs (that is, go where the action is) and provoke thematic moments . . . by introducing complications. . . . Each scene is an interesting situation in relation to the premise of the setting or the character . . . a situation that provokes choices on the part of the character.​

Keeping track of the backstory is integral to framing scenes that introduce complications and provoke choices. As a GM, I am almost always giving thought to elements of the fiction with which the PCs are not currently engaged: these (i) are constraints on permissible new fiction (because of the demands of coherence, both ingame causal consistency and gente/thematic consistency); and (ii) are the material from which scenes are framed, from which complications are drawn, which are explicitly or implicitly at stake when choices are made.

I'm not trying to ignore anything. My sense of Framing is that this is where the GM places the PCs at the start of a game or session, correct? And the GM draws upon the established fiction of the game world, correct? But the GM does not have any secret backstory to draw from....so he is drawing everything from what has been established by the players' actions, right?

Let me ask you flat out, because there seem to be contradictory elements in your descriptions and it's certainly possible I have missed something, but does the GM ever create elements of the game entirely on his own? If you've already answered this elsewhere, then my apologies, please do me the courtesy of repeating yourself rather than referring to a post upthread.

Assassination of the king is no different, for present purposes, from the Gynarch becoming engaged to be married. It is simply not true to say that this would be introduced only as a result of PC action.

And to say that it would be introduced only in response to player choice is also to put things too narrowly: the presence in the fiction of the leader of the cabal is a response to a player choice (about PC story and mechanical elements, which have subsequently been deployed in play) but that is not true of the Gynarch.

So the GM can simply decide that an assassin is out to kill the king? Can he also establish who the assassin works for and why that person wants the king dead?

If the GM is doing this in his/her own time, and simply making notes in a folder headed "Campaign Record", then - at that point - it is not even clear what it would mean to say that it is part of the shared fiction. Who is it shared with?

Well there are two ways this could factor in. The first would be the GM deciding, when the PCs don't pursue the assassin, "okay, here's what happens as a result....I'll make a note of it in case it matters later on". The second would be the Gm deciding later on when it does in fact come into play what had happened with the king and the assassin.

Another possibility is that the fate of the king and/or the assassin doesn't emerge in the course of play, but rather is used by the GM as an element of secret backstory to adjudicate player action declarations: for instance, the PCs reach out to the court because they are concerned about something-or-other, but are rebuffed for no evident reason - at the table, the GM simply declares the attempt a failure without reference to the action resolution mechanics. The GM's reason for this - which (it being secret) the players don't know - is that the king was recently assassinated by someone from the same hometown as the PCs, and that has put all the people of that town under a cloud.

But why would the GM have the PCs' attempt to reach the court rebuffed without explaining why? You seem to attribute some need for secrecy here on the part of the GM, but I cannot see why. Perhaps such an attempt is rebuffed, but the PCs find out it's because the king was killed....and they then recall that time when they had learned that an assassin may have been after the king, but they did nothing.....

Are you able to explain this further, because at the moment I can't see it.

Every adventure path I'm familiar with violates (ii) - the gameworld, in respect of geography, past and future history, etc is pre-authored independently of any concerns/interests of the players as manifested through creation and play of their PCs. They also generally violate (iii): eg they contain advice like "If the BBEG is killed, then a lieutenant takes over the reins and continues the plot", which is a disregard of success; and they often involve softballing failure, as well, in order to keep things moving. For instance, there will be redundancies built into the storyline to ensure that the players get the clues regardless of whether their action declarations succeed or fail. These can also lead to violations of (i), if the manipulation of the fiction used to manage the unfolding of the AP requires introducing material that, while technically consistent with the established fiction, is at odds with its spirit or seeming trajectory.

Here are the three elements as you originally presented them:
(i) having regard to consistency with the fiction already established in the course of play
(ii) having regard to the concerns/interests of the players as manifested through their creation and their play of their PCs
(iii) bound by the outcomes of action resolution

I decide I am going to run the Tyranny of Dragons Adventure Path. I discuss this with my players. Each of them creates a Forgotten Realms character for the game. Each of them creates ties to the Sword Coast region. For additional investment, I look at the ideas they come up with, and I take elements from the Adventure Path, and tie them to the characters. Then we play the game and I let things play out as they would based on the performance of the PCs.

It seems that this game fits all the criteria you've cited. This is why I don't agree with your assessment that these elements are closely tied to a "Player Driven" technique so much as they are just sound ways to GM a game.

My response to this would be - have you tried it? That is to say, have you actually run a game in which, as a GM, (i) your role is to frame the PCs (and thereby) the players into situations that (a) engage their expressed concerns/dramatic needs, and thereby (b) force choices, which (ii) are then resolved via the mechanics (without recourse to secret backstory) in such a way as to produce outcomes in the fiction that are then binding on all participants, and (iii) that - if failures - conform in their content to framing constraints (a) and (b)?

Have I done solely that? No. Have I done exactly that at times? Yes.

As I said earlier in the thread, there is no reason that a GM's desires for the game cannot be in harmony with that of the players. So the presence of a "secret backstory" or metaplot does not mean that it has to be used as a cudgel to thwart PC choice and force the game in a specific direction.

It's nothing to do with the GM running amok. In every episode of play and campaign I have referenced in this thread I've been the GM, and I'm not worried that I am going to run amok!

It's about what I want to get out of RPGing. To borrow a slogan, I want to play to find out. That is inconsistent with deciding ahead of time what can and/or does happen. And I mean that in the expansive sense that darkbard has nicely explained:

In that sort of game, the GM is finding out how the players get from A to Z; while the players have the double-puzzle of (1) finding out what Z is (some GMs, and some published adventures, make this inordinately hard), and then (2) working out a viable path from A to Z. This is not the sort of thing I enjoy in RPGing.

Sure, but that slogan in this case has a very specific definition. And I don't agree with that definition. Looking just at the words "Play to find out" and thinking of them not as a slogan with a specific meaning, but rather just as a description, I absolutely play to find out.

I just replied to a post by [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] where he posited that few would regard the use of secret backstory to resolve action declarations as a positive thing, but here (as far as I can tell), you are advocating exactly that! (And hawkeyfan has XPed your post.)

I mean, that's what "indirect impact" means, isn't it? (Eg the PCs look for Calimshani silks at the market, but can't find any - no dice being rolled - because the GM knows that, "offscreen", Calimshan is in turmoil and all the silk looms have been destroyed. Or that sort of thing.)

First off, granting XP does not have to mean "I agree fully with this statement in all ways!"

Second, I don't think that [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION]'s use of the Forgotten Realms as an example of how fictional elements can indirectly affect play is the same as your "secret backstory" point. There's no reason such information must be secret.

Well, I think a touch of advocacy (or proselytizing) factors into it. I mean, personally, the reason I've tried games like FATE and Fiasco and Burning Wheel, and I learned to love 4e is because of [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s explanations of those play styles way back during the release of 4e.

I mean, let's face it, D&D is still the touchstone of RPGs, and DM-driven exploration of a DM-created backstory(or sandbox) is still the default way to play D&D. Your playstyle (and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] et al) hardly needs any advocacy! We all know how to play that way. It's the newer, alternate methods of RPGing that need exposure and advocacy, and simply more people to explain how they work and how trying some of those methods may make your game better. (Or not, of course.)

I don't know that the methods are all that new. I think games designed with mechanics in mind to enforce those methods are what's new.

And whether such mechanics or methods would make a game better or not is subjective. For people to decide if such methods would help their game or hurt it, it would also help to be able to discuss the drawbacks of those methods or mechanics, right?

pemerton

Legend
I'm not really getting the drawbacks thing.

Someone goes onto a puzzle hobbies site and posts "I really like doing crosswords!" And then some other poster says, "I prefer sudoku. What are the drawbacks of doing crosswords?"

It's a strange question. What's the answer meant to be? "Well, they invovle words, not numbers, so aren't so good if you prefer numbers to words." But presumably that's self-evident.

"It's hard to do a crossword at the same time as taking a shower." But that's true of sudoku also.

I don't really get what the question is asking. I mean, I don't regard it as a drawback of playing RPGs the way I like to that the players don't get the chance to figure out the GM's nifty plot, because that's not something I enjoy in RPGing.

EDITED to add:

Other posters like different things in their RPGing. And some posters (eg [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION], [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], etc) are posting about that, and giving examples that show how the techniques they prefer lead to RPGing that they've enjoyed.

Keept it up! And if anyone else wants to post about how their preferred technique has given them awesome gaming, then that's what the thread is for (to stay on topic, I guess with some reference to the role that GM judgement calls played in delivering the awesome).

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Somehow secret backstory has morphed into a nefarious GM device, which seems wrong given the usual information asymmetry of most RPG play.

That's not say the GM can't abuse the backstory to screw over the players. I would say that is just bad GMing.
The only posters who are suggesting that it is a "nefarious device" are the ones who are defending it!

I've never said that it's a nefarious device. I'vd just said that I don't like it. It is an element in RPGing-as-puzzle-solving - in essence, the players trying to learn what is written in the GM's notes - and I don't enjoy that as a player and enjoy it even less as a GM.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The only posters who are suggesting that it is a "nefarious device" are the ones who are defending it!

I've never said that it's a nefarious device. I'vd just said that I don't like it. It is an element in RPGing-as-puzzle-solving - in essence, the players trying to learn what is written in the GM's notes - and I don't enjoy that as a player and enjoy it even less as a GM.

Nefarious was too strong, then.

I am confused about where to delineate simple unknowns: the actual type of a creature that a player encounters; that a barmaid is planning to elope with the mayor's son in a fortnight; that a fellow player is planning to sneak behind some nobles to overhear their conversation -- from hidden story points: The nephew of the baron whom the PCs plan to rescue has been possessed by a demon.

Thx!
TomB

pemerton

Legend
you paint another playstyle as almost universally negative
You think that GM's secret backstory is an important part of GMing, right? That sometimes it's appropriate for a GM to declaring an action declaration fails by dint of some consideration in the fiction that the players weren't aware of and couldn't be expected to know.

You also don't like resoltuion systems that deliver finality in non-combat conflicts - that came out in the discussion of the advisor example.

All I've said about these matters is that I don't share your preferences. How is that painting it as "universally negative"?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm not really getting the drawbacks thing.

Someone goes onto a puzzle hobbies site and posts "I really like doing crosswords!" And then some other poster says, "I prefer sudoku. What are the drawbacks of doing crosswords?"

It's a strange question. What's the answer meant to be? "Well, they invovle words, not numbers, so aren't so good if you prefer numbers to words." But presumably that's self-evident.

"It's hard to do a crossword at the same time as taking a shower." But that's true of sudoku also.

I don't really get what the question is asking. I mean, I don't regard it as a drawback of playing RPGs the way I like to that the players don't get the chance to figure out the GM's nifty plot, because that's not something I enjoy in RPGing.

This actually clarifies a great deal. Thank you.

Remove ads