WotBS WOTBS Reloaded: Still a Thing?

Arcaneshield

Explorer
So... the website still lists this pathfinder conversion as coming out in 2014. Three years later... can't find it anywhere via google. I'm not super active on these forums so forgive me but is this ever going to happen or like most kickstarters is this another broken promise?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It got replaced with ZEITGEIST years ago. There was an announcement and quite a lot of discussion at the time.

Arcaneshield

Explorer
So there's no desire to convert what is arguably the greatest high fantasy, 1-20/30 adventure I've ever read to pathfinder? Dang. I'm a bit strung out on steampunk and weirdness, I really liked WotBS for 4e. Now that I play pathfinder I'd have liked to play that.

Lylandra

Adventurer
It is a bit sad that WotBS for Pathfinder never saw the light of day, but... for me, the 3.5e version works just fine as a basis for my PF campaign even if converting the NPC and DCs takes a bit of work.

Now what I'd be really interested in is Ryan's next PF campaign/AP should that ever happen ;) *still crossing her fingers*

Tormyr

Adventurer
It is a bit sad that WotBS for Pathfinder never saw the light of day, but... for me, the 3.5e version works just fine as a basis for my PF campaign even if converting the NPC and DCs takes a bit of work.

Now what I'd be really interested in is Ryan's next PF campaign/AP should that ever happen ;) *still crossing her fingers*

As someone who came to playing D&D during the D&D Next play test, I had thought Pathfinder was a super set of 3.5. What conversion has to be done from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

It's mostly compatible, except for tweaking some spells and giving every enemy a CMD and CMB.

If you wanted to go whole hog you'd need to either convert or tweak all the things that don't have precise PF versions. Monks of the Two Winds could become some sort of sorcerer/cleric archetype, or just remain feats.

It's not a hard conversion. You just need to squint a bit and fudge some of the stuff that doesn't quite work the same. Like, enemies should get more feats, but you can just ignore those, or maybe give them toughness or whatever if you want fights to last longer.

Most of the changes in PF apply on the player side of things. A lot of DM operations can still work 'under the hood' without being converted. Who cares whether the inquisitor is countering your spell because he has an archetype that gives him a unique subdomain, or whether it's a variant version of Turn Undead? All that matters to the PCs is that the inquisitor rolls a d20, adds some bonuses, and if he gets high enough the PC's spell is kaput.

But seriously, CMB and CMD need to be converted.

Lylandra

Adventurer
It's mostly compatible, except for tweaking some spells and giving every enemy a CMD and CMB.

This is the easiest way, really. Both values are quickly calculated. If your players are no avid rules lawyers, you can always adjust stuff on the fly or call for a specific/unique effect. (I remember spending hours to determine how to make a person immune to fire without using high level spells and then resorted to claim that "this polymorph version gives you the stats of a wyrmling red dragon. Yes, all the stats.")

If you want to invest a bit more work, you could consider that PF player classes (especially those of newer sources) tend to be slightly more powerful than they were 3.5e. Many classes got more HP and physical classes got more options in order to be more viable/balanced. So you might want to increase the AC of some NPC opponents a bit and add their HD in bonus HP (PF favored class feature).

Also, ignore the "you can only increase NPC attitude by two steps max" rule. Otherwise some diplomacy encounters don't really make sense when you call for that final roll. (i.e. making a creature friendly after starting from hostile)

Last edited:

it wasn't exactly replaced, they lost everyone who would've converted WotbS to Pathfinder. Still pisses me off, it was the only reason I bought into their Kickstarter. The "free" stuff they gave us after was stuff I already had.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases