D&D 5E Mike Mearls on Settings

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I don't remember any other campaign worlds where there were specific bloodlines for PCs that came with supernatural gifts.

All the Dragonmarked houses in Eberron have their own magical birthmarks. Though it did come out later, so it could have been inspired by birthright.

For me, there is one compelling difference between Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. It is this: Greyhawk has kingdoms. The Forgotten Realms doesn't.

While a strict reading of the whole Realms doesn't support that, when you consider the area that most Forgotten Realms stories occur in, Cormyr is at the south-east corner of that area. It's the only kingdom. Elsewhere? City states - Dalelands, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate.

Greyhawk, meanwhile, is a place where nationality can really matter. The map is *filled* with nations, with only a handful of city-states. (Of course, the world is named after one of them!)

This opens it up to a different style of campaign than that of the Forgotten Realms. Of course, that campaign is different to the "explore the dungeon" of classic D&D, and that seen in most of the published adventures.

Cheers!

That's an interesting point to bring up - although, as you said, it isn't strictly true, as once you get out of the more "featured" areas of the Forgotten Realms (to the east and to the south), kingdoms and other large-scale states are actually more the rule than the exception. But it is quite true that Cormyr is the only real traditional kingdom in more heavily-covered northwestern quadrant of Faerun (other than relatively new-fangled Elturgard, which SCAG implies might not be long for this world), with city-states predominant otherwise - and that is a noticeable and fairly striking difference.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For me, there is one compelling difference between Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. It is this: Greyhawk has kingdoms. The Forgotten Realms doesn't.
(SNIPPED CONTENT)

This opens it up to a different style of campaign than that of the Forgotten Realms. Of course, that campaign is different to the "explore the dungeon" of classic D&D, and that seen in most of the published adventures.

Cheers!

It's a great point, one I've thought about before - and in any worlds where the "civilized races" aren't dominant in an area, it's a situation that ought to hold true more often, in fact. How could one hold a territory in an area where a 1000-year old dragon or an orc horde could just sweep through at any year, or the gods just fall out of the sky or a 100-year spellplague just breaks one day? The best you could hope for would be controlling a city and a few hundred acres around it. :)

It's also funny that it would seem, much maligned though it was, a "Greyhawk Wars" type situation would be the more natural consequence of Oerth's nation-states than all the dungeon-crawling that is associated with it. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It's also funny that it would seem, much maligned though it was, a "Greyhawk Wars" type situation would be the more natural consequence of Oerth's nation-states than all the dungeon-crawling that is associated with it. :)

The main problems I had with the Greyhawk Wars were twofold:
* It wasn't implemented well, and
* I hate the name.

But I'm not against the idea of wars in Greyhawk...

Cheers!

Aldarc

Legend
Thanks! I didn't care for Eberron, so I wasn't familiar with that addition to it.
It's one of my favorite parts of the setting. Little magical gifts in bloodlines that provided accumulating economical advantages coalescing into pseudo-noble merchant families that have cornered the market. It's brilliant!

Irennan

Explorer
I agree here completely. I enjoyed the Drizzt novels as a kid but haven't read any in the past two decades, but from what I remember in the earlier ones, Drizzt did have a lot of difficulty getting accepted everywhere he went and was seen as a bogeyman. Even Alustriel wouldn't let him into Silverymoon. I am not sure when things changed exactly on that score (and am guessing it had something to do with the introduction of Eilistraee), but in fact I am just about to start up my first Realms campaign in almost as long (a run through of Storm King's Thunder, though probably set back in the earlier Realms timeline), and that is exactly what I am going for. My one player that was new to the game suggested a drow after flipping through the PHB totally unaware of their baggage, and I was frankly very surprised to hear that they were even listed in the PHB as a potential player race in the first place. I explained they were bad guys in my game if he didn't want to be chased out of every town and be constantly under attack and suspicion and he wisely went with a green/wood elf instead.

I doubt that the change of attitude towards drow in-world was due from the introduction of Eilistraee. from the FR Wiki (which takes this info from Demihuma Deities):

The faithful of Eilistraee, however, are little known and poorly understood by inhabitants of both the Realms Above and the Underdark. Her worshippers are figures of myth and superstition and targets of prejudice and wild mistruths. Some surface dwellers believe that they are the disguised vanguard of the Spider Goddess's plan to take over the surface, while those drow who follow Lolth or other evil deities suspect them of being surface elf spies and saboteurs posing as drow as a prelude to invasion. Most non-elves can not comprehend the existence a good drow deity, while surface elves are uncomfortable considering it, finding Eilistraee a threat to their doctrine that the dark elves are wholly to blame for the Crown Wars and other ancient tragedies.

They managed to build friendly relationships in some regions of Faerun, but they weren't liked or accepted from the get go. Only recently (as of 5e) things are improving for them. For example, whereas in the 1370s they met hostility when trying to settle in Ravens Bluff, in the 1490s Eilistraee is getting a temple within Waterdeep, after she appeared dancing outside its walls(and even then that's only happening because of the support of the Harpers. Most nobles aren't pleased with that).

Last edited:

Remove ads