Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour: The Warlord

Satyrn

First Post
No I mean one of the fundamental tenets I've seen Warlord fans state is that a Warlord has to be non-magical...

Absolutely, we want to be able to play a warlord without any magical abilities.

But I'm sure we're also flexible enough to accept that there be the option to gain a splash of magic for those that want that.

I just feel like Warlord shouldn't be it's own class, and they should just use subclasses to get the ideas of the warlord.

Same with Gunslingers in my opinion.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont know if Mearls and co. look the work of 3PP sometime, but I'm positive that they could find inspiration for a great martial support class that fits the power level of 5e by mixing features from AiME Scholar and Warden to create a base class that uses its wits to influence the ebbs and flows of the battle, while being wise enough to avoid them first. Both class are great take on spell-less healers/support that use 5e mechanics; they are just a little underpowered in a regular game where fullcaster are a thing.

Warden
1d8, medium armor + shield, martial weapons, save in Wis and Str
lvl1: Wounds Binding: Healing Die pool (on short rest), Watchfulness: Investigation test in a region to gather a all rumors, Momentum Die (as bard, 1d6 lvl1, 1d8 lvl11, 1d10 lvl 17), on Long Rest, 1+Int/day)
lvl2: Field Triage: Gain prof. in Medicine and Healers Kit, if already have it, double.
lvl3: Archetype Feature
lvl4: ASI
lvl5: Extra attack
lvl6: Battle Harmony: as a bonus action when Attacking OR Using an action to heal an ally, the warden can spend a Momentum Die to let an ally make an attack, adding the die to attack)
lvl7: Archetype feature
lvl8: ASI
lvl9: Stall tactic: 1/Short rest, when Initiative is rolled, enemy musk make a Int check against 10+your Insight skill or receive a - Int penalty to Initiative.
lvl 10: Find a Way: Allies within 30 have advantage on survival, perception and investigation check to navigate or find hidden features.
lvl 11: Archetype Feature
lvl 12: ASI
lvl13: Hidden resources: 1/day you or an ally can use an expanded ability that's recovered on long rest one more time.
lvl 14: Unto the Breach: When you or an ally roll a nat 20, choose an ally within 30, he receives 1 free Momentum Dice.
Lvl 15: Archetype feature
lvl16: ASI
Lvl17: Unspoken tactics: Ally within sight no longer need to talk to communicate, all have advantage against target of an AO when it is next to an ally.
lvl18: The right word: can replace any Persuasion, Deception or Intimidate roll with a 15, Int/day.
lvl19: ASI
lvl20: Tireless: Start every encounter with 1 momentum die.

Archetypes
Banner of the Healer: Remove more stuff with healing Pool, maximize healing items, ally can share HD on short rests, Camps are under a Sanctuary-like spell.
Banner of the Emissary: Expertise in cha-skills, create Calm Emotion-like effect, defeated enemies charmed, Insight Check to give enemy disadvantage in all social skill against you.
Banner of the Sentinel: avoid Surprised condition, ally can add Momentum to defenses, health-surge on critical, 1/2 damage when next to a 0 HP ally.

I think that would be an interesting class.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
And primal!

Maybe call it the woodlord.

By divine I meant Druid/cleric types.

You don't need 10 classes all at once I would do 2 (tactical/inspiring) at least initially.

5E can support a warpord you just have to translate it to 5E design paradigms. A 5E fighter doesn't get weapon specialization from ad&d 5E wizards are weaker than 3.X. At will attack granting doesn't play nice in 5E but there's no reason they can't be better at it than the BM fighter.

Imaro

Legend
Absolutely, we want to be able to play a warlord without any magical abilities.

But I'm sure we're also flexible enough to accept that there be the option to gain a splash of magic for those that want that.

So why not just make a warlord subclass for each class?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases