D&D 5E Hand cannon?

abe ray

Explorer
How would you fine people build a hand cannon for dnd?
What sort of magical ammo would you build for said cannon?
Mind you I’m talking about 5th edition of course.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I would probably copy the firebolt cantrip.

As an action, you can make an attack for 1d10 bludgeoning damage. Increasing to 2d10 at level 5, 3d10 at level 11, and 4d10 at level 17.

Then magical ammo would be limited additions to it.
Explosive shot would add 2d6 damage to everyone within 5'.
Acid shot would give someone 2d6 ongoing acid damage, with a Con save each turn.
Glue shot would restrain on a failed save, or slow on a successful one.
etc...

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] Sounds a lot like what they were trying to do with the latest Artificer attempt. Not a bad way to handle it. But also seems less like a traditional weapon and more like a player boon or something (only because it follows the structure of a cantrip than a traditional weapon).

mellored

Legend
[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] Sounds a lot like what they were trying to do with the latest Artificer attempt. Not a bad way to handle it. But also seems less like a traditional weapon and more like a player boon or something (only because it follows the structure of a cantrip than a traditional weapon).
I didn't think you would want it to feel like a traditional weapon.

abe ray

Explorer
True, the original non-magical hand cannon would be a exotic weapon at least!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

JonnyP71

Explorer
It would probably backfire into it's wielder's face on a roll of a 1 too! They weren't known for being too reliable.

Tormyr

Adventurer
You could also take a look at the various firearms releases and part 2 of the Zeitgeist player's guide from the EN5ider patreon.

Remove ads