RPG Evolution: Do We Still Need "Race" in D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "race" is a staple of fantasy that is now out of sync with modern usage. With Pathfinder shifting from "race" to "ancestry" in its latest edition, it raises the question: should fantasy games still use it?

DNDSpecies.gif

“Race” and Modern Parlance

We previously discussed the challenges of representing real-life cultures in a fantasy world, with African and Asian countries being just two examples. The discussion becomes more complicated with fantasy "races"—historically, race was believed to be determined by the geographic arrangement of populations. Fantasy gaming, which has its roots in fantasy literature, still uses the term “race” this way.

Co-creator of D&D Gary Gygax cited R.E. Howard's Conan series as an influence on D&D, which combines Lovecraftian elements with sword and sorcery. Howard's perceptions may have been a sign of the times he lived in, but it seems likely they influenced his stories. Robert B. Marks explains just how these stereotypes manifested in Conan's world:
The young, vibrant civilizations of the Hyborian Age, like Aquilonia and Nemedia, are white - the equivalent of Medieval Europe. Around them are older Asiatic civilizations like Stygia and Vendhya, ancient, decrepit, and living on borrowed time. To the northwest and the south are the barbarian lands - but only Asgard and Vanaheim are in any way Viking. The Black Kingdoms are filled with tribesmen evoking the early 20th century vision of darkest Africa, and the Cimmerians and Picts are a strange cross between the ancient Celts and Native Americans - and it is very clear that the barbarians and savages, and not any of the civilized people or races, will be the last ones standing.
Which leads us to the other major fantasy influence, author J.R.R. Tolkien. David M. Perry explains in an interview with Helen Young:
In Middle Earth, unlike reality, race is objectively real rather than socially constructed. There are species (elves, men, dwarves, etc.), but within those species there are races that conform to 19th-century race theory, in that their physical attributes (hair color, etc.) are associated with non-physical attributes that are both personal and cultural. There is also an explicit racial hierarchy which is, again, real in the world of the story.
The Angry GM elaborates on why race and culture were blended in Tolkien's works:
The thing is, in the Tolkienverse, at least, in the Lord of the Rings version of the Tolkienverse (because I can’t speak for what happened in the Cinnabon or whatever that other book was called), the races were all very insular and isolated. They didn’t deal with one another. Race and culture went hand in hand. If you were a wood elf, you were raised by wood elves and lived a thoroughly wood elf lifestyle until that whole One Ring issue made you hang out with humans and dwarves and halflings. That isolation was constantly thrust into the spotlight. Hell, it was a major issue in The Hobbit.
Given the prominence of race in fantasy, it's not surprising that D&D has continued the trend. That trend now seems out of sync with modern parlance; in 1951, the United Nations officially declared that the differences among humans were "insignificant in relation to the anthropological sameness among the peoples who are the human race."

“Race” and Game Design

Chris Van Dyke's essay on race back in 2008 explains how pervasive "race" is in D&D:
Anyone who has played D&D has spent a lot of time talking about race – “Racial Attributes,” “Racial Restrictions,” “Racial Bonuses.” Everyone knows that different races don’t get along – thanks to Tolkien, Dwarves and Elves tend to distrust each other, and even non-gamers know that Orcs and Goblins are, by their very nature, evil creatures. Race is one of the most important aspects of any fantasy role-playing game, and the belief that there are certain inherent genetic and social distinctions between different races is built into every level of most (if not all) Fantasy Role-Playing Games.
Racial characteristics in D&D have changed over time. Basic Dungeons & Dragons didn't distinguish between race and class for non-humans, such that one played a dwarf, elf, or halfling -- or a human fighter or cleric. The characteristics of race were so tightly intertwined that race and profession were considered one.

In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the changes became more nuanced, but not without some downsides on character advancement, particularly in allowing “demihumans” to multiclass but with level limits preventing them from exceeding humanity, who had unlimited potential (but could only dual-class).

With Fifth Edition, ability penalties and level caps have been removed, but racial bonuses and proficiencies still apply. The Angry GM explains why this is a problem:
In 5E, you choose a race and a class, but you also choose a background. And the background represents your formative education and socio-economic standing and all that other stuff that basically represents the environment in which you were raised. The racial abilities still haven’t changed even though there is now a really good place for “cultural racial abilities” to live. So, here’s where the oddity arises. An elf urchin will automatically be proficient with a longsword and longbow, two weapons that requires years of training to even become remotely talent with, but a human soldier does not get any automatic martial training. Obviously, in both cases, class will modify that. But in the life of your character, race happens first, then background, and only later on do you end up a member of a class. It’s very quirky.
Perhaps this is why Pathfinder decided to take a different approach to race by shifting to the term “ancestry”:
Beyond the narrative, there are many things that have changed, but mostly in the details of how the game works. You still pick a race, even though it is now called your ancestry. You still decide on your class—the rulebook includes all of the core classes from the First Edition Core Rulebook, plus the alchemist. You still select feats, but these now come from a greater variety of sources, such as your ancestry, your class, and your skills.
"Ancestry" is not just a replacement for the word “race.” It’s a fluid term that requires the player to make choices at character creation and as the character advances. This gives an opportunity to express human ethnicities in game terms, including half-elves and half-orcs, without forcing the “subrace” construct.

The Last Race

It seems likely that, from both a modern parlance and game design perspective, “race” as it is used today will fall out of favor in fantasy games. It’s just going to take time. Indigo Boock sums up the challenge:
Fantasy is a doubled edged sword. Every human culture has some form of fantasy, we all have some sort of immortal ethereal realm where our elven creatures dwell. There’s always this realm that transcends culture. Tolkien said, distinct from science fiction (which looks to the future), fantasy is to feel like one with the entire universe. Fantasy is real, deep human yearning. We look to it as escapism, whether we play D&D, or Skyrim, or you are like myself and write fantasy. There are unfortunately some old cultural tropes that need to be discarded, and it can be frustratingly slow to see those things phased out.
Here's hoping other role-playing games will follow Pathfinder's lead in how treats its fantasy people in future editions.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Tranquilis

Explorer
Tempest, meet teapot.

Again, I’d have no real problems with these “posts” if they weren’t cloaked as articles. All of these - especially by this freelancer - have a definitive position. They should be marked as editorials if they are to be placed in the News section.

Mallus

Legend
Using terms that refer to biology, like species, is genre breaking.
Depends on where your genre-breaking point is. D&D traditionally has a fair amount of genre-bending stuff in it. Psionics, spells like "Telekinesis", "Reverse-Gravity" and "Clone". Monsters that are less myth and more pulp science fiction. I'd say it helps define what D&D-style is as a sub-genre.

Shadow Demon

Explorer
Because pejoratives and slurs never existed prior to social media? People didn't get upset about words like "negro", "Eskimo", "Gypsy", and "retard" until Twitter was invented?

Oh, they existed and people dealt with it face-to-face. Now, it is all amplified in a meaningless, trivial vacuum.

Dire Bare

Legend
That's pretty sad if they actually censor people for using the term political correctness. I know it's a term of the right and I largely disagree with the people who use it but still, it's a thing. The term is a legitimate expression of opinion. Heavy-handed censorship of legitimate poltical discourse is unfortunate. Your solution that these people should "stay out of those threads" is another kind of censorship. Political censorship is anti-1st amendment and anti-American in my opinion.

Really? Grown-ups know better than this.

Words have literal, dictionary definitions or meanings. Sure. And words have connotations they have picked up over time. The word retard has a very clinical, specific use when talking about those with mental illness . . . well, it used to. Now it's a slur. The n-word (gah, I can't even type it) also had a specific, non-pejorative meaning at one point in the past. Please don't use it today. This is how language works dude, and I think you know this. The literal meanings and connotative meanings of words shift over time. Deal with it.

To claim that "political correctness" and "social justice warriors" is a "thing" and we shouldn't be bothered by them, is weak-sauce dude. Yes, they have, or had, non-pejorative meanings . . . but now they are used more often as slurs than to actually describe behavior in an objective way. They are not legitimate expressions of opinion, they are rude, disrespectful (and knowingly so) ways to express opinion.

To ask folks, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the fire" isn't remotely censorship, it's advice. Take it or leave it. To blather on about being anti-1st amendment and anti-American is rich, super rich. If Morrus is so eager to "censor" those whose opinions differ than his own, why is this thread filled with folks who disagree with each other? Have all of the "race-is-an-okay-term" folks gotten booted? Nope, only the ones who couldn't manage to express their opinions without also being rude and disrespectful.

Under the 1st amendment of the US constitution, you have every right to be a disrespectful ass. But Morrus is under no obligation to allow you to do so in his "house". Even if he was American!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do We Still Need "Race" in D&D?

That's pretty sad if they actually censor people for using the term political correctness. I know it's a term of the right and I largely disagree with the people who use it but still, it's a thing. The term is a legitimate expression of opinion. Heavy-handed censorship of legitimate poltical discourse is unfortunate. Your solution that these people should "stay out of those threads" is another kind of censorship. Political censorship is anti-1st amendment and anti-American in my opinion.

I’m not American, or a “they”; and that’s also not what your first amendment says. But that’s by-the-by. If you have questions about the civil inclusive behaviour I expect in this community, take it to the Meta forum and I’ll happily explain it to you in no uncertain terms. This is not the place for it.

Undermountain

First Post
The use of the term is technically incorrect, and that is the worst kind of incorrect. The socjus implications are way below my sensitivity threshold, but the misuse of the word bothers me.

Likewise, its most common replacement, "species". Also wrong.

Yes, this.

Here, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race :

[h=2]Definition of race[/h][FONT=&quot]: a breeding stock of animals
: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
3a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (such as a subspecies) representing such a group
b : breed
: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits
: inherited temperament or disposition
: distinctive flavor, taste, or strength
[/FONT]

'Ancestry' for example is more accurate (particularly because it elegantly includes the various half-xxx's and part-xxx's which none of the other suggestions do) but also more awkward to say, use and parse.

It is? That is highly subjective. I don't find it awkward in the least.

"Choosing an Ancestry."

"Your choice of ancestry affects many different aspects of your character."

"Your character ancestry not only affects your ability scores and traits but also provides the cues for building your character’s story. Each ancestry's description in this chapter includes information to help you roleplay a character of that ancestry, including..."

"Ancestral Traits"

"If a creature belonging to the type, ancestry, or group associated with an arrow of slaying takes damage from the arrow..."

and so on.

*shrug*

Oh, they existed and people dealt with it face-to-face. Now, it is all amplified in a meaningless, trivial vacuum.

Funny thing... the race vs ethnicity debate is old.

Here's a scan from my Sociology textbook, copyright 2000:
View attachment 95953

This book pre-dates Twitter by 6 years and Facebook by 4.
Looking at the citations in the book, this question and issue in a modern sense easily goes back to the mid-90s (and has much, much older origins).

This is not a social media issue. This is a long term cultural issue and problem with language. Dismissing it as a "social media problem" trivialises the issue. It's a fallacious way (ad hominem btw) of attacking the issue without having to address the substance and veracity of the issue itself.

As a black man who is 46 and has been playing RPG's since I was 12 I can tell you that in an overwhelmingly white hobby? This is just not true to my experience. AT ALL.

Let me clarify. Gamers are a subset of the population. If there are bigots and sexists in the general population? There are bigots and sexists in the gaming community. I'm not saying anything controversial by saying that the hobby is overwhelmingly white. Any Youtube video of streamed games or of GenCon Coverage will back this up. When you have a dominiant demographic there can and will be gatekeepers who decide that if you dont fit a certain look that you do not belong there. Gamers DO want to just game. But there are enough of these people out there that can make it a difficult proposition if youre not white and / or male (although it's getting better if youre not male).

I acknowledged that in my first post, there are exceptions to every rule. Racism, sexism, anything negative doesn't ever have a place at my table nor any of the other tables I've been at. Is it predominantly white? Yes it used to be. Dungeons and Dragons and RPGs have become more mainstream in the recent years. Before hand it was a game for outcasts and nerds, the downtrodden. I have met few gamers that have ever participated in such stupidity, the only one that comes to mind was banned from my group for being an :):):):):):):). We, the geeks and nerds who have played these games for generations, were all different, we were all stomped on, we know what it feels like. Bringing real-world politics, biased racial views, or anything negative to the table is self-serving and has no place in a gaming world. It's a place we go to get away from all that crap.

I've been doing this a long time, 25 years as a matter of fact. I speak from experience.

Li Shenron

Legend
The term "race" doesn't bother me when used to separate human characters from elves or dwarves...

I don't think "ancestry" or "heritage" are an improvement, to me they are more confusing terms.

An improvement for me would be to replace race with "creature" and subrace with "people" (if intelligent, for cultural variants) or "variety" (for biological variants).

In fact, every time I had to explain the game to beginners, I always had to explain that "race" doesn't have the same meaning as in RL but it means pretty much what creature you are. Using the word creature would also help eliminate the nonsense by which an orc or a drow or a tiefling is a "monster" when played by the DM but becomes a "race" if given to a player or promoted to the PHB in a certain edition...

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases