[OT] Looking for a free MP3 Broadcast Service

Yukon Cornelius

First Post
I used to run a D&D-themed radio station on live365.com. Then they started charging people to broadcast. I was wondering if anyone knows of any free mp3 broadcasting services out there where I might be able to rebuild that station. I'd really like to get it going again.

Thanks,

Yukon

robaustin

First Post
You're not going to find any. WIth the DMCA - the artists must get paid their royalties - and that includes internet broadcasts. I did a lot of research, and Live365 - at $7.95 a month for the most basic broadcasts - is still the best bargain around.

--*Rob

Li Shenron

Legend
Until few months ago there was a great internet radio broadcasted by italian site www.ketaweb.it and it was free. I heard it was the biggest european internet radio with over 80 thematic channels, but unfortunately it was closed, probably because of new laws about royalties.

You could really find anything among those 80+ channels. Nowadays I can only find radios with fee or with lots of commercials, and the music is always the same mainstream that you hear anywhere else... :(

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
There's a radio service which comes with the latest Netscape browser which has 200+ channels. You can find freaking everything; there's even a station which broadcasts nothing but "the sounds of nature" 24/7. There are metal stations, classical stations, whatever.

However, I think Yukon is looking for a service to set up his own radio. With the DMCA, I doubt you'll find it for free. You could set up a server yourself, but if I've understood correctly these new USA copyright laws, it would be illegal. I have no clue on how to get around this, sorry.

Drawmack

First Post
yeah that's an idea you could contact spinner abuot setting up a station on them they use advertising (1 commercial every 20 - 30 minutes)

Neowolf

First Post
Not sure how well it works nowadays (or if it's even still around) but you could do some basic broadcasting through Shoutcast (a companion program to Winamp). My friends and I used to mess with it a lot, it was really fun.

www.shoutcast.com

robaustin

First Post
Drawmack said:
yeah that's an idea you could contact spinner abuot setting up a station on them they use advertising (1 commercial every 20 - 30 minutes)

Spinner is run by Netscape - which is part of AOL Time/Warner - you're not going to be able to set up a station on them - their stations are all part of Spinner.com - which is a big site that programs their own stations - they don't let little guys set up little stations.

The beauty of Live365 is that you can upload MP3's and they play them back in whatever order you wish - so your PC doesn't have to do the work of playing them back.

Shoutcast is cool but Shoutcast works by having your PC do the playback of all the MP3's - so unless you're willing to leave your PC on 24/7 - that's not a viable option.

Live365 is still the best option out there. Cheap, 365 MB of server space for $7.95 a month - you can stream to multiple listeners at one time - and if you upload your MP3's - you don't even have to have your PC on for your stream to be running.

Check out my stream here:

http://positiverock.tripod.com

--*Rob

Psionicist

Explorer
robaustin said:

Spinner is run by Netscape - which is part of AOL Time/Warner - you're not going to be able to set up a station on them - their stations are all part of Spinner.com - which is a big site that programs their own stations - they don't let little guys set up little stations.

The beauty of Live365 is that you can upload MP3's and they play them back in whatever order you wish - so your PC doesn't have to do the work of playing them back.

Shoutcast is cool but Shoutcast works by having your PC do the playback of all the MP3's - so unless you're willing to leave your PC on 24/7 - that's not a viable option.

Live365 is still the best option out there. Cheap, 365 MB of server space for $7.95 a month - you can stream to multiple listeners at one time - and if you upload your MP3's - you don't even have to have your PC on for your stream to be running.

Check out my stream here:

http://positiverock.tripod.com

--*Rob

"Your PC". You can have more than one computer. I have six, and I am by not any means a wealthy person.

Drawmack

First Post
yeah at least one of my dozen systems is always on, some of my clients would be pretty upset if I shut off their web servers on a regular basis.

Remove ads