D&D 5E Group Rule Deal-Breakers

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Let's say you're looking to join a group and read their list of rules and requirements, like house rules, what races are allowed, what world is being used, stat creation, or even session time or length, or requirements of what you have to bring, restrictions, or maybe you meet them and they say something you don't like, or act in a way that you don't like, whatever it may be that turns you away. What things are deal-breakers for you that make you go, "Nope," and walk away?

Wulffolk

Explorer
For me it boils down to real life social concerns. Do I think there is the potential to become friends with the others in the group. Do they seem like the type of people that I can have a mature and reasoned discussion with when we disagree. Do they have reasonable personal hygiene. Is the game hosted in an environment that I am comfortable in. Do I believe that I can have fun hanging out with these people for X number of hours every week or two.

Iry

Hero
Too many rules -- This is a big red flag for me, since it often means that the DM has some control issues that will probably lead to an unpleasant experience.

Unnecessary rules -- I read each rule and ask myself "Is this adding fun to the game?". Sometimes it does. Sometimes it's a maybe, trading one kind of fun for another. But often the rule is some niggling weirdness done in the name of balance that amounts to nothing.

Poor Hygiene -- Just generally take a shower and make some moderate effort to be clean and not smell bad.

In general, it's pretty normal to find eccentric people in this hobby. So, everyone should be patient with a little weirdness. But too much weirdness means I will politely bow out after the game is over.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Game Specific - House rules that make the game unrecognizable

People specific - Loud people, people talking over each other, people not focused on the game, players who have their characters threaten or attack other PCs (unless there's mitigating circumstances like the character being charmed).

GameOgre

Adventurer
There was one guy on roll20 who was like obsessed with getting females to play with us. Like he went out of his way to keep more and more females playing and while females playing is fine it kinda struck me the wrong way and seemed kinda creepy.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
There was one guy on roll20 who was like obsessed with getting females to play with us. Like he went out of his way to keep more and more females playing and while females playing is fine it kinda struck me the wrong way and seemed kinda creepy.

Funnily enough I've been thinking about asking my group if they want to add a fifth player and if we should insist on a woman as I really need a girlf... OMG! Now I see the problem.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
[sblock] FearOfGirls.jpg[/sblock]

Li Shenron

Legend
Let's say you're looking to join a group and read their list of rules and requirements, like house rules, what races are allowed, what world is being used, stat creation, or even session time or length, or requirements of what you have to bring, restrictions, or maybe you meet them and they say something you don't like, or act in a way that you don't like, whatever it may be that turns you away. What things are deal-breakers for you that make you go, "Nope," and walk away?

Not exactly a dealbreaker perhaps, but certainly a game with a large set of house rules is often an indication of an egomaniac DM, unless the house rules are the result of a very-long-running game spanning many years which is of course fine.

Li Shenron

Legend
It's true, I am a bit of a narcissist.

It's not that bad... part of the system changes are related to stuff that doesn't come up often, changes to races & feats can be seen as basically setting-specific, and with regard to classes it's likely that each PC is affected only by a couple of house rules anyway.

The question is how do you manage with your players? Were these house rules added to the game gradually as your group was playing along, letting the players get used to the changes one at a time? Or did you design your set of house rules on your own, and then delivered them at once for your players to read? The latter is often disorienting, because new players won't know the reason behind your house rules, and may thus see them as pointless.

By the way, your format of presentation is really nice. Can you tell what word processor, graphical effects and fonts did you use? I wrote some fantasy setting conversion material that I would like to share on ENWorld but I would like to improve the look of it. (Feel free to PM me so that we don't get out of topic from your thread)

Remove ads