Judgement calls vs "railroading"

pemerton

Legend
No one else is suggesting it is a nefarious device. Instead, people are pointing out that you are positioning it as such. Your examples have not once shown how a secret backstory of the game can be used to enhance a game, you have only shown how it can be used to thwart player agency, which is a virtue of paramount importance to you.
I think there is some confusion over what I mean by "secret backstory".

If the GM has ideas for stuff that would be cool, or imagines things happening in other parts of the campaign world, but they never matter to play, then they are not part of the shared fiction. They are just things the GM is enjoying.

If the matter to play, this might be in two basic ways:

(1) The GM uses those cool ideas to inform the framing of a situation. That is backstory, but it's not secret: it's part of the framing.

(2) The GM uses those cool ideas as part of the fictional positioning according to which an action declaration is resolved, but does not make it an explicit part of the framing. That is what I mean by resolutin of action declaration by reference to GM's secret backstory.

Does (2) thwart player agency? Well, "player agency" isn't really a notion I've been using in the thread, and I'm not sure I want to start now. But (2) is clearly, I think, an instance of a GM-driven game. It is the GM's own conception of what is in the shared fiction that is determining the outcome.

Is (2) nefarious? I haven't said so. I don't like it, but not because I think it's nefarious. I don't like it as a player because I find it somewhat frustrating to have to puzzle out what the GM's conception of the fiction is. I like it less as a GM, because I find it both frustrating and tedious to referee players' attempts to puzlzle out what my conception of the fiction is.

Is (2) common? I think it's utterly ubiquitous.

Among those who don't object to (2) in general, are there particular instances of (2) that they would object to, while other instances of (2) that they would think are good uses of the technique? I'm sure that's so. But it's not my place to articulate their theory of their aesthetic preferences. I'll leave that to them.

You have no problem explaining the drawbacks in a GM driven approach.
The only drawback I've identified is that I don't really like it. Presumably that's not a drawback for those who do.

I've also noted some features of it: it means that the GM is not playing to find out, and it means that some of the players' efforts are focused on figuring out stuff that the GM already knows. But presumably those who like the approach don't regard those as drawbacks. Presumably those are things that make the approach appealing to them.

Tony Vargas

Legend
See I thought it was only consequences of failed checks that the DM narrated... did I misunderstand that?
Maybe I did. In the OP, the player asked if there was something he could catch blood in, the check to look for it determined if there was (success) or wasn't (failure). Sounds like either way the DM has to come up with some detail - like what the potential blood-catching vessel is, on a success.

By the same token, if a player asks "do I know of any way to counter a Ward of Uncounterability?" The DM would supply (make up on the spot?) a way on a success, rather than narrate only on a failure.

Of course, I'm used to running in a very improvisational style, so I might just be projecting some of that.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
First, given that the phrase "GM's secret backstory" has no currency in any forum I'm aware of outside my use of it, and given my use has been made abundantly clear, I think I'm at liberty to continue using it in that way.

Second, if it only comes into play as part of framing, then it's not secret, and hence is not secret backstory.
Well, you use it inconsistently, so perhaps that's the confusion. I had thought it meant 'stuff the DM made up that the players don't know' and that 'using this stuff secretly to determine the outcome of player declarations is bad' was separate. After reading this, I think that 'secret backstory' is just 'using this stuff secretly to determine the outcome of player declarations."

Which is a weird construct, but you're welcome to it. And my response to 'secret backstory' as you've framed is it that I don't use secret backstory in my DM driven games.

I presented an exampe of secret backstory being used to settle the outcome of an action declaration. That happens in RPGing. And as the responses in this thread have shown, it's not even particularly controversial.

What you describe is not an example of secret backstory being used to settle the outcome of an action declaration. It's an example of framing a challenge. But I don't think it's what [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] had in mind.

Ilbranteloth said "the intention is not to write or have material available that never comes into play. It's to have such material available in case it might come into play." In your example, who cares about haggling with merchants and smugglers? The player - in which case, it's an example of the GM "going where the action is". If that's how you run your game, then presumably it's not wildly different from how I run mine. But, again, I don't think that's what [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] meant, because when I said that I would be GMing blind without knowledge of what is motivating the players in their action declarations for their PCs (which is what one needs to know to "go where the action is"), Ilbranteloth didn't indixcate the same need.

If it's the GM deciding that it would be fun to have an episode of haggling with merchants and smugglers, then it's an example of what I would call GM-driven play (because, in introducing the fiction by way of framing, the GM is not having regard to the concerns/interests of the players as expressed through the build and play of their PCs).
Again, I'm glad we've decided that 'secret backstory' means 'using secret stuff secretly to determine the outcome of player declarations.' Much back and forth would have been avoided had you said this, and I'm sure that many posters that have responded to you may change their responses given the newly clarified definition.

A few things in response.

(1) The Forge's slogan for the sort of play that I have called "player-driven", that Eero Tuovinen calls "the standard narrativistic model", and that is set out in the introductory pages of BW that I quoted upthread, is story now.
I really do not care what the Forge calls things.

Ie it is not about "a good, well integrated story" in the future. It is about story now. Hence the injunction to the GM to "go where the action is". Hence the need, in each framing and each narration of a failed check, to have regard to the dramatic needs of the PC as established by the player through build and play.

Without having a full-fledged theory of dramatic composition, I think it's likely that a series of episode of story now, taken as a whole, will also probably exhibit "a good, well-integrated story". But that's a secondary concern.
My response was specifically generated by your holding out the on-the-spot generated 'foreshadowing' of the stealing of the mace by the Elf in the Elf poisoning the water-hole. That was you trying to show how your method can generate the same outcome as a more DM driven foreshadowed reveal. My entire point is that such 'story now' elements only create a good, well-integrated story because they're viewed through the lens of survivor bias -- the things that happened that ended up mattering are all that are considered; the things that ended up not mattering, but happened, are forgotten about.

In short, your idea of a good, well-integrated story is more akin to the anthropic principle: the things that happen had to happen for the story that emerged, therefore it was a good, well-intergrated story. This ignores all the things that happened that didn't matter to the story.

(2) Suppose the wastrel elf never figured again, because his dramatic work - testing the reaction of the elven ronin sworn always to keep the elven ways - had been done. How would that be inconsistent with anything? Or even atypical - all episodic fiction has it's one-off characters who figure prominently at some point but then fade into the background thereafter.

The good naga who helped the PCs in the Bright Desert may never figure in the game again. It was still fun at the time. And sowed the seeds for the dark naga, which has appeared in only one session but - due to its influence over the shaman PC - continues to be a significant presence in the the fiction of the game.
This cuts directly against your assertion that the Elf ended up as good foreshadowing, though, and goes, again, to survivor bias. Since the Elf ended up mattering, he's been remembered. Had a player not reintroduced the Elf as an important plot point later in the game, thereby authoring the backstory, then the Elf wouldn't have mattered and couldn't have been foreshadowing. If your best example of how your style exhibits foreshadowing can be dismissed so easily, then I challenge that it actually does this in the first place.

(3) Why would participants in a GM-driven game keep better notes, and have better memories, than participants in the sort of game that I run? Given that, as I posted, one constraint on authorship is consistency with the established fiction, why would you assume that I discard it rather than retain it? You assert that it is "overwritten", but have no actual evidence for that.
Why would you ask me? Did I say that? I've looked back, and it appears your authoring of that backstory is inconsistent with established events.

That said, I strongly doubt that you or your players review the playlogs for consistency when establishing new backstory. I'm uninterested in going through your curated logs for evidence, though, and am fully comfortable resting on the assumption that, at some point, you've all forgotten something that happened before because it was a one-off and have authored something that contravenes it.

And, to forestall the sputtering, I've done that in my more DM driven games. Assuming people forget stuff and countermand in by accident over multiple years of gaming isn't an attempted insult -- it's unavoidable.

(And what I said that I don't have to look up from 4 years ago is character goals. Because those infuse every moment of play. I mean, you know I have notes from 6 years ago that I can look up if I need to, because I posted about that in a reply to you.)
Ah, then I misread that, I recalled it as more open that just character goals. I've never forgotten character goals, either, because, as you say, the players really don't let you.
And now you're just making stuff up. The "realilty" you describe here has no life outside your own imagination.

If you want to see how my game actually works, follow some of the links that I've provided in this thread.
No, you've, once again, misunderstood a point. This was a continuation of things that integrate into a story. You just said that you have one-off characters, that do something in the moment and then move on, and that some are more lingering than others. So, you've just agreed with the point I just made -- some things get thrown at the story wall to see if they stick, some do, some don't. The Elf stuck. The Dark Naga stuck. The Good Naga is slithering towards the ground. I'm sure there's things you've forgotten happened that are further towards the ground than the Good Naga. This isn't an insult, it's an objective appraisal of how cooperative storytelling works: not everything is a hit.

And that point tied back into my wider point about survivor bias, which again seems relevant. If you can't even admit that not everything sticks around as part of the well-integrated story, then you've obviously unwilling to examine those things that were done and moved on and had little real impact on the players or story.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't know that the methods are all that new. I think games designed with mechanics in mind to enforce those methods are what's new.
I agree. (Although new is relative, since it probably dates back a little over a decade. )

And whether such mechanics or methods would make a game better or not is subjective. For people to decide if such methods would help their game or hurt it, it would also help to be able to discuss the drawbacks of those methods or mechanics, right?
Absolutely. I just imagine it would be the role of the people who like and use such mechanics to explain their positive aspects, and the role of players who don't enjoy such mechanics to explain their negative aspects (or drawbacks, to use the term du jour).

TwoSix

Maybe I did. In the OP, the player asked if there was something he could catch blood in, the check to look for it determined if there was (success) or wasn't (failure). Sounds like either way the DM has to come up with some detail - like what the potential blood-catching vessel is, on a success.

By the same token, if a player asks "do I know of any way to counter a Ward of Uncounterability?" The DM would supply (make up on the spot?) a way on a success, rather than narrate only on a failure.

Of course, I'm used to running in a very improvisational style, so I might just be projecting some of that.
The player could always have more input by simply farming his question differently, as well. For example, rather than ask "Is there something to catch the blood in?", the player could say "Well, we're in the sorcerer's bedchamber, is his chamber pot somewhere close by?" One of the benefits of giving the players flexibility to do that kind of narration is that you give yourself, as a DM, a little break from having to improvise everything.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What the players are doing here is trying to solve the mystery posed by the GM: I have something written in my notes - a bit of fiction that explains why the court rebuffed you. And now the players are doing stuff, and having their PCs do stuff, to try and learn that fiction. As I posted upthread in reply to [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], it's puzzle-solving.

I'm not interested in it.
::shrug:: Problem solving and mystery unravelling are and always have been a large - and fun - part of playing RPGs.

Your loss, I suppose.

The players in the scenario just described aren't playing to find out in the salient sense. Here's the relevant passage from the DungeonWorld rulebook, p 161 (note that it's addressed to GMs):

Your agenda makes up the things you aim to do at all times while GMing a game of Dungeon World:

• Portray a fantastic world
• Fill the characters’ lives with adventure
• Play to find out what happens

Everything you say and do at the table (and away from the table, too) exists to accomplish these three goals and no others. Things that aren’t on this list aren’t your goals. You’re not trying to beat the players or test their ability to solve complex traps. You’re not here to give the players a chance to explore your finely crafted setting. You’re not trying to kill the players (though monsters might be). You’re most certainly not here to tell everyone a planned-out story.​
Gads, even professional designers/writers can't get PLAYER and CHARACTER straight. Monsters kill characters. DMs don't kill players (no matter how tempting it may be sometimes).

That said, this looks like a deliberate attempt to remove any hint of adversarial relationship between the players and the DM; which to me is a huge mistake - just about the whole premise of the traditional RPG* is the DM (gameworld) throws challenges out there and the players (characters) deal with them; and sometimes the players (characters) throw challenges at each other. The DM exists to be both an impartial referee and a more or less fair enemy...and note this means the DM often finds herself working against what might otherwise be seen as her own interests when the impartial referee side has to trump the provide-an-enemy side.

* - as opposed to co-operative storytelling or DM-less games, which are a different breed of animal

The game world is a dangerous place because the DM has made it so.

Your first agenda is to portray a fantastic world. . . Show the players the wonders of the world they’re in and encourage them to react to it.
This is good advice, though I'd change "react to it" to "interact with it" to allow for player (character) proactivity in these interactions.

Filling the characters’ lives with adventure means working with the players to create a world that’s engaging and dynamic. . . .
Most DMs can fill their characters' lives with adventure and create a world that's engaging and dynamic without having to get the players to do their heavy lifting.

Dungeon World adventures never presume player actions. A Dungeon World adventure portrays a setting in motion—someplace significant with creatures big and small pursuing their own goals. As the players come into conflict with that setting and its denizens, action is inevitable. You’ll honestly portray the repercussions of that action.
Except for the first seven words, this is all great stuff.

This is how you play to find out what happens. You’re sharing in the fun of finding out how the characters react to and change the world you’re portraying. You’re all participants in a great adventure that’s unfolding. So really, don’t plan too hard. The rules of the game will fight you.
Well, I'll fight back - and win - in order to ensure my game will still have enough in the tank to last a few years more regardless of what might happen right now.

Whereas in the scenarios that you (Lanefan) and Maxperson describe, the GM already knows what has happened. S/he hasn't worked with the players to create the world, but has authored this bit of it unilaterally. And s/he hasn't portrayed that bit of the world, either. S/he's kept it secret.
Of course she has, safe in the knowledge that much of the enjoyment lies in the exploration of and learning about this fantastic engaging dynamic world she's built. The portrayal comes out in the learning process.

Seems simple enough to me.

Lan-"playing the game establishes new gameworld facts, that either change or sit on top of facts already there"-efan

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Ilbranteloth said "the intention is not to write or have material available that never comes into play. It's to have such material available in case it might come into play." In your example, who cares about haggling with merchants and smugglers? The player - in which case, it's an example of the GM "going where the action is". If that's how you run your game, then presumably it's not wildly different from how I run mine. But, again, I don't think that's what [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] meant, because when I said that I would be GMing blind without knowledge of what is motivating the players in their action declarations for their PCs (which is what one needs to know to "go where the action is"), Ilbranteloth didn't indixcate the same need.

I disagree in the bolded text. In order to go where the action is, you need to know what the PC's action is. Not the PCs motivation.

If the PC attempts to haggle for some Calishite silks, I (the DM) don't need to know that he wants to purchase them for his mother. To play the NPC haggling, I need to know what the NPC's motivation is. That gives me some ideas as to how likely they are to haggle, and by how much. Of course, I can get by without the NPC's motivation as well, by just using skill checks and rules to do so. But I'd rather know more, in case things go in a different direction. The NPC could go from being an incidental player to a more important part of the campaign. Regardless, the player can take care of their own motivation.

Motivation is the why. Why is the character doing this? In order for me to react to the player, though, all they need to tell me is what they are doing, and possibly how. I don't need to know the why.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the DM shouldn't know the PC's motivation. Just that they don't have to. As we've already discussed, through a combination of a shared backstory and the actions and statements throughout the game, the DM will learn quite a bit about the character. And both the player's and character's motivations and such are something the DM can leverage to great effect, and I recommend it highly. But it's not a requirement to run a game. Even a good game.
[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] was giving an example of secret world backstory: that the problems in Calimshan are affecting the prices of silk. Until the DM divulges this information, it is a secret. In his example, the PCs overhear merchants talking. But it's just as possible that they try to purchase silk, and can't. Whether the merchant tells them why they can't purchase silk or not doesn't matter. Sure, the PCs might be curious, and continue to investigate. Or they might not care at all. Whether the DM knows that silk is in short supply and why before the session or not doesn't really matter either.

A much larger example is my use of the published APs in my campaign. Three of them are currently in progress in the campaign. Even though it's published material, being that they are active adventures that they could potentially intersect with the PCs, and they might opt to involve themselves in those APs to one degree or another, I'd prefer that they don't read the adventures. There is other material, such as the Savage Frontier guide in SKT that I have no problem with them reading at this time. After the events pass, I don't care if they read them either. There are all sorts of secrets in those three adventures.

Those secrets might have a material impact on the campaign. Obvious the BW/DW group might feel differently, but D&D players would probably universally agree that it's bad form for a player to read an adventure that they will, or might, play in as a character. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a published BW/DW adventure.

TwoSix

No, you've, once again, misunderstood a point. This was a continuation of things that integrate into a story. You just said that you have one-off characters, that do something in the moment and then move on, and that some are more lingering than others. So, you've just agreed with the point I just made -- some things get thrown at the story wall to see if they stick, some do, some don't. The Elf stuck. The Dark Naga stuck. The Good Naga is slithering towards the ground. I'm sure there's things you've forgotten happened that are further towards the ground than the Good Naga. This isn't an insult, it's an objective appraisal of how cooperative storytelling works: not everything is a hit.

And that point tied back into my wider point about survivor bias, which again seems relevant. If you can't even admit that not everything sticks around as part of the well-integrated story, then you've obviously unwilling to examine those things that were done and moved on and had little real impact on the players or story.
That seems me to be less a property of a particular gaming style, rather, that's just the natural outcome of any improvisational, episodic narrative. Having random characters and plot arcs drop in and out of TV shows is a regular occurrence, for example, due to cast changes, poor reception by the audience, etc.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've provided very few examples of other techniques.

But the one about the attempt to reach out to the court, and failing for reasons of secret backstory, [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] embraced.

The one about the attempt to separate the baron from his advisor being foiled by an unknown fact of kidnapping was embraced by [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION].

And the one about no Calimshani silk being available due to off-screen turmoil was embraced by both [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION]. And you gave XP to billd91's post embracing it!

How are these presenting "secret backstory" techniques in the worst way possible? And if so, why are those who like to use secret backstory in their games embracing them?
What I still don't (and maybe never will) understand is why, when you present them, you usually present them in the light of being the wrong way to run a game...where in fact they're perfectly valid examples of how to run a quite reasonable and enjoyable game.

Lan-"is there a hidden backstory to your preferred playstyle?"-efan

Ilbranteloth

Explorer

That sounds about right to me. i prefer to have multiple options in terms of mechanics and processes. Usually the player would ask, " is there something I could catch the blood in?" But if they are in a temple, and the player knows something about temples, and asks for a specific item, that's fine too. If I don't think the item is there, I might say no, but there is something else you could use.

I think in most games there is a mix of prepared and improvised material from the DM. Some games lean heavily toward one or the other. I think they are both valid approaches and among the most useful tools the DM has. To me the art is keeping things going so there is no break in the story on the DM's side. It should be the same from the player's perspective regardless. And I have to admit that's really tough to do from time-to-time.

In my case, having prepared material is invaluable for those days when you sit down at the gaming table and you aren't on the top of your game for whatever reason. I can quickly access a lot of information quickly, whether it be NPCs, rumors, etc. I can still modify things on the fly as needed. If it's a good day, then things just flow without having to rely on too much prepared material, although I'm still aware of what is there so I can remain consistent with the lore of the area/NPCs, etc. I keep a lot of notes during the session too.

Remove ads