D&D 5E making the Sorcerer an "Elementalist" - custom spell lists

GlassJaw

Hero
Put me in the category of someone who isn't a big fan of the Sorcerer class. I've read all the threads on possible fixes, and have my own ideas.

This thread is not an attempt to rehash that discussion.

While I want to "fix" the sorcerer, I also want to make it more of an Elementalist, primarily for campaign reasons but also to further differentiate from the wizard.

Here's the basic overview of my changes: spell points instead of slots, more known spells, more metamagic options (or allow them to swapped after a rest), UA elemental origins only (Phoenix, Sea, Stone, Storm), bonus spells and/or custom spell lists.

I'm not interested in debating these changes but I am looking for some help on the last point: bonus spells or custom spell lists.

I do think that the sorcerer needs more known spells, but because I want the sorcerer to be an elementalist, I also want the spells to be tailored to each element. Here are some possible solutions I have so far:

1. Bonus Spells. This would definitely be the simplest implementation, and is the "5E-approved" mechanic. When the sorcerer gains a new spell level, they automatically gain 2 new spells. Done.

I have 2 issues with this: 1. It gives the sorcerer multiple known spells when gaining a new spell level instead of the 1/level like the PHB (which I like), and 2. It would allow a sorcerer to choose a spell from an "opposing" element, like a Phoenix sorcerer choosing a water spell.

2. Custom Spell Lists. Instead of one spell list to rule them all, each origin has its own spell list from level 1-9. Pros: Addresses the opposing element issue and allows for highly customized lists. Also doesn't require a new system for learning spells. Cons: Page-count heavy and each spell list would have lots of shared spells.

3. Generic spells + custom elemental list. This is sort of a hybrid of the above 2 options. It requires a bit more work but it's currently what I'm leaning towards because it offers the most customization. I would start with creating a spell list that is shared by all origins. This list would primarily include defensive spells (mage armor, shield), self-buffs (enhance ability, false life), and utility spells (levitate, feather fall, darkvision). It most likely wouldn't include many attack spells. I would then create a bonus spell list for each origin. When selecting a spell, a sorcerer can select a spell from the generic list or their origin list. Aside from the work to create the lists, this seems pretty straight-forward.

I have also thought about requiring a number of spells be selected from the origin list, or adding an "ability" that allows the selection of a spell from the origin list of a specific level. This would ensure that each sorcerer feels like a practitioner of that element and also gives them an array of spells across all levels. I like this concept but it feels potentially a bit messy mechanically with regards to swapping spells as the sorcerer levels up. I guess a rule could be added that restricts which spells can be swapped but that would require tracking which spells were selected with this ability. Again, just feels messy. I could also be overthinking it.

Anyway, holy brain dump. I admit I'm kind of all over the place but that's a bit where I've been on this design. I start down one path and then switch to another. Thoughts?! Thanks!

jgsugden

Legend
I'm not debating the merits of the changes, but just asking if they are necessary. If you want your sorcerers to have this feel, I don't think you need to change any rules - just ask players to be thematic in their selections.

If I wanted to go with this approach, the changes I would make:

1.) Bonus spells: Sorcerers gain a number of spells known equal to their level plus their proficiency bonus.
2.) Customer spell lists: Minimize the challenge by eliminating extra lists. Sorcerers gain spells from two sources: The sorcerer spell list and from thematic spells. At least half of the spells a sorcerer knows must be thematic spells. A thematic spell is a spell related conceptually to the origin of the PC (Fire, Water, Earth or Air/Storm). Thematic spells are not tied to any particular spell list and are selected with the permission of the DM. For example - the DM might decide that a 7th level Storm sorcerer may be able to learn Conjure Woodland Beings - but all they could summon with it are Sea Hags. Or that Zephyr strike is good for the class as well. Similarly, one cantrip must be thematic (and can come from any class), while the rest must come from the sorcerer class.

Example, a 6th level Phoenix/fire sorcerer would know 9 spells (level 6, proficiency 3). At least 5 would need to be fire themed and the other 4 would need to come from the sorcerer spell list. The first themed spells could be from the sorcerer, cleric, druid, bard, ranger or paladin lists.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
To the Op, I think bonus spells that must be thematic, and partnering with the player to discourage choosing of opposition spells is a simpler solution.

Stalker0

Legend
Just choose the wizard spells that are thematic to the class and add them to the sorc list.

Do a review to ensure metagic doesn’t cause any big problems.

Done.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I have a rule that allows sorcerer choose any spell which fits the theme so that storm sorcerers can choose call lightning and black dragon sorcerers can choose Melf's acid arrow.

The signature of champions.

GlassJaw

Hero
Well that devolved quickly...

Thanks to those that offered constructive suggestions. While I do think the sorcerer is in need of some kind of buff (and at least more differentiation from the wizard), I appreciate the suggestions of looking at more thematic solutions as opposed to rewriting mechanics and spell lists.

Coming from a game designer/publisher background, I usually approach home-brewing with the mindset that it could be published one day so I tend to err on the side of completeness and not having contact with a potential reader/customer.

But in this case, working with a player to create a customized spell list together is no doubt easier than creating complete, customized spell lists (again, that would be a task for publishing).

Croesus

Adventurer
3. Generic spells + custom elemental list. This is sort of a hybrid of the above 2 options. It requires a bit more work but it's currently what I'm leaning towards because it offers the most customization. I would start with creating a spell list that is shared by all origins. This list would primarily include defensive spells (mage armor, shield), self-buffs (enhance ability, false life), and utility spells (levitate, feather fall, darkvision). It most likely wouldn't include many attack spells. I would then create a bonus spell list for each origin. When selecting a spell, a sorcerer can select a spell from the generic list or their origin list. Aside from the work to create the lists, this seems pretty straight-forward.

This would be my approach. Every sorcerer needs access to certain spells, especially utility and defensive spells. I suspect the number of themed spells will be relatively low, maybe 2-3 per level on average. So themed spell lists shouldn't take up too much additional space and will have minimal overlap.

BTW, my own tweak to sorcerers is similar to yours. Spell points so they feel different. More metamagic choices. The main difference is I added bonus spells based on draconic heritage rather than your themed spell lists. My group is testing it now and it's relatively balanced against the wizard, though I'm a bit concerned that spell points give them a bit too much flexibility.

Remove ads